Crunching the Numbers: Year Nine (1st Quarter Reviews)

A Midsummer Night's Dream

It's a by-the-numbers adaptation of the notable play. The sets and production values are quite nice, whereas the casting is more of a mixed bag. It's a humorous and entertaining ride, though it would have been better if the filmmakers had decided to be a bit more free and spirited in how they adapted the second half of the film.

B

A Series of Unfortunate Events: Movie the Fifth

Read my 39 Clues review, both franchises are in the same autopilot boat by now.

The Beast of Loch Ness

Starts as How to Train Your Loch Ness Monster and kinda just fizzles out with a gloomy ending that kinda goes nowhere.

C+

The Special Effects Team 2

Blah Blah/10

The Little Drummer Boy

A nice little Christmas tale of not much substance.

• Like 2

The Battle for Brazil

It's an incisive and grabbing look behind the scenes of one of more infamous stories of studio meddling with film post-production (though not nearly as infamous as what happened with Once Upon a Time in America). Ewan McGregor is rock-solid as Terry Gilliam and the film is paced quite nicely. The film is a bit on the lean side when it comes to the characters, focusing pretty much on the chronological movement of plot and the conflicts of A, B, C, etc.

B+

Suicide is Painless

Coens returning to their screwball dark humorous ways with very good success. The very end feels a bit ripped off from In Bruges with the Colin Farrell narration. I also think there should have been a final scene with Kurt and Cleo after the funeral, since whereas her narrative arc was finished, I felt there was still some loose ends with her character arc.

B+/A-

Because the Internet

I don't even know. It's a film that just couldn't hold my interest. It's a sprawling narrative of things going on with a protagonist who simply does nothing to keep the audience invested. I got to the point where he goes into a closet and finds himself in Coachella and was like "yeah this film is just slinging shit at the wall to see what painting it gets as a result."

• Like 1

Beauty and the Beast

It's Beauty and the Beast, but in live action. Some of the magic is lost in the live-action transition but it's still a pretty entertaining ride with strong casting choices.

B+

The Ice Diaries

An interesting thriller of a cold dystopia, but I think the film drifts off into being a too ambiguous and unclear in its second half, opting for style over story before a completely uncertain conclusion.

C/C+

The Once and Future King: The Ill-Made Knight

Definitely a bit too long. Sir Ken continues to bring a good visual flair, but he would have been well served by trimming out a good chunk of the middle as well as some of the duplicative third act climaxes.

B-

• Like 1

The Top 25 Contest!

I will be revealing my Top 25, sans Top 5, through a mixture of reverse alphabetical order. Meaning for example, they will be revealed like A, Z, B, Y, etc. However, at first I will only put the numerical ranking of the films, it is up to you all to guess what they may be.

For each correct guess in the reveal of the Lower 20, you get a point. The ultimate winner will get an exclusive pre-read of a Year 10 film whenever it is finished.

The First Five are:

Might be tricky as I don't know if you'll put your own films on the list as well. Eh, who cares. Let me take a shot at it *laughs maniacally*.

I do. It's the norm for most lists for all iterations of CAYOM.

Welp, two guessers it is:

5cm per second

Yzma

The Adventures of Scrooge McDuck

This is Not a Game

American Idiot

Cookie- 1.5

Rorschach- 1.5

I'll give you guys both half a point for guessing a right film in the wrong spot.

The next Five:

Now remember, since the last of the first five was at the front of the alphabet, continuing the pattern, the first film of the new five will be towards the bottom of the alphabet. The pattern runs through each set continuously.

• Like 2

8. The Thin, The Fat, and The Felon (Honestly Numbers, I thought this would've been higher on the list)

12. Battle for Brazil

7. Suicide is Painless

13. Beauty and the Beast

9. Star Wars: Age of the Republic (Not trying to copy off of Cook, it's just my intital prediction list had it really close to #9 so eh)

The Thin, The Fat, and The Felon

The Battle for Brazil

Suicide is Painless

Beauty and the Beast

Star Wars: Age of the Republic

Cookie- 6.5

Rorschach- 6.5

Rukaio- 4

Next Five: