XoE6xYQ.png

M4hT1dC.png

At this stage I'd say it's locked to pass Thor. It's having some stupid good holds. Pretty crazy that the last two Marvel flicks are gonna be their second and third highest ever here. Can IW continue the streak?

• Like 2

Looks like Peter Rabbit is doing pretty well.    

Now that BP has dropped out of the top 4 you can’t get the nice visual rectangle summary for it, right? How’s it going compared to the other high-performing MCU movies at  a similar point in their run?

1 minute ago, Sliver Legion said:

Looks like Peter Rabbit is doing pretty well.    

Now that BP has dropped out of the top 4 you can’t get the nice visual rectangle summary for it, right? How’s it going compared to the other high-performing MCU movies at  a similar point in their run?

Thor did 233k in its 7th week and had a 6.81M total. That ended up at 7M.

BP just did 239k in its 7th week and is currently sitting at $6,960,109. Should be good for about 7.2M total, if not more. Second highest MCU movie here after the The Avengers.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

1 hour ago, aabattery said:

Thor did 233k in its 7th week and had a 6.81M total. That ended up at 7M.

BP just did 239k in its 7th week and is currently sitting at $6,960,109. Should be good for about 7.2M total, if not more. Second highest MCU movie here after the The Avengers.

I'm glad you've done the calculations because I've been too lazy to bother since it fell out of the top 4. And I was wondering how it'd hold up this week with all the new releases but it's done pretty well considering.

3 minutes ago, Gamora said:

I'm glad you've done the calculations because I've been too lazy to bother since it fell out of the top 4. And I was wondering how it'd hold up this week with all the new releases but it's done pretty well considering.

I'll let you in on a secret and tell you that I did no calculuations. You can get all the actuals/totals/whatever here:

http://www.mpda.org.nz/reports/weekend

http://www.mpda.org.nz/reports/weekly

Speaking of the MPDA, I don't think I ever posted there press release from January:

24 January 2018
2017: A YEAR OF CONSOLIDATION FOR THE NEW ZEALAND FILM INDUSTRY

In 2017 the New Zealand motion picture industry drew its breath from the HUNT FOR THE WILDERPEOPLE’s record breaking success of 2016 to post a total Gross Box Office for 2017 of $189,660,000, down slightly from 2016’s record breaking revenues of $206,605,000.
Leading the way in 2017 was the Taika Waititi helmed THOR: RANGORAK which took in an impressive $7,008,315 at the Box Office, making it two in a row for Taika following the record-breaking success of HUNT FOR THE WILDERPEOPLE in 2016. BEAUTY AND THE BEAST came in second with close to $6.5 million, while STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI took in a further $5,845,604 in 2017. DUNKIRK and MOANA rounded out the top five, at $5,833,201 and $5,480,819 respectively.
The top ten was completed by GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 2, DESPICABLE ME 3, THE FATE OF THE FURIOUS, WONDER WOMAN and LION. The first three of these movies grossed in excess of $5 million in Box Office with the remaining two films grossing well over $4 million.

“Given the runaway success of HUNT FOR THE WILDERPEOPLE in 2016 we were not at all surprised to see a return to normality in the 2017 Box Office here”, said Chair of the MPDA, Peter Garner. “We are pleased that once again consumers are being provided with a wide variety of movie choices and genres. New Zealand replicated the international success of a number of films with 8 out of the top ten movies breaking $5 million in Box Office revenues”. Mr Garner also noted “The exhibition sector continues to re-invest in the local market in its drive to provide first class facilities for New Zealand audiences. We look forward to the opening of the new Hoyts multiplex in central Christchurch later this year as that city continues its rebuild of entertainment facilities.”

Managing Director of the MPDA, Matthew Cheetham, noted the findings of the Film Commission’s late 2017 report which showed that overall NZ’s screen industry contributes around $1.05 billion to real GDP and around $706 million to exports annually (http://www.nzfilm.co.nz/sites/nzfc/files/NZIER%20report%20the%20Economic%20Contribution%20of%20the%20Screen%20Industry%2022%20November%202017.pdf). Mr Cheetham also commented on the challenges faced by the movie and TV industry in recent years, “When we have the illegal file sharing site the Pirate Bay as New Zealand’s 19th most popular site in New Zealand, it is clear that legitimate movie and TV distribution channels face challenges”. Mr Cheetham hoped that the Government would do its best to address any illegal challenges as it undertakes a review of the Copyright Act, by such means as updating the Act to include site blocking as Australia and Singapore have recently done.
NZ also continues to be a world class production venue and key source of high quality employment. As the Film Commission’s report found, There were 14,000 people working in the industry in 2015 and median earnings in the industry are growing faster than the average for the New Zealand economy.

For further media comment please contact:
Matthew Cheetham
Managing Director of the NZ Motion Picture Distributors’ Association

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aabattery said:

I'll let you in on a secret and tell you that I did no calculuations. You can get all the actuals/totals/whatever here:

http://www.mpda.org.nz/reports/weekend

http://www.mpda.org.nz/reports/weekly

Speaking of the MPDA, I don't think I ever posted there press release from January:

Absolutely fantastic resources, thank you. Looks like Ragnarok finished with 7.07, so 7.3 might even be in reach for Panther.

• Like 1

2 Avengers, The Walt Disney 25.04.2012 $2,038,157 115 $1,019,844

The Avengers had pretty much exactly the same date back in 2012 (Wednesday opening and all) so this is the target for IW this week. Should theoretically get the Wednesday number this Thursday (aka roughly 72 hours from now). No idea how high it'll go but I think TLJ might be a good benchmark. Maybe a little bit under to account for the Wednesday OD.

12 minutes ago, aabattery said:

Gonna go with a 1.2M OD. Might be a lil' optimistic but the IMAX has been operating at pretty much full capacity since 12:00PM and pretty much every other theatre seems hella busy.

All the IMAX sessions have sold out today (the 10pm has a single non-wheelchair seat left), and like I said in the main thread I had people who must've bought the wheelchair seats and were standing at the back of the theatre, so it was truly sold out. And looking through the sessions for all Events showings they're all mostly either sold out or have limited seats left, so it's fair enough to be optimistic about OD for this.

And I saw Rth mention that the Aussie websites were having a shit fit today and I remembered that the Reading one was down for a few hours since I was trying to check how those sessions were going. Hoyts was also slow the one time I checked that, so I guess Events was the only one to hold up here, too.

Edited by Gamora
  • Like 1