Quigley

ITALY (Botteghino): 'Kung Fu Panda 4' becomes biggest 2024 film

On 9/4/2023 at 12:58 PM, Borobudur said:

Prove that studio coming to Italy for shooting was really not for money. And the two highest grossing film of 2023 in Italy have nothing to do with Italy at all. 

They don't care about local BO, that's not the reason why they keep coming here. It's for the tax credit, it's a financial thing. Plus they like to set stories or portion of movies here. There are more coming, even big ones, which I know but I can't tell anything for obv reasons 😂

The problem that could happen is that in some movies, like The Equalizer 3 which I saw and it's the perfect example, is that is completely weird for an italian audience, it seems like a parody, but it's supposed to be serious. A movie completely shot and set in Italy with a lot of italian actors... which is almost unwatchable for us. The kid (a camorrista) speaks in a way that could be some sicilian mixed up with calabrian. A camorrista (Naples, Campania) that speaks like a sicilian? You simply stop believe everything and you start laughing, it's complete nonsense. His friends, some of them speak a perfect italian. A camorrista speaking a perfect italian? They speak their dialect and nothing else, they speak neapolitan, they don't speak like a lawyer. I laughed all the time. I can stand almost everything (it's full of americans classic stereotypes about us, like the fact that they think we scream a lot and all the italian actor are overacting all the time because... yes, italians are very expressive), but you have to document yourself, you can't let them speak in an other language. It turn everything into ridicolous. Just to make an example, it's like if you set a movie in Madrid and everyone speak Catalan. Then show the movie to a spanish audience.

For example MI7 was way better under this point of view, it had none of this problems.

Edited by Zamor
  • Like 3

From 17 to 21 September tickets will cost just 3.50 euros due to the return of the event "Cinema in Festa"

In june admissions increased by a good percentage but not enough to increase the expected box office, let's see how it does this time

• Like 1

Today opens Haunting in Venice which will surely be first, a small recap as we are today: 

Barbie - €31.7M / 4.3M adm

Oppenheimer - €23.4M / 3.0M adm

The Nun 2 - €4.0M / 520k adm
The Equalizer 3 - €1.6M / 215k adm

Io Capitano - €0.6M / 95k adm

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MG10 said:

From 17 to 21 September tickets will cost just 3.50 euros due to the return of the event "Cinema in Festa"

In june admissions increased by a good percentage but not enough to increase the expected box office, let's see how it does this time

It won't help Oppy as it's ATP will go down big time. That said it has exceeded all pre release expectations. 

• Like 1

I just watched Murder in Venice and I must say I liked it, better than the second and also shorter. In any case here it will easily gross more than the previous and I hope the rest of the world will follow

I also remember that at the end of the year Cineguru shows the highest grossing movies in the main cities and I can't wait to see the results in province of Venice, will it outgross Guardians of the Galaxy or The Little Mermaid? We'll see

"Haunting in Venice" opened first with 2M euros, higher than the 1.8M of the previous and with better marketing and reviews. Let's see the legs now

I should also mention The Nun 2 which is doing really well and should outgross the first movie

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Is the weather playing a role here as well? I am told Europe is still very sunny and pleasant and so folks prefer to be outdoors. I hope Oppenheimer late legs can take it to 30m USD at least. 

don't really think so, but italy is definitely a market where legs can fall off hard and suddenly especially when holiday periods end. oppy probably will finish around 27M after last weekend I guess.

it's not cold per se but it's not really super hot either, but last week with schools starting again oppenheimer really took too much of a hit even in the weekend

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 2

Expend4bles was 5th on thursday and 6th on friday with respectively 87k thu and 81k friday. Expendables 3's OD was 339k.

Embarassing is all I can say.

Oppenheimer held well with 186k and -32%, still on track for 27-28M. Haunting in Venice had an excellent hold at -11%, 361k friday, 3.7M cume.

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 2