kayumanggi

BIG HERO 6 | 435.3 M overseas | 657.8 M worldwide

I actually think that Big Hero 6's opening week in Australia is pretty decent.

Well, it's decent enough, but doesn't seem that big in comparison to other openings.

This seems odd because that's just about how it compares with these movies' second weekend grosses. :thinking: Did both Frozen and Wreck-It Ralph have close to 0% drops from their OWs? I don't have that data, but unless the foregoing is true, what Deadline is saying seems suspect.

I too crave drama, something of the Frozen variety  ;)

Yeah...that was something special. :D

Edited by Melvin Frohike

Well, it's decent enough, but doesn't seem that big in comparison to other openings.

This seems odd because that's just about how it compares with these movies' second weekend grosses. :thinking: Did both Frozen and Wreck-It Ralph have close to 0% drops from their OWs? I don't have that data, but unless the foregoing is true, what Deadline is saying seems suspect.

Disregarding Deadline.com's reports for the moment and extrapolating from opening day grosses which were definitely reported way before their second weekends, it is highly likely that BH6's opening weekend gross is somewhere between that of WIR's and Frozen's respective opening weekend grosses, though I could be wrong. It's a crude estimate alright, but then again, the Australian box office doesn't report weekend grosses over the Boxing Day 4-day weekend period. Of course, BH6's Australian opening weekend pales in comparison to that of Hobbit 3's. But the same thing could probably be said for WIR versus Hobbit 1, and even Frozen versus Hobbit 2 over the Boxing Day weekends. 

Also, another thing to note is that BOM reports four-day weekend grosses for the Australian market, so the second weekend grosses that you're seeing on BOM for Frozen and WIR reflect their Thursday-Sunday grosses, not Friday to Sunday grosses. BH6 opened officially this Friday, and has only been out in Australian cinemas for 3 days. Maybe Deadline.com was comparing what BH6 made over this 3 day opening weekend to WIR and Frozen's Friday-Sunday second week grosses (excluding their Thursdays)? 

Edited by humanscrabble

Disregarding Deadline.com's reports for the moment and extrapolating from opening day grosses which were definitely reported way before their second weekends, it is highly likely that BH6's opening weekend gross is somewhere between that of WIR's and Frozen's respective opening weekend grosses, though I could be wrong.

I don't know whether these days falling on a Wednesday (Wreck-It Ralph), a Thursday (Frozen), and a Friday (Big Hero 6) makes any difference, but that's encouraging, in any case.

Admittedly, I know very little about the box office in Australia, so I'm not trying to make any bold assertions here, myself. The data for this market on BOM is often incomplete and difficult to interpret with consistency, as well.

Also, another thing to note is that BOM reports four-day weekend grosses for the Australian market, so the second weekend grosses that you're seeing on BOM for Frozen and WIR reflect their Thursday-Sunday grosses, not Friday to Sunday grosses. BH6 opened officially this Friday, and has only been out in Australian cinemas for 3 days. Maybe Deadline.com was comparing what BH6 made over this 3 day opening weekend to WIR and Frozen's Friday-Sunday second week grosses (excluding their Thursdays)?

That could well be, although Deadline also said that BH6 opened on Christmas Day :huh:, which this year was on a Thursday. Given all of this uncertainty, perhaps a better--and fairer for all--comparison could be made with BH6's second weekend. As a reminder we should take into account the significant differences in exchange rate, which once again unfortunately work against BH6 (the strong US dollar of late = fewer dollars from overseas markets than before).

• Like 1

I don't know whether these days falling on a Wednesday (Wreck-It Ralph), a Thursday (Frozen), and a Friday (Big Hero 6) makes any difference, but that's encouraging, in any case.

Admittedly, I know very little about the box office in Australia, so I'm not trying to make any bold assertions here, myself. The data for this market on BOM is often incomplete and difficult to interpret with consistency, as well.

That could well be, although Deadline also said that BH6 opened on Christmas Day :huh:, which this year was on a Thursday. Given all of this uncertainty, perhaps a better--and fairer for all--comparison could be made with BH6's second weekend. As a reminder we should take into account the significant differences in exchange rate, which once again unfortunately work against BH6 (the strong US dollar of late = fewer dollars from overseas markets than before).

From figures reported in the Australian box office thread, Wreck it Ralph had a four day (Thursday to Sunday) opening weekend of $4 million AUD whereas BH6 had a three day (Friday to Sunday) opening weekend of $3.7million AUD + another $0.4 million from limited previews on Christmas Day = 4.1 million . Going strictly by these figures, BH6 is slightly outpacing WIR. However, WIR also made an additional $2.4 mil AUD from its Boxing Day Gross when it opened on Wednesday + weekend previews. So it becomes difficult to do an apples to apples comparison when WIR's Boxing Day + preview grosses are factored in because one can argue that WIR still managed to net a $4 million four-day OW despite having a more extensive set of weekend previews. 

There are also fears that Penguins of Madagascar will annihilate BH6 at the Australian box office when it opens on New Year's Day. Of course, if the American Thanksgiving situation repeats itself on New Year's Day at the Australian box office, BH6 will have little to fear  :P

Edited by humanscrabble
  • Like 2

BoxOffice ‏@BoxOffice

BIG HERO 6: $167.4M Overseas Total / $378.6M Global Total #BigHero6

1:12 AM - 5 Jan 2015 · Details

It needs

90M$ to pass Lego Movie WW

93M$ to pass WiR WW

214M$ to pass Tangled WW

240M$ to pass Dragon 2 WW

896M$ to pass Frozen WW

• Like 2

OS total as of Sunday - 167M

Crurrent OS markets- 50M

China - 35M

UK - 40M

Germany -20M

SK - 20M

France -25M

other small markets - 50M

OS projcted total 400-410M

Edited by Sorcerer Supreme
  • Like 1

Crurrent OS markets- 50M

China - 35M

UK - 40M

Germany -20M

SK - 20M

France -25M

It will fight with HTTYD 2 for the top animation movie of the year WW.

Crurrent OS markets- 50M

China - 35M

UK - 40M

Germany -20M

SK - 20M

France -25M

The contribution of those "small markets" is probably overestimated. Any significant market in that bunch aside from Scandinavia?

On the other hand, that China number would be very weak, even lower than Penguins and barely above half of Dragon 2. Or I'm missing something about its release date?

All the European small markets can't make 50M? I think 35M in China shouldn't be a big problem, it has some buzz, better than other original animated movies.

35M in China seems so easy to reach that a total around there would look quite dull. I'm expecting 50+.

About Europe, one should take all its small (European) markets left, take a look at what WiR made there and increase the sum by around 20%. Edroger? :P

• Like 1

The best I can see is similar numbers to Frozen, they have exact same release dates and competitions. one thing I'M worrying about is the pirating copies.

Are you talking about Big Hero 6's China release date? Frozen was released on Feb 5th, during the Lunar New Year period. Big Hero 6 will be released in China on March 1st.