kayumanggi

BIG HERO 6 | 435.3 M overseas | 657.8 M worldwide

The comparison with Frozen is unfair, we all knew from the beginning BH6 wouldn't go as far as Frozen..A comparison with WDAS movies which got a more traditional trajectory would be fairer, such as Wreck-It Ralph (Tangled got a problem with Fukushima events).

WiR 13,8M$ 1,30B yen

• Like 2

For better compared gross I remember you opening week exchange rate

USD/yen exchange rate

WIR 95 yen for a dollar

Frozen 103 yen for a dollar

BH6 120 yen for a dollar

USD/Euro exchange rate

WiR 1,31 dollars for a euro

Frozen 1,37 dollars for a euro

BH6 1,22 dollars for a euro

• Like 1

For better compared gross I remember you opening week exchange rate

USD/yen exchange rate

WIR 95 yen for a dollar

Frozen 103 yen for a dollar

BH6 120 yen for a dollar

USD/Euro exchange rate

WiR 1,31 dollars for a euro

Frozen 1,37 dollars for a euro

BH6 1,22 dollars for a euro

In Europe and Japan BH6 is clearly at a disadvantage, and it's even worse in Latin America and Russia.

In Russia BH6 would be beyond $30m without this terrible exchange rate.

Still, BH6 will pass WiR despite a disadvantageous rate.

Big Hero 6 grossed $24.7m from 51 territories to reach a relatively early $120.9m and opened in Brazil on $4.5m and Australia in second place on $3.2m. The global haul stands at $320.8m.

Russia has generated $20.2m, Japan $17.2m, Mexico $16.4m, Malaysia $6m, Italy $5.8m, Spain $5m, Philippines $4.4m, Argentina $4.1m and Singapore $3.9m.

Coming up are Germany and South Korea on January 22, the UK on January 30, France on February 11 and China on March 1.

http://www.screendaily.com/box-office/hobbit-finale-crosses-400m-intl/5081375.article?blocktitle=LATEST-INTERNATIONAL-BOX-OFFICE-NEWS&contentID=40071

• Like 4

Australia in second place on $3.2m.

That's a bit weaker than I had expected for Australia, but not too bad--Big Hero 6 could still gross $20+M there with strong legs.

Coming up are Germany and South Korea on January 22, the UK on January 30, France on February 11 and China on March 1.

There are lots of big markets bringing up the rear, which is good because the movie still has a long way to go. Looks like China is the "closer" this time--it will be largely up to this market (and France if its legs are good there) to push Big Hero 6 past any milestones it may still be approaching at that point. To be honest, I'm just hoping for some kind of drama to make this run more interesting and entertaining--opening against Interstellar in NA (and winning!) was neat and opening against Yōkai Watch in Japan (and surviving :o) was, too, but I still want more drama. ;)

Edited by Melvin Frohike
  • Like 1

That's a bit weaker than I had expected for Australia, but not too bad--Big Hero 6 could still gross $20+M there with strong legs.

I actually think that Big Hero 6's opening week in Australia is pretty decent. As a frame of reference, BH6's Australian opening weekend is 19% stronger than Wreck it Ralph's opening weekend, and only 18% behind Frozen's opening weekend.

As with Frozen and WIR, BH6 also opened on Boxing Day against the Hobbit movies. Big Hero 6's Australian opening day was $1.3 million AUD , Frozen's OD in Australia was $1.63 million AUD and WIR's OD was $1.145 million AUD . Frozen went on to gross $31+ mil USD and WIR grossed $23.9 mil USD, so I think Big Hero 6's final gross in Australia should wind up somewhere between Frozen's and WIR's. 

Edited by humanscrabble
  • Like 2

There are lots of big markets bringing up the rear, which is good because the movie still has a long way to go. Looks like China is the "closer" this time--it will be largely up to this market (and France if its legs are good there) to push Big Hero 6 past any milestones it may still be approaching at that point. To be honest, I'm just hoping for some kind of drama to make this run more interesting and entertaining--opening against Interstellar in NA (and winning!) was neat and opening against Yōkai Watch (and surviving :o) was, too, but I still want more drama. ;)

I too crave drama, something of the Frozen variety  ;)

• Like 1