grim22

Cineplex planning to start charging extra for middle seats in a theater

I wouldn't mind paying extra for the reservation itself. Sucks having to show up earlier to get a good seat.

That would only drive the price up. We've had to wait on line during opening weekend for years and years. If you don't wanna wait, then just wait till after the weekend to see it.

• Like 1

That would only drive the price up. We've had to wait on line during opening weekend for years and years. If you don't wanna wait, then just wait till after the weekend to see it.

The thing is there is another theater near me with all-reserved seating and the prices are actually lower there than at the Regal I go to. However, the theater with reserved seating uses its largest screen only for 3D shows. The Regal I visit has a good size RPX screen that will usually have some 2D shows on it. So it's a trade-off. Rather have the bigger screen than reserved seating.

The whole thing feels very elitist. Now it's the people who can afford to pay extra get the good seats. Fuck that. First come, first serve (as it's always been)

The old days. I remember the days before you could buy tickets online and before ticket machines. Back then you couldn't buy a ticket for that day until the boxoffice opened. For popular movies you had to get there early, stand in line and then pay cash for everything.

The whole thing feels very elitist. Now it's the people who can afford to pay extra get the good seats. Fuck that. First come, first serve (as it's always been)

You mean capitalist. If people are willing to pay a premium for better seats, then it is in the theaters' best interest to explore that market.

You mean capitalist. If people are willing to pay a premium for better seats, then it is in the theaters' best interest to explore that market.

Then I'll stop going. I think it's a losing policy. Movies are still popular because they're among the cheapest form of entertainment and everybody is equal. You start creating that boundary between the haves and have-nots. People won't buy into that. Maybe that doesn't fit into the capitalist mentalist, but people will stop going. I'm the biggest supporter of the theater experience you'll find but fuck all that.
  • Like 1

Then I'll stop going. I think it's a losing policy. Movies are still popular because they're among the cheapest form of entertainment and everybody is equal. You start creating that boundary between the haves and have-nots. People won't buy into that. Maybe that doesn't fit into the capitalist mentalist, but people will stop going. I'm the biggest supporter of the theater experience you'll find but fuck all that.

It already exists. What do you think premium screens like IMAX are? They are an example of people being willing to pay extra for a better experience.

• Like 2

Cineplex already has reserved seating for UltraAVX and IMAX theaters. It's usually $5 to $10 more.  I haven't been to a movie without reserved seating in years.

For Cineplex Theaters here::

$6.75 Discount Tuesday

$9.25 Matinee (only 1 Cineplex theater has matinee pricing here)

$12.99 regular admission

$15.99 for 3D

$15.99 for UltraAVX

$17.99 for UltraAVX 3D

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Landmark Cinemas

$6.00 Discount Tuesday

$9.00 Matinee (they all have matinee pricing)

$11.00 Regular Admission

$14.00 3D

All screens have reserved seating at no additional cost.

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 1

Well a few things...

Back in the days when people went a lot more to theaters, there was this special seating, so the argument people wont go to a theater with different price seats out of political protest makes no sense. 

Also we have reserve seating here in Canada, people are not bringing out the hammer and sickle in protest lol ...

The reserve seating screens usually get filled up fast on big openers always. 

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 1

Why not make them better seats like this? 

Posted Image

It seems weird to make the seats the same but charge more just because people prefer to sit in the middle. It would be like a restaurant charging $3.00 to sit at the window. It seems like a bad business idea. 

I think the issue is that here in Canada, the Cineplex movie chain has  pretty much has said "poor people don't watch movies in theaters anymore"

So they are targeting middle class and wealthy people and families and offering a more 'luxurious' experience.

Now they may not be selling as many tickets in the past but are the generating more revenue per attendee? Likely..

However its a fine line as the trade off has to be drastic... 

The Ultra AVX reserve seating system which is 20% more then an average ticket is very popular and widely used. 

However I think they are facing an issue of lower attendance over time. They have not being that great this year however they been making money like crazy in years past. 

They have expanded VIP screens which are only 19+ and older people can be in those sittings. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

I was just looking at movie times at the New West Landmark and noticed they have something called "Morning Movies". Essentially all movies before noon are $6 ($9 for 3D movies).

I might just go there tomorrow morning to see X-Men:DOFP for $6. There's even a dollar store right below the theater for snacks. ;)

rising inequality and wealth gap leads to a point where 1 rich person can pay for a ticket which costs more than 2 cheaper tickets an average person can pay for. when enough businesses participate then this aids in making the the inequality and gap increase even faster than before. the benchmark of whether capitalism is working or not, is to see how big or small the ratio of profit to quantity of people being served is.

Edited by a2k

It is an issue, I know many poorer families here would not go anywhere near a cineplex theater as movie would cost like 50 bucks + food. 

They just buy it secondhand for 2-5$ bucks or download online and there is the nightly entertainment. 

However the local theaters are still selling filling up those reserved and vip seating whenever there is a big opener always.

Edited by Lordmandeep

I was just looking at movie times at the New West Landmark and noticed they have something called "Morning Movies". Essentially all movies before noon are $6 ($9 for 3D movies).

I might just go there tomorrow morning to see X-Men:DOFP for $6. There's even a dollar store right below the theater for snacks. ;)

:) 

Hahaha

I usually watch movies for 5$ on Tuesday and I grab a drink and chips for 2 bucks..

So my friend and I go to theater and its costs only 7 dollars a piece :) 

If you ever go to a live theater show/live event you'd know that they typically charge higher prices for the better seats.  While I would prefer that this doesn't start happening to movie theaters (since your seat doesn't affect the experience to much unless it's in the pit, plus it's really hard to check in a theater that people are seated where they are supposed to), it makes sense from a business perspective.

However, I think the buying your seats works best in a true dinner theater where it's easier to check that people are seated in the right location without actually disturbing the viewers.