Shawn Robbins

The Great Box Office Recession? -- Discussing the Up & Down Trends of the Box Office Market

Will the Disappointing BO Extend to Summer 2013?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Disappointing BO Extend to Summer 2013?

• YES!
    • YES/NO! As some Big Budget Movies Won't be Affected!
    • NO!

I'm not too sure about March yet. 2009's first two months were bustling but March that year turned out very underwhelming.

That is why most people are waiting to see how will the March blockbusters of this year behave. Edited by CJohn

I still think we are not safe yet. The next 2 weekends look very unappealing when it comes to new movies. March doesn't look any better until the end of the month (considering the marketing campaign, people will run away from John Carter, IMO).

Movies are big in the last couple of weekends because they are appealing (and some have stars people like to join that - Mark Walhberg, Liam Neeson, Denzel Washington, Ryan Reynolds). Look at next weekend. Ghost Rider 2 will pull a Journey 2. This Means War will get killed by critics (they don't matter, I know) and doesn't have any big names with the exception of Reese Witherspoon (and I would rather see any of the movies opening in the last weekends than TMW). In the last weekend of the month we will have the typical 20-25M OW of a Tyler Perry movie and the rest of the openers will flop. And BAM, we have a slump again.

Gone will not do well. Look at Haywire. Act of Valor will surprise. That film has an audience waiting for it. Males are beginning to come back to the box office. If Ghost Rider 2 does well next weekend and males keep on turning out, Act of Valor could challenge 25M OW. Right know it should do 15M.

I don't think it's safe to say yet because March 09 looked great on paper and it was absolutely awful, started with the JoBros at the end of Feb actually. The next few weekends have potential I think This Means War could still breakout even with the Vow making a killing. Act of Valor, which looked like a tank, seems to have built itself up, and who knows if Ghost Rider does well, then surely Tyler Perry's audience will return. Gone is hopeless and Wanderlust has been dumped for awhile now, but even the latter could do above expectations after all we've seen.John Carter I still think will be a Watchmen like disappointment to some but expected for others. Also Wrath/Mirror look awful but who knows what's up with this trend, a lot of crap have done superbly recently.One thing though, they have no holding power. It seems the holds so far have been weaker across the board compared to last year. I guess if they open to more it matters less but then if their legs are terrible then we're not going to be much better off.

2012 is now just 1.7% behind 2009 (it was ahead last weekend). 2009 is the year to beat not 2010.With THG opening next week, the lead is going to be obliterated.

Great... 2009 was a very good year.. This will be too