#ED

Wknd "Paramount Actuals": TF4 -100.04M | RTH Favorite Radio Station - 97.5 FM [Actuals pg 11]

I think keeping things in perspective can only be considered a good thing.

I agree. I am sorry I didn't follow the box office when Brandon gray was around. he sounds awesome and his analysis sounds very geared towards looking at the whole historical picture.

• Like 1

CA:TWS over TF4?

Possible, maybe even probable. It depends on how it deals with July 4th. The way the 4th lands this year, Friday-Saturday could be brutal.

http://boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/?sortdate=2003-07-04&p=.htm

Can TF4 hit $300M Dom now? Even with the fudge job, that's a 3X multiplier.

Zero chance of that. Even with a legit $100m opening, it would have a tough time reaching $250m as AA mentioned. With the fudged opening, $250m becomes even more difficult, unless they just keep on fudging all the way to the end.

In non fudging news...

Cap 2 is the highest grossing film domestically of 2014.

DOFP is the highest grossing film WorldWide of 2014.

Posted Image

• Like 8

It doesn't go to my email, just to my notifications.

Sony and TASM: When SPIDER-MAN 3 came out, way back when, it had huge midnights (for the time). It did $10m, and was widely reported as such.

When TASM came out, it did $7.5m in sneaks/midnights, and Sony suddenly claimed this was "the same as SM3". Nobody called them on their bullshit, and some articles at BOM were even revised. But there are a couple of references in other articles around the same time), and those of us who were tracking it remember.

In my mind, it's more agregious than simply fudging a number slightly, because Sony basically tried to re-write history. That's some Orwellian Stalinist shit right there. :lol:

I would agree with you if they tried to re-write history in their favor. They basically dumped on their own success just because their current movie couldn't live up to past success.

• Like 2

It doesn't go to my email, just to my notifications.

Sony and TASM: When SPIDER-MAN 3 came out, way back when, it had huge midnights (for the time). It did $10m, and was widely reported as such.

When TASM came out, it did $7.5m in sneaks/midnights, and Sony suddenly claimed this was "the same as SM3". Nobody called them on their bullshit, and some articles at BOM were even revised. But there are a couple of references in other articles around the same time), and those of us who were tracking it remember.

In my mind, it's more agregious than simply fudging a number slightly, because Sony basically tried to re-write history. That's some Orwellian Stalinist shit right there. :lol:

Posted Image

• Like 4

Zero chance of that. Even with a legit $100m opening, it would have a tough time reaching $250m as AA mentioned. With the fudged opening, $250m becomes even more difficult, unless they just keep on fudging all the way to the end.

Well, they have Hercules and TMNT coming out that they could embezzle from.

• Like 2

I think keeping things in perspective can only be considered a good thing.

Someone needs to say it in the media. The studios use the media to report "record" grosses in an attempt to create more hype for their movies and get more people to show up in the following days/weeks. Meanwhile the truth is they rely on ticket price inflation for a lot of the numbers they're putting up. $100m with 3D, inflation, and fudging is a JOKE.

Again though, if we are keeping perspective, why not go the whole hog. Compare available entertainment options in the marketplace as well. For example, let's say "Gone with the wind" sold X tickets when there was no TV to compete against but TASM2 sold Y tickets while having its first Sunday coincide with the season premiere of Game of Thrones and the highly anticipated release of GTA3.

For example GWTW vs Avengers

Gone with the Wind is the highest grossing movie of all time. Adjusted for inflation it has made 3.3 billion dollars. Does this sound familiar? Whenever people bring up big summer movies that make a ton of cash there is always someone who throws this out there and to them I say... that's awesome, but let's put that into context. All $ from here on out has been adjusted for inflation.

Gone with the Wind was released in 1939 and its initial run lasted until 1943. It made 221 million its first year in limited release and then 285 million over its next 3 years in general release to bring its initial 4 year total to 506 million globally. Combining those 4 years it sold 60 million tickets. So over four years it sold 60 million tickets and made $506 million in the US. Let's compare that to Iron Man 3 that sold roughly 40 million tickets and made 380 million in its first four weeks in the US or The Avengers that sold 50 million and made 532 million and all of a sudden Gone with the Wind isn't looking all that impressive. So where did the rest of Gone with the Wind's gross come from? That would be the eight re-releases in 1947, 1954, 1961, 1967, 1971, 1974, 1989, and 1998 which earned the movie its additional 2.8 billion dollars.

So the next time someone throws out how much money Gone with the Wind made keep it mind it took the movie nearly 60 years to reach it’s total. Many of those years took place during a time when alternative entertainment was not as easily accessible as it is today. There was no TV for the first 10 years of the movies run, no movie rentals for the first 40 years, there certainly wasn't Netflix, video games, sports packages, computers, and whatever other endless river of entertainment options we have today.

The reason there are record grosses may be due to ticket price inflation, but then there should be record breakers every week, and that is not the case. Belittling the movies which actually do well by comparing to different times and a different entertainment environment is just being petty.

Edited by grim22
  • Like 2

Again though, if we are keeping perspective, why not go the whole hog. Compare available entertainment options in the marketplace as well. For example, let's say "Gone with the wind" sold X tickets when there was no TV to compete against but TASM2 sold Y tickets while having its first Sunday coincide with the season premiere of Game of Thrones and the highly anticipated release of GTA3.

The reason there are record grosses may be due to ticket price inflation, but then there should be record breakers every week, and that is not the case. Belittling the movies which actually do well by comparing to different times and a different entertainment environment is just being petty.

Different times? The only thing different between 2008 and 2011 was (1) 3D boost, (2) three years of ticket price inflation, and (3) a ton of LieMAX screens. Gray's analysis on DH2 was spot on. He compared it with modern blockbusters that sold a lot more tickets. Even a fucking Twilight movie beat it.

Edited by redfirebird2008
  • Like 2

No matter what external forces are in play, butts in seats are butts in seats.

• Like 4

generally 200 dom/500 worldwide is my arbitrary blockbuster cutoff.

... Interesting. that case, the coolio blockbusters of the 2010s!

Toy Story 3

Alice in Wonderland

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1

Inception

Shrek Forever After

The Twilight Saga: Eclipse

Iron Man 2

Tangled

Despicable Me

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2

Transformers: Dark of the Moon

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides

The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn, Part 1

Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol

Fast Five

The Hangover: Part II

Marvel's The Avengers

Skyfall

The Dark Knight Rises

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn, Part 2

The Amazing Spider-Man

Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted

The Hunger Games

Ted

Brave

Frozen

Iron Man 3

Despicable Me 2

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

Fast and Furious 6

Monsters University

Gravity

Man of Steel

Thor: The Dark World

World War Z

2014 so far

X-Men: Days of Future Past

Captain America: The Winter Soldier

The Amazing Spider-Man 2

Maleficent

• Like 3

It's being accurate, not petty. You need to compare dollars to dollars. Movies will always compete with the other forms of entertainment available. However, if you're going to say it made the most money of all-time, then you should adjust for inflation. Unless you just want to compare movies to current movies, which is fine, but it loses its historical context.

• Like 2

Next one will not have any reason to fudge. It will be well below 100M.

June 25th, 2018

Ravaging approximately 13,000 screens at 4,539 sites, Transformers: Revenge of the Kilowatts, the sixth installment in the decreasingly profitable Transformers franchise, debuted to $80.01 million*.

* Other outlets are reporting that Paramount is inflating the weekend figure and that the actual number is around $76 million (or lower). Paramount reported that late reports from institutional IMAX locations and theaters in the Marshall Islands (which the studio now counts in its domestic numbers) accounted for the $4 million differenceMojo's policy is to stick with the number that the studio has reported, though, and will list $80 million until Paramount issues a revision.

Edited by C00k13
  • Like 4