CJohn

Weekend Estimates | TF4 - 100M (Paramount sticking to 100M for the Wknd Est)| More Numbers on Page 1

It's also incredibly overused.I'm not a fan of the laugh track as it's basically the show asking you to laugh at anything, instead of trying to make you laugh through actual jokes and gags.

No, you don't get it. The laugh track IS overused. That's the point. It's a parody of how, say, The Big Bang Theory, the laugh track is the only reason you laugh and said track laughs at everything. In real life, I'm not a fan of laugh tracks, but for the sake of a sitcom parody, it felt necessary, so I had fun with it. That's why it breaks down coughing at a point (even though it's not in the final cut hanks to a poor editor)
  • Like 2

Well, there's a long and illustrious tradition of laugh tracks, of course, since sitcoms are basically the updated television version of the old vaudeville acts that used to play theatrically. And while most are augmented, they still do film in front of audiences (for the most part), so it's not like it's completely fake. Yes, actually being part of a studio audience is also weird and not very natural, since they're encouraging you to react well, but at the same time, good feedback from the audience helps the actors.

True, but then there's the fake laugh track, which is just obnoxious.

Heck at one points cartoons had laugh tracks, so glad they got rid of them for future reruns, because I can't stand in it in live action sitcoms as it is.

• Like 1

No, you don't get it. The laugh track IS overused. That's the point. It's a parody of how, say, The Big Bang Theory, the laugh track is the only reason you laugh and said track laughs at everything.In real life, I'm not a fan of laugh tracks, but for the sake of a sitcom parody, it felt necessary, so I had fun with it. That's why it breaks down coughing at a point (even though it's not in the final cut hanks to a poor editor)

Oh, okay, fair enough, I still don't like it though.

• Like 1

I think I meet this teacher of yours and show them correct way to do a script, which involves no laugh track.

this was a shooting script for the editor as well... aka an attempt by me to become a ghost director on the project. It mostly succeeded actually
  • Like 1

I'm beginning to think you never take an experts word for it on anything.

Ive beaten the experts so called statements and taken their money... Why would  I listen to the so called naysayers when I believe in something... Listen to too much experts and not your gut often leads to failure. So I trust my gut in all things, mixed with a  fair deal of intellect as well. But relying 100% on an expert at anything, thats a big no for me.

• Like 1

Just found out that there is a LA Galaxy vs Manchester United match at the Rose Bowl on July 23rd. Wondering if I should get tickets for that one. I don't like watching friendlies normally since the teams just won't try as hard as an actual league or cup match.

I dunno, how much do you want to see Man U's B-team in action? :)

(Honestly, it sounds like fun regardless of how hard they play).

• Like 1

I dunno, how much do you want to see Man U's B-team in action? :)

(Honestly, it sounds like fun regardless of how hard they play).

Heh, I went to an MLS All Stars game vs Man United back in 2010 after the World Cup.

The two notable players was Ryan Giggs and Javier Hernandez. No Rooney though or what not.

• Like 1

True, but then there's the fake laugh track, which is just obnoxious.Heck at one points cartoons had laugh tracks, so glad they got rid of them for future reruns, because I can't stand in it in live action sitcoms as it is.

You ever watch a Nick or Disney itcom? That's what I'm mocking along with like the CHS sitcoms of today. Laugh tracks suck, but it's still a goldmine for potential meta jokes
  • Like 1

True, but then there's the fake laugh track, which is just obnoxious.

Heck at one points cartoons had laugh tracks, so glad they got rid of them for future reruns, because I can't stand in it in live action sitcoms as it is.

There's very little separating "real" laugh tracks from "fake" ones, honestly. I used to think as you did, but after having some experience working in that arena, I've come to appreciate where this form of entertainment came from and how it reached its current form.

• Like 1

this was a shooting script for the editor as well... aka an attempt by me to become a ghost director on the project. It mostly succeeded actually

Sounds neat. I've actually directed short films before.

• Like 2

There's very little separating "real" laugh tracks from "fake" ones, honestly. I used to think as you did, but after having some experience working in that arena, I've come to appreciate where this form of entertainment came from and how it reached its current form.

I guess it's no different then when your watching a comedy show or movie with friends and family.

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

You ever watch a Nick or Disney itcom? That's what I'm mocking along with like the CHS sitcoms of today. Laugh tracks suck, but it's still a goldmine for potential meta jokes

I agree. I actually mocked it once in a script I wrote.

• Like 1

Oh, okay, fair enough, I still don't like it though.

I have non sitcom scriptsChuck Norris and Liam Neeson vs. The Loch Ness MonsterInternet Girl (parody of Catfish)Grinding Nemo (trying to get a copy of my performance to upload to YouTube)Call Me Tom (aa SLP_esque dramedy about cerebral palsy)Scar's SixNone of these have laugh tracks btw
  • Like 4