Blackout

Monday Actuals: 22JS 3.64, Dragon 3.12, TLAM2 2.48, Malef 1.75, JB 1.47, FIOS 1.43, EoT 1.2, DOFP 0.792

Well, that was kind of the appeal. They weren't three-dimensional, well-developed characters, exhibiting weakness and complexity. They were badasses and for around two hours, you watch them kick ass in creative ways and throw out one-liners. Sure, it's not the epitome of creativity, but as pure escapism, it's awesome.

I just found it kind of boring.

Not suspenseful. Not in the least. But, I fell for the personalities of Arnie, Seagal, etc. as a kid. I've never been able to shake it. Oh, I left out Russell too. Big Trouble In Little China and Escape from New York. Damn. Like Die Hard, if they're on TV, I can't leave the room.

Except Russell in LITTLE CHINA inverts that whole concept. He thinks he's the badass unstoppable cool-as-fuck dude... but he isn't.

• Like 3

Ok I'll give it a shot. Is it really gruesome?

The word you're looking for is awesome. And yes, it is.

That said, there are one or two scenes that a pretty bloody. But it's not what I'd call a gore-fest.

The atmosphere throughout the film is just freaking brilliant.

• Like 2

I just found it kind of boring.

I guess I can see that. I guess sticking to just a few of the classics is safest.

Anyway, you guys have seriously put me in the mood for some action flicks. I'm gonna choose between LW1, LW2, Aliens and True Lies.

• Like 1

The word you're looking for is awesome. And yes, it is.

That said, there are one or two scenes that a pretty bloody. But it's not what I'd call a gore-fest.

The atmosphere throughout the film is just freaking brilliant.

I forgot to mention that it's got a killer Tangerine Dream score. Iconic.

• Like 1

I guess I can see that. I guess sticking to just a few of the classics is safest.

Anyway, you guys have seriously put me in the mood for some action flicks. I'm gonna choose between LW1, LW2, Aliens and True Lies.

I should re-watch COMMANDO, I'd probably find it amusingly fun now.

• Like 1

Near Dark and Lost Boys both kick the living shit outta just about every vamp romp made today. So lively and fun. Just great cinema. I did really like Park's Thirst though.

Thirst was a really fun movie to watch. Interesting characters and a good take on vampire ideas.

I should re-watch COMMANDO, I'd probably find it amusingly fun now.

Oh, definitely. Even by Arnie standards, it's so ridiculously over-the-top, I can never turn my head away if it's playing on TV.

Posted Image

• Like 4

What's next, maybe can they get Tarantino to remake RESERVOIR DOGS? I know! Maybe Luc Besson could reboot FIFTH ELEMENT!

Really? Tarantino wrote and directed Reservoir Dogs and Besson wrote and directed Fifth Element. Black had a supporting role in Predator, and I'm guessing he did some uncredited work on the script? But he didn't direct it. Getting Black to direct a reboot of Predator is more like getting Tim Roth to reboot Reservoir Dogs and Chris Tucker to reboot Fifth Element.
  • Like 1

Except Russell in LITTLE CHINA inverts that whole concept. He thinks he's the badass unstoppable cool-as-fuck dude... but he isn't.

True. A fascinating movie for that very reason. I neglected to mention Raimi and Jackson getting started in the 80s too. Michael Mann. Good lord, such a sweet decade for directors that later became giants. You're spot on about low budget flicks getting a pass...

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 2

Saw The Wind Rises today. It's unlike any of his films, but such a fitting final film for him. The last scene was so emotionally powerful that it forces me to not give it anything lower than an A.The man is such a visionary storyteller.

• Like 7

So there you have it movie fans. If you haven't seen some old classics, you need to watch Predator, Lethal Weapon, Commando, and Point Break right now.

If you've seen those already and need even more, you must check out Near Dark or Thirst.

• Like 1