The Panda

Should the Oscars Add a "Best Digital Performance" Category?

So animatons get their own category but blockbuster don't.

Blockbusters is not a "category". A blockbuster can be an animated movie. Frozen is a blockbuster.

If you want a Best Blockbuster category so bad, MTV movie awards/People Choice's Awards are there for that.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 3

So animatons get their own category but blockbuster don't.

I'm not a big fan of that category either. While it is nice for some other animated films to get recognition, it does lend itself to pigeonholing the ones that deserve a BP nom. And blockbusters don't need the extra publicity, anyway.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 2

I'm not a big fan of that category either. While it is nice for some other animated films to get recognition, it does lend itself to pigeonholing the films. And blockbusters don't need the extra publicity, anyway.

I just want Apes to get recognition especially Serkis and Kebble
  • Like 1

Blockbusters is not a "category". A blockbuster can be an animated movie. Frozen is a blockbuster.

If you want a Best Blockbuster category so bad, MTV movie awards/People Choice's Awards are there for that.

More like company's choice.

• Like 1

No, just no. If a blockbuster is truly great, it will be up for best picture.

No not really. And when a blockbuster does get BP it's usually not a amazing one script-wise for some reason ((Avatar)). 

• Like 1

I'm not a big fan of that category either. While it is nice for some other animated films to get recognition, it does lend itself to pigeonholing the ones that deserve a BP nom. And blockbusters don't need the extra publicity, anyway.

Toy Story 3 was nominated in Best Picture category alongside live action movies in 2010.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 2

No not really. And when a blockbuster does get BP it's usually not a amazing one script-wise for some reason ((Avatar)). 

I'm tempted to say even when it's supposed to be Indie/arthouse either, *cough* The Artist *cough*.

Blockbuster category is needless. Setting up a distinct category based on box office revenues as a criteria alongside artistic merits dilute the sake of rewarding the artistry and craft only. A good picture warranting a Best Picture nod is a good picture warranting a Best Picture nod, no matter if it made 10 dollars or 2B at the box office.

I mean Gravity could have been a total flop like Solaris. People would have then seen it as an arthouse movie. But it did so great at the box office it became a blockbuster. That doesn't change the intrinsic artistic qualities of the movie on which the Academy judge in both cases.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 1

I'm tempted to say even when it's supposed to be Indie/arthouse either, *cough* The Artist *cough*.

Blockbuster category is needless. Setting up a distinct category based on box office revenues as a criteria alongside artistic merits dilute the sake of rewarding the artistry and craft only. A good picture warranting a Best Picture nod is a good picture warranting a Best Picture nod, no matter if it made 10 dollars or 2B at the box office.

I mean Gravity could have been a total flop like Solaris. People would have then seen it as an arthouse movie. But it did so great at the box office it became a blockbuster. That doesn't change the intrinsic artistic qualities of the movie on which the Academy judge in both cases.

Yeah I'm not saying that but I'd go into it further but I'd rather not get into a subjective opinion on the Oscars when it's clear that no one agrees on them. 

There are always snubs, both with indies and blockbusters. Should we have a "Sundance" category, too?

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 2

And that means getting recognition how?

They don't need "special" recognition if they're not quite good enough to get a best picture nomination. If films that are worthy are getting snubbed, the problem lies in how AMPAS evaluates their films, not in their number of categories.

• Like 2