Water Bottle

2012-2013 Pilot Watch

NBC picks up the Ryan Murphy comedy, The New Normal and J.J Abrams/Eric Kripke project RevolutionNBC is really jumping the gun this year, also they picked up 3 new comedies so i'm now a little concerned about Community. 4 Seasons and Syndication

Edited by MovieGuyKyle17

• Community Manager

Okay first things first:A lot of shows get picked up right before upfronts. This is normal, so their not really jumping the gun outside of "Go On". I'm still not sure why they picked that one up so early.As to Community, I wouldn't be that concerned. There's always a chance of cancellation, but I think it'll come back.

Okay first things first:A lot of shows get picked up right before upfronts. This is normal, so their not really jumping the gun outside of "Go On". I'm still not sure why they picked that one up so early.As to Community, I wouldn't be that concerned. There's always a chance of cancellation, but I think it'll come back.

I know most shows are picked up before upfronts but NBC jumped first, it will be a fun 2 weeks but man if Community is not renewed I will be very sad for awhile.

• Community Manager

NBC loves to go first. Heck, they love to have a mini-upfront the day before their actual upfront. This is why it's always sadder when they fail so hard.

• Community Manager

FOX has picked up the following pilots:Untitled Mindy Kaling ProjectNed Fox is My MannyThe Goodwin GamesUntitled Rob Wright ProjectUntitled Kevin Williamson Project

• Community Manager

Can someone explain to me how this all works?

Sure. In the Winter, networks will order pilots. These are the first episodes of a series. They order a lot of pilots and cast them. During the spring, they film the pilots. During May, they pick up the pilots that they think will be hits (not necessarily good) for series. The other pilots will never see the day of light, at least not on that network.

Cool, but for example, there's only a select number of primetime shows/showings, of course it's never happened but if every show were getting good ratings, they wouldn't do this would they?I've always wondered what makes a show do well and last and what makes them just get crushed. The turnover rate is incredibly high.Also, why do they take so many breaks during winter anyway? The shows I watch (Castle, House, Mentalist, Person of Interest currently and more last time) every single one gets affected during that time. Momentum stops and I'd think knowing this happens all the time they'd try to course correct how they air episodes?More questions, what shows during the summer then? And for shows like Game of Thrones why don't they air on these channels instead of HBO?

• Community Manager

Cool, but for example, there's only a select number of primetime shows/showings, of course it's never happened but if every show were getting good ratings, they wouldn't do this would they?

They would for two reasons. First, ratings erosion in the next season-most shows tend to erode in the ratings as time moves on. Second, you can always get better ratings.

I've always wondered what makes a show do well and last and what makes them just get crushed. The turnover rate is incredibly high.

If networks knew this, then I imagine no show would get crushed.

Also, why do they take so many breaks during winter anyway?

They order on average 22 episodes per season. The season begins in September and ends in May-that's over 30 weeks. They have long breaks since they don't order more episodes. They don't order more than 24 episodes (or 25) due to the high cost of production. They do their best to ensure momentum, and they are trying some new things, but they have do reruns for this reason.

More questions, what shows during the summer then?

Networks will either air complete repeats or repeats with some original summer programming.

And for shows like Game of Thrones why don't they air on these channels instead of HBO?

Many reasons. Cable offers less audience but more creative freedom, and they can do things on HBO and cable that they can't do on broadcast TV. One of the things most people don't know is that the FCC can fine broadcasters for content, but they can't do a single thing about cable television content.