John Marston

The Expendables 3 OS Thread

From what I'm seeing, the Sunday estimates that Rentrak and the studios get from China can be quite off.Last weekend, HTTYD2 was reported as having a China cume of $57.3M even though we had more accurate tracking through the week that placed its cume at ~$63M. The next day, the official weekly numbers came in from China, and suddenly the cume was bumped up to $63.2M - in line with the numbers we already had access to.I just checked Deadline, and they give Rentrak's China cume estimate for EX3 as $33M. No, I don't know why their OS cume is only at $88M; even with only $33M added onto last weekend's $59M OS total, it should add up to at least $91M. Maybe last weekend's Rentrak cume estimate turned out to be too high?Either way, when the China weekly numbers come in, I expect the China cume and OS total to both magically jump up.Oh and note that they say that Rentrak has EX3 at #2 behind Apes, but that Fox's own sources have Apes in second place - meaning Fox's people may actually have a more accurate China estimate for EX3 than Rentrak does...

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 3

I'm not sure if Rentrak is tracking the movie everywhere and they don't have the full data which is why BOM doesn't update it to match on the same day like all the other movies but updates it in the middle of the week instead.

Last week Rentrak had the movie at making $59 million overseas as of the 31st but when BOM finally updated it then it they had it at $71 million as of the 31st.

And yeah if they're estimating it at doing $33 million then it should be at a lot more than $88 million.

I'm confused about something, last week Rentrak put EX3 at $59 million overseas.

Since then it opened in China, it's made an estimated $40 million according to the Chinese thread and obviously would have made money in all the other countries.

But Rentrak has updated it again and now the movie stands at $88 million overseas, so only adding $29 million in the past week.

How's that make sense?

Yes, this makes no sense, but no problem. Rentrak is often behind if a film has many different distributors like Ex3. I think we won't get the right numbers till Wednesday or Thursday and then from boxofficemojo. It should be around 160M or a bit lower at the moment (108M+ 40M from China + the rest).

• Like 1

So it should clear 200 WW, not a total disaster, but not what it should have done.

Yea....guess it has few more markets to open??? if yes then it can easily cross 200M with help of china as well

2nd weekend it has dropped hard in most of the Intl markets :( brazil was better sub 30% 

F*****g Piracy 

Edited by Superstancer
  • Like 1

I don't think it will cross the $200 million mark.

The drops are too hard, plus it only has one big market (Japan) to come.

My guess:

$188m. - $194m.

Yea drops are very hard...but still China is oly hope...it shud cross 200M #FingersCrossed

It wont breakout in japan.....i guesstimate less than 10M 

This week the numbers from Rentrak are at least more correct with a total of 178.3M.

My guestimate would be that it is around 190M: 153.2M (BOM with Friday) + 0.9M (US weekend) + 27-28M (China, 8 days) + the rest (around 7M).

Edited by el sid
  • Like 1

This week the numbers from Rentrak are at least more correct with a total of 178.3M.My guestimate would be that it is around 190M: 153.2M (BOM with Friday) + 0.9M (US weekend) + 27-28M (China, 8 days) + the rest (around 7M).

With china will gross around $70 m, $200 is a guarantee at this point. Japan will add around $7-10 m as well. My money is $205-210 for its final gross.
  • Like 1