grim22

Barbie | July 21, 2023 | Warner Bros | Margot Robbie is Barbie. Ryan Gosling is Ken. | Second most profitable movie of 2023

Everything from promotional barbie material  seems like great cinema in every aspect, like these 50s Classic great american movies. 

I'm surprised people can't recognize It cause especially in Barbie Land you see the cinema and how people are Just into everything having the same stile they find weird some early scene in Barbie Land seems lime they act It's barbieland (miming like a 50s TV ads) and it's not not just a copy of  Marvel humour. 

And clearly not all the movie is like that. 

Edited by vale9001

57 minutes ago, joselowe said:

Fans and critics are two different groups. All I'm saying is that we don't know how official (non-fans) critics are going to feel about the film. We only have a piece of one review from a critic which is relatively mixed. It's been called a rave review from fans but a mixed review from other publications

One quote already has mixed interpretations

https://www.sportskeeda.com/comics/barbie-a-fun-ambitious-adventure-according-early-review

https://screenrant.com/barbie-movie-review-reactions-early/

This mixed review would basically be a 7.5/10 🤣

51 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

I am aware of that, was asking in the sense of them taking the skeleton of the pg-cut and turning it into a hypothetical pg-13 final product, instead of using the "real" pg-13 cut that they test screened to very positive reception

a kind of trying to get the best of both worlds gone wrong

There‘a some evidence for this I guess - the PG-13 version seen in April had a very funny f-bomb according to reviewers, whereas this one doesn’t (we know from BBFC breakdown of language advisory). But impossible to know until we get reviews from people who’ve seen both.

Edited by Redolent
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

Everything from promotional barbie material  seems like great cinema in every aspect, like these 50s Classic great american movies. 

I'm surprised people can't recognize It cause especially in Barbie Land you see the cinema and how people are Just into everything having the same stile they find weird some early scene in Barbie Land seems lime they act It's barbieland (miming like a 50s TV ads) and it's not not just a copy of  Marvel humour. 

And clearly not all the movie is like that. 

I am sure that plenty of people will adore this film and really vibe with it. It is also likely that other people will be turned off by how camp it is. I by no means think it will be bad. Just maybe not for everyone.

But it will be a huge blockbuster regardless of the reviews. That is pretty clear by now.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MotionPictured said:

I am sure that plenty of people will adore this film and really vibe with it. It is also likely that other people will be turned off by how camp it is. I by no means think it will be bad. Just maybe not for everyone.

But it will be a huge blockbuster regardless of the reviews. That is pretty clear by now.

People really want a Camp movie and not It's not all camp. It's confirmed by every source second parte of the movie became actually this kind of good feeling and crowds pleasing emotional story.

This movie Will be exactly what millenial women and gen Z involved by the promotional material (isn't certainly hidding Its style) want from It. 

Edited by vale9001

4 minutes ago, MotionPictured said:

It’s guaranteed to turn a profit, but it will still need good WOM / legs - even if not critical acclaim  -in order to make the big money people are hoping for. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Redolent said:

It’s guaranteed to turn a profit, but it will still need good WOM / legs - even if not critical acclaim  -in order to make the big money people are hoping for. 

Doesn't need any critical acclaim to make money. No movie actually needs critical acclaim to make money but just WOM.

6 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

Doesn't need any critical acclaim to make money. No movie actually needs critical acclaim to make money but just WOM.

OK but that’s still somewhat simplistic…there can be a connection, eg mistake of premiering Indiana Jones at Cannes

Edited by Redolent
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Redolent said:

OK but that’s still somewhat simplistic…there can be a connection, eg mistake of premiering Indiana Jones at Cannes

What connection?. People just don't care about this movie. 

What has an impact on box office as quality input on peopme perception are prizes and awards.

Critics doesn't impact box office or change the Destiny of a movie. Only wom matters. 

Edited by vale9001

2 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

What connection?. People just don't care about this movie. 

What has an impact on box office as quality input on peopme perception are prizes and awards.

Critics doesn't impact box office or change the Destiny of a movie. Only wom matters. 

If SOME movies sit on poor critical reception for weeks at a time then people won’t go to see the movie in the first place. By the time WOM starts to turn things around it’s too late. Anyway like I said it doesn’t apply to Barbie at this stage…

Jesus I feel like everything has to turn into an argument in this thread.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Redolent said:

More speculation in the comments.

I love how that one guy is going into other people's twitter thread and posting the same image that he made, and basically repeating what he feels about the speculation, lol.

I mean, yeah we don't know what the reviews of Barbie will be yet, but these certain types of journalist and "critics" like to shape certain type of narrative early. It's almost predictable who these people are.

On 7/6/2023 at 1:04 PM, vale9001 said:

Mhhh could be Sam Smith cause It's not binary but, with all the respect, the description about "One of the fucking greatest living artist" seems to much.

With these description if It's a shocking name I'm thinking to like one of these Classic rocker.

Like... Paul McCartney? 😇.

Why am I getting Britney vibes from that comment? Especially since Britney in her day was often viewed with that stereotypical “Barbie” type blonde bombshell pop star image, so that may be the personal tie referenced… 

It was almost certainly referring to Billie, PopBase also got the quote completely wrong, it wasn't referring to the last artist at all, much less after her announcement. 

Mark Ronson who is curating the music for the movie basically alluded to it in the same interview that the quote is from since the interviewer directly follows up by asking about Billie, and Billie posted the quote on her Instagram story. The personal tie is also the stuff she posted on her story having grown up with Barbie and it affecting her deeply.

Actual quote (before Billie was announced):

F0fhj8PagAAdAn2?format=png&name=small

Billie posted this in her announcement:

F0fhi79agAApfRN?format=jpg&name=large

Edited by Bobzaruni
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Redolent said:

If SOME movies sit on poor critical reception for weeks at a time then people won’t go to see the movie in the first place. By the time WOM starts to turn things around it’s too late. Anyway like I said it doesn’t apply to Barbie at this stage…

Jesus I feel like everything has to turn into an argument in this thread.

You said for this movie performing how people want this Need "critical acclaim".

Not and no movie Need that. Movies have existed for 120 years before RT and before people knowing about "critical acclaim" or Reading maybe more than just one review on news papers.

Do you think Babylon having 75 on metacritic instead of 58 would have changed everything about his box office performance?. What matters is people caring about a movie and people likes It once It comes.

Critics are Just for conversations not for the box office, at least It's not some Little indie movie bit even for that awards and prizes at festival have more effect than any review. 

Indiana Jones flopped cause few people cared and were captured by the promotional material. While Barbie looks old great cinemas with incredibile costuems, sets and everything that looked Just another cgi fest nobody asked for with an 80 years old main actor. Even with a 58 on metacritic the previous chapter would have been an event. 

Edited by vale9001

12 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

You said for this movie performing how people want this Need "critical acclaim".

Err no, I said the exact opposite. You’re so gunning to fight people about this movie that you’re misreading things.

It’s guaranteed to turn a profit, but it will still need good WOM / legs - even if not critical acclaim  -in order to make the big money people are hoping for. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bobzaruni said:

It was almost certainly referring to Billie, PopBase also got the quote completely wrong, it wasn't referring to the last artist at all, much less after her announcement. 

Mark Ronson who is curating the music for the movie basically alluded to it in the same interview that the quote is from since the interviewer directly follows up by asking about Billie, and Billie posted the quote on her Instagram story. The personal tie is also the stuff she posted on her story having grown up with Barbie and it affecting her deeply.

Actual quote (before Billie was announced):

F0fhj8PagAAdAn2?format=png&name=small

Billie posted this in her announcement:

F0fhi79agAApfRN?format=jpg&name=large

Wow, that seems random as hell for Barbie lol, but I guess it fits well with the gen z appeal.