CJohn

Underworld: Blood Wars | Jan 6, 2017 | First Trailer on Page 7

Why is there the assumption that the Marketing costs were that high? I mean, really, this was not heavily marketed. A few targeted ads but this did not get some massive marketing campaign that cost $20m. 

If there was an idea to extended the Underworld saga beyond Kate they've left it open to wholly recast her daughter. Cast the right up and coming actress and you have some chance, some, or doing a soft reboot of the saga. Wrap up Kate's story and move forward, or at least leave it open to move on with another lead. 

The fact it cost so much less and will do at/over $100m is good enough for this type film sometimes. We'll know more in a few weeks. 

• Like 4

A three day drop of 55% is actually better than I'd have thought. I was totally thinking 60% was likely.

The 4-day MLK tally taking UW:BW to $25.4m is a nice enough figure.

UW:BW will pass $30m but it's theater drops will determine if it gets to $35m.

So far so good, breakeven has been about the expectation for an entry in this saga for a few films now. With a reduced budget they knew what the likely target was. I'd wager they are pleased that it's coming along at least as expected. Sure, what studio doesn't hope for more but that's neither here nor there at the moment. 

LOL, @K1stpierre you didn't read any of the preceding posts did you? I get it, the posts above mine are a jumbled mess of chatter.

Substantial, no. However this franchise has never been about that. It seems, like ResEvil, that doing around break even or over is about all that's needed. 

This installment is thus far flirting with that as well. It's a more solid story outing than UW:4 (Awakening) and if BW is the last it can be viewed as a closing door but there is still a thread or so to pull if they so chose. 

On January 7, 2017 at 0:41 PM, Jay Hollywood said:

Its marketing cost where the same though.

Budget 35m 

Marketing 25 (probably more)

30m Domestic = 16.5m

60m OS =24m 

Thats 40.5m, A loss of almost 20m off theatrical release. They won't loose any money after its all said and done, probably break even maybe make a buck or two, but there is no where to go but down from here. 

Its the 5th movies and its going to sell half as many tickets as current Lowest Seller in the series domestically. Its Over.

Remember when all those Underworld Loons like @Bishop54 spent days and pages saying I have no idea what I'm talking about and its going to make a profit and easily clear well over 100. My estimates are mean, its never gonna go that low. 

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Didn't even hit 60m OS so I over predicted a bit even. I nailed the 30m domestic gross too. 

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=underworld5.htm 

I still gotta see this/buy the blu-ray. Assume its better than 4. 

On 1/15/2017 at 6:40 PM, Bishop54 said:

What have you seen from the marketing that points to costing that much?

Sony Marketing cost

Underworld Evolution

Total: 51.6m

domestic theatrical release: 31.6m

international theatrical release: 7.572m

Underworld Rises of the lycans

Total: 42.7m

domestic theatrical release: 26.6m

international theatrical release: 7.9m

Underworld Awakening

Total: 51.4m

domestic theatrical release: 28m

international theatrical release: 16.13

Resident evil retribution

Total: 62.127m

domestic theatrical release: 28.52m

international theatrical release: 26.79m

30m on marketing for a world released movie would be on the very cheap side.