CJohn

Underworld: Blood Wars | Jan 6, 2017 | First Trailer on Page 7

3 minutes ago, mredman said:

yeah critics but most say its the best Underworld since the original. I think it will get there. Plus home entertainment sales across the world on Blu-Ray/DVD ect...

Really?  "Most" say it's the best since the original?  Hmm...

IMDB - 6.4/10 (equal to Awakening, and that 6.4 is still with really the only people having seen it being big fans of the series and having only 7k votes)

CinemaScore - B+ (lower than Awakening's A-)

RT Audience score - 61% liked it (compared to Awakening's 62%, and this is still with fan rush)

Metacritic user reviews - 3.9/10 (compared to Awakening's 6.3/10)

All signs point to it being less well-received than Awakening.  I'm not saying it won't break even, but another sequel to a movie that, from what I've heard, apparently wraps up the series as a whole, isn't exactly a wise business decision.  And after 2016's mixed performance when it comes to sequels, I have a feeling most studios will think twice before greenlighting an unnecessary sequel.

• Like 3

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 2:02 PM, Bishop54 said:

IMDB is a joke, the past couple years they've opened up voting for a film before it even arrives in theaters.

I used 3 other sources outside of IMDB.  Are those ones bias too?  Hell, Metacritic embargoes voting until the day of release.

• Like 2

So with Tuesday dailies that moves UW:BW up to $16.3m

Do we think by Thursday dailies that it'll be at or just over $18m?

Second weekend drop, would 60% be considered a "good" drop in this instance you think? Too conservative?

So about a $5m second weekend and UW:BW is in the $23m domestic total range. Can it do another $12m to hit "break even" with budget or will it's theater drops be so severe that never happens?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Captain Craig said:

So with Tuesday dailies that moves UW:BW up to $16.3m

Do we think by Thursday dailies that it'll be at or just over $18m?

Second weekend drop, would 60% be considered a "good" drop in this instance you think? Too conservative?

So about a $5m second weekend and UW:BW is in the $23m domestic total range. Can it do another $12m to hit "break even" with budget or will it's theater drops be so severe that never happens?

Being a holiday weekend I would say $5M would be a disaster.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Captain Craig said:

I forgot about it being a Holiday weekend. So about 6.5m would be a better target?

That would still be a 50% drop over it's 3 day OW, so that wouldn't be great either considering predictions for the other film call for very soft drops.

Edited by Bishop54
  • Like 1

I just got back in from a late afternoon matinee($10)!!

I missed the first 3-5minutes but felt like I was able to piece things together. Anyone want to pick me up from the point just before Selene and David are in the tunnels/sewers feel free to PM me or Spoiler Code it.

I found the film did a really good job of being relevant to the UW franchise lore. I could see closure, I can also see a thread or two pull on for another installment.

@shayhiri is in incorrect, the film is highly enjoyable. 

I grade it a strong B. A second viewing could take my grade either way but it's still very solid and is more than just action pieces stitched together with no thought. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Captain Craig said:

I just got back in from a late afternoon matinee($10)!!

I missed the first 3-5minutes but felt like I was able to piece things together. Anyone want to pick me up from the point just before Selene and David are in the tunnels/sewers feel free to PM me or Spoiler Code it.

I found the film did a really good job of being relevant to the UW franchise lore. I could see closure, I can also see a thread or two pull on for another installment.

@shayhiri is in incorrect, the film is highly enjoyable. 

I grade it a strong B. A second viewing could take my grade either way but it's still very solid and is more than just action pieces stitched together with no thought. 

There is Selene going over a recap of the previous film to get us up to speed. She then goes into saying she's seen a thousand full moons and doesn't care to see another because she's lost everything. Her coven, her daughter, her love...all gone.  She's on the run from both vampires and lycans. She's an outcast. The lycans beat her down but David makes the save. He then tells Selene about the villain and asks about Eve.

• Like 2

So, that sequence that starts around the :45 mark of the video, where Selene and David are in that underground tunnel/aqueduct, is that in the opening minutes of the movie?

I assume their talk happens after a confrontation? This looks to be the opening few minutes part I missed. 

Thanks BBC show for showing me this and filling a bit of my gap. 

21 minutes ago, Captain Craig said:

So, that sequence that starts around the :45 mark of the video, where Selene and David are in that underground tunnel/aqueduct, is that in the opening minutes of the movie?

I assume their talk happens after a confrontation? This looks to be the opening few minutes part I missed. 

Thanks BBC show for showing me this and filling a bit of my gap. 

I filled in the gap for you I thought?

Based on the movie's domestic performance, it'll probably finish it with something between 30-35 million.

Overseas grosses are better. I guess the movie will probably end its run with 90-100 million worldwide. Perhaps we'll get a final movie. I mean, if Rise of The Lycans made less than 100 million worldwide and  we still got a sequel, chances are that we'll see a final Underworld that will probably be heavily promoted like the final Resident Evil movie.

Edited by Blaze Heatnix
  • Like 2