Emirazza

Most overrated Actors and Actresses

Just something I've noticed: a lot of actors and actresses are rated fine, imo. But, I feel like a ton of performances are overrated. By that, I mean that most Oscar performances I've seen are very good, even great, but they aren't brilliant the way most people feel they are. I can tell that the actors and actresses are doing a good job when I see these performances, but I can also tell that I'm watching a performance as opposed to something that feels natural. Few performances are ever transcendent or brilliant. Examples of where I've felt this include Christian Bale in The Fighter, Jennifer Lawrence in SLP, Jessica Chastian in ZDT, Mickey Rourke in The Wrestler. All of these performances were supposedly brilliant according to my friends, and when I went to see all 3, I loved them, but I also never felt like these were truly that special or amazing.With that in mind, I do think Leonardo DiCaprio deserves all the praise he gets. He's delivered at least 2 performances that felt transcendent (The Wolf of Wall Street and The Aviator) and his performance in The Departed would've reached that level if he had more screen time.Of course, I don't think he is perfect the way others do. He was actually a liability in Gangs of New York when compared to DDL and Liam Neeson. And in Inception, he was solid, but not brilliant. However, he is one of the best performers alive.Edit: I don't want this discussion to just be about Leo. I just have a feeling we'll get to him eventually, so I got my opinion out of the way. 

Edited by Dark Jedi Master 007
  • Like 1

Brad Pitt. He can be very good, but he just cannot get on the same highest level other actors can. Watching him in 12 Years a Slave was just... distracting, because how much better Ejiofor or Fassbender were. He wasn't bad, but the others were on a whole different level.

And then of course - George Clooney. There's no explanation even necessary.

Brad Pitt. He can be very good, but he just cannot get on the same highest level other actors can. Watching him in 12 Years a Slave was just... distracting, because how much better Ejiofor or Fassbender were. He wasn't bad, but the others were on a whole different level.

And then of course - George Clooney. There's no explanation even necessary.

Have you seen 12 Monkeys? He was great in that. It was a while ago, though.I agree on Clooney. I'll throw in another Ocean's Eleven cast member-Matt Damon. He's delivered some good performances, but I've never been that impressed. In The Departed, he was the weakest link by far. 

Leonardo DiCaprio because of how people constantly whine how he doesn't have an Oscar even though every year there is always someone better than him

Also, while Jennifer Lawrence is great her performance in American Hustle is way overrated. How was that an Oscar nominated performance?? 

Bryan Cranston. What can he do? Overly comedic in his TV comedies like King of queens, third rock from the sun and etc. And being overly serious in TV series like Flash and BB. And just good enough in some other TV shows and movies. Just a good actor. Nothing so great about him. He is not De Niro, Oldman or DDL. 

Edited by Emirazza

Bryan Cranston. What can he do? Overly comedic in his TV comedies like King of queens, third rock from the sun and etc. And being overly serious in TV series like Flash and BB. And just good enough in some other TV shows and movies. Just a good actor. Nothing so great about him. He is not De Niro, Oldman or DDL. 

Did you even watch BB?

• Like 2