kayumanggi

BIG HERO 6 | 435.3 M overseas | 657.8 M worldwide

I have faith, even if Japan could disappoint a bit because of "cough" Yokai Watch "cough"

Well, Big Hero 6 seems to be on-track in Japan regardless of the competition, with a similar audience composition to that of other WDAS movies (as well as those of Pixar and Studio Ghibli, for that matter), so it doesn't seem that Yōkai Watch has hurt it much or took away a huge number of children, despite how huge the other movie is primarily because of that market segment.

REVIEW FROM THE JAPAN TIMES

Big%2BHero%2B6%2BJapanese%2BPoster.jpg

Disney’s ‘Big Hero 6′ reassembles Japan without the ‘cultural cringe’ by Kaori Shoji

So we’ve all heard that it’s hard to be a woman in Japan, but being a Japanese geek comes with its own troubles. For some, it’s a life lived in front of glowing screens, a dateless existence spent in a six-mat tatami room with posters of idol group AKB48 plastered on the walls. But here’s Disney’s “Big Hero 6″ (released in Japan as “Baymax”), a Christmas animation extravaganza that elevates the Japanese geek to superhero status. And he’s cute, too.

This is the first Disney animation feature in which the stars have Japanese names: 14-year-old genius Hiro Hamada (voiced by Ryan Potter) and his older tech-wizard brother Tadashi (Daniel Henney). The boys’ parents died, and they are being brought up by their exuberant Aunt Cass (Maya Rudolph). Interestingly, Hiro comes off as a cross between a typical Tokyo chūbō (a slang term for junior high school kids) and a young Lionel Messi, while Tadashi fits the normal Hollywood bill of a polite young Japanese male. Despite their names, the brothers only speak English and there’s nothing in their surroundings to suggest a penchant for samurai or idols — they are, however, obsessed with robots. Aunt Cass, who runs a cafe and seems to have at least three different nationalities coursing through her veins, never serves Japanese food to her nephews, just ribs. Ribs every time.

MORE HERE : http://www.japantimes.co.jp/culture/2014/12/17/films/disneys-big-hero-6-reassembles-japan-without-cultural-cringe/#.VJaFMv8HYA

It's good to have a Japanese opinion here, and they sure like it :)

This is one aspect of what I meant earlier about the movie's relevance for the Japanese market, which is something Frozen had in abundance. In general the culture of WDAS has certain parallels with Japanese culture, interestingly enough, which is why many of the staff are fans of anime (particularly Miyazaki), and ultimately there are reasons the Japanese people generally tend to like Disney. Now, WDAS' movies don't always have subject matter that directly represents these parallels, but Frozen did and so does Big Hero 6. No, the latter is not going to be a repeat of the former at the box office (particularly since the former majorly captured the female audience, which is a big deal in Japan), but I'm still hoping that it will have better-than-usual legs for WDAS. A 10X OW multiplier would seem to be a good baseline (about $50M total with the currently rather weak yen)--now let's see whether it can do better.

It currently is pacing slightly ahead of Wreck-it Ralph in most markets, except Southeast Asia (where Baymax became a HUGE hit). If China and Japan cooperates, Big Hero 6 might go to 350-370M OS. Hopefully it goes more and breaks out in a few markets, although I wouldn't bet on it.

Isn't Big Hero 6 also outpacing Tangled in most markets? Granted, many believe that it won't do as well in Europe, but then again it looks to do a lot better in Asia. Tangled grossed $391M OS with no release in China and probably a disrupted run in Japan, so it's quite possible that Big Hero 6 could gross more than that (unless it totally flops in Europe).

• Like 2

Isn't Big Hero 6 also outpacing Tangled in most markets? Granted, many believe that it won't do as well in Europe, but then again it looks to do a lot better in Asia. Tangled grossed $391M OS with no release in China and probably a disrupted run in Japan, so it's quite possible that Big Hero 6 could gross more than that (unless it totally flops in Europe).

I believe BH6 is doing better than Tangled in South America where it still has a few, albeit smaller than Europe and Asia, markets left to open in. I agree, it should easily beat Tangleds OS. Edited by 23IsEverywhere
  • Like 1

I believe BH6 is doing better than Tangled in South America where it still has a few, albeit smaller than Europe and Asia, markets left to open in. I agree, it should easily beat Tangleds OS.

Tangled is WDAS biggest hit in Brazil. BH6 needs $25m to beat Tangled there. I think BH6 is going to double Tangled in Asia and that is what is going to give it the push it needs to do more than $600m WW

• Like 1

Tangled is WDAS biggest hit in Brazil.

That is true in US dollars, although Frozen actually grossed substantially more in the local currency, the Brazilian real (just keeping it...real ;)). The exchange rate was that bad early this year in comparison to 2011, and it's even worse now. The same goes for many markets (in general the dollar has been strengthening), counteracting the overall growth trend of the OS market to some degree.

BH6 needs $25m to beat Tangled there.

And in actuality it would have to gross 60+% more in the local currency to do it. :o

I think BH6 is going to double Tangled in Asia and that is what is going to give it the push it needs to do more than $600m WW

I sure hope so, and not flopping in the biggest European markets like Wreck-It Ralph did, pretty much, sure would help.

• Like 3

That is true in US dollars, although Frozen actually grossed substantially more in the local currency, the Brazilian real (just keeping it...real ;)). The exchange rate was that bad early this year in comparison to 2011, and it's even worse now. The same goes for many markets (in general the dollar has been strengthening), counteracting the overall growth trend of the OS market to some degree.

And in actuality it would have to gross 60+% more in the local currency to do it. :o

I sure hope so, and not flopping in the biggest European markets like Wreck-It Ralph did, pretty much, sure would help.

So Frozen won in Brazil as well, but not in dollars, that's interesting to know because I had no idea :)

+60% over Tangled in local currency seems to be a bit too exacting given the market slowed :/ But I hope it can do as much as possible.

The Brazilian currency needs to gain ground over the dollar because The Avengers 2 will suffer in $ if it doesn't happen soon enough...but given the state of the Brazilian economy (it's stagnant) it won't happen anytime soon.

Still, the movie market has a healthy growth (around 10%) so we can't complain too much, even if this market has a much better potential in terms of BO, it could easily be as big as Japan and Germany combined.

• Like 1

I was surprised that it's still playing in Indonesian theater (4 in Jakarta, luckily 1 is near my home), even though it has been playing in here for more than a month. My session was full (it's a very small studio though). Kids seemed to really like it, they laughed all the time. The adults were a bit more subdued, only laughed in 2 or 3 scenes.

• Like 3

I was surprised that it's still playing in Indonesian theater (4 in Jakarta, luckily 1 is near my home), even though it has been playing in here for more than a month. My session was full (it's a very small studio though). Kids seemed to really like it, they laughed all the time. The adults were a bit more subdued, only laughed in 2 or 3 scenes.

Yeah, I was surprised too. It's almost 2 months and it's still playing. Very rare for a movie here. For comparison, Penguins of Madagascar is in its 4-5th week and already down to only 5 theaters in Jakarta.

Yeah, I was surprised too. It's almost 2 months and it's still playing. Very rare for a movie here. For comparison, Penguins of Madagascar is in its 4-5th week and already down to only 5 theaters in Jakarta.

Indeed, it's very rare. I thought it would be gone by the time I arrived in Indonesia.

Big Hero 6 continuos its good Latin American run, opening on Top in Chile, Peru and Bolivia. And it still leads the Argentinean market!! I hope it is doing good also in Brazil. :)

Mexico will end lower than I wanted (20m) but the other markets seem quite excited about it :) Brazil will be important, let's hope they won't disappoint :)

It's great for Chile and Peru :)

Edited by Fullbuster
  • Like 1

Yeah. Isn't china a massive fan of everything clashing and fighting? They better stan for Baymax!

Japan+China+SK market share on top 20 overseas grosses all-time

# Movie                                      Tot M$  C/J/SK M$ %tot

6 Transformers: Age of Extinction           $842,00   $371,72  44,1%

5 Frozen                                    $873,50   $373,97  42,8%

10 Transformers: Dark of the Moon            $771,40   $288,33  37,4%

2 Titanic + Titanic 3D                    $1.528,10   $416,32  27,2%

7 Iron Man 3                                $806,40   $210,60  26,1%

8 Pirates of the Caribbean: OST             $804,60   $204,49  25,4%

1 Avatar                                  $2.027,50   $481,60  23,8%

18 Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone     $657,20   $152,99  23,3%

3 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows P2   $960,50   $217,15  22,6%

15 Alice in Wonderland (2010)                $691,30   $151,65  21,9%

20 Toy Story 3                               $648,20   $138,91  21,4%

19 Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End  $654,00   $139,66  21,4%

4 Marvel's The Avengers                     $895,20   $180,04  20,1%

17 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows P1   $664,30   $133,33  20,1%

11 The Lord of the Rings: RotK               $742,10   $133,89  18,0%

14 The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug       $700,00   $104,78  15,0%

9 Skyfall                                   $804,20   $107,78  13,4%

13 The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey         $714,00    $90,63  12,7%

12 Ice Age: Continental Drift                $715,90    $78,47  11,0%

16 Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs            $690,10     $6,44   0,9%

• Like 6

Estimates after 2nd week in Japan: 2,0/2,2B yen (17/18M$) 1,6/1,7M admissions (Frozen 3,04B yen - 2,44M admissions)

The comparison with Frozen is unfair, we all knew from the beginning BH6 wouldn't go as far as Frozen..A comparison with WDAS movies which got a more traditional trajectory would be fairer, such as Wreck-It Ralph (Tangled got a problem with Fukushima events).

• Like 1