19 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

My thoughts on Rio 1: Horribly cliche, but has good music, fantastic animation and Nigel is awesome.

My thoughts on Rio 2: Horribly cliche, but has good music, fantastic animation and Nigel is awesome.

That said the cliches feel more annoying this time and Nigel and his team do not get nearly enough screentime. Seriously, all the posters and trailers set him up as the Big Bad of the film, but he's mainly just used as a comedic ineffectual villain and rarely at that. And the real Big Bad, the loggers, are just stereotypical and boring in comparison. The bird comic reliefs from the first film (don't ask me to remember their names), while tolerable, feel entirely unnecessary and only seem to be there because they were in the last film.  

Also, one line in this movie really pissed me off. It's when Blu is about to leave the Macaws to find Linda and Tulio and Jewel confronts him and tells him he needs to stop thinking about himself. I was just like 'Wait, what? Lady, the guy flew all the way to the Amazon (despite obviously not being happy with it) just for you. He did his utmost best to fit in just for you. He spent most of the movie trying to make you happy and now, because he doesn't want to stay in a place where everyone hates him, you think he needs to stop thinking about himself? Hell, you haven't done anything other than get your own way. Why don't you stop thinking about yourself?' I'm sorry, but pretty much any sympathy I had for her went out the window after that. That pissed me off so much.

That said, the music and animation are still both great and Nigel is so enjoyable to watch that I can't hate it completely, but it's not that good a film. Go rewatch Lego Movie or Mr Peabody instead. C

A+

What a beautiful movie! And since Disney has betrayed me and no longer makes animation that looks beautiful i'm so happy someone is doing it. I really feel like Rio 2 is one of the best looking things i've ever seen in my life. I'd place it slightly behind Henry Cavill's face (but not by much). Great songs as well and I have to remember to get the soundtrack. The storyline could have been a bit tighter. I would have done away with all the Nigel/'poisonous' frog shenanigans but that's a minor complaint. Extreme beauty such as this can create its own rules.

Did I mention how beautiful this movie is because... I have to see this again tomorrow. I haven't been so wowed by visuals since Life of Pi. What a delight.

Posted Image

Edited by glassfairy