The Panda

Should the Oscars Add a "Best Digital Performance" Category?

Oh don't get me wrong. I have respect for a lot of voice actors like Mark Hamill, Corey Burton, Jim Cummings, Peter Cullen, Rob Paulsen, Jeff Bennett etc. who have a crazy amount of range and can do a wide variety of voices but the celebrity actors in movies? They're just using their real voice. I am pretty sure even they would acknowledge it is just an easy, fun little  gig that pays well and doesn't take much effort. 

But that's the point of an oscar for best voice actor/actress in an animated role to reward those who give a damn and invest their roles taking the craft seriously, separate the cream of the crop from those who just sleepwalk for a paycheck just like in live action movies.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 2

Oh don't get me wrong. I have respect for a lot of voice actors like Mark Hamill, Corey Burton, Jim Cummings, Peter Cullen, Rob Paulsen, Jeff Bennett etc. who have a crazy amount of range and can do a wide variety of voices but the celebrity actors in movies? They're just using their real voice. I am pretty sure even they would acknowledge it is just an easy, fun little  gig that pays well and doesn't take much effort. 

Okay using that logic when I act on stage I am using my real body and real voice, therefore I am not acting.

• Like 2

Okay using that logic when I act on stage I am using my real body and real voice, therefore I am not acting.

If you can disappear into a role on stage like voice actors do in animation, you will get the same kind of elevated respect. Daniel Day-Lewis is a highly regarded actor for that reason.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

best ensemble is also a terrible idea. works for sag because it's all about actors, but I wouldn't want actors to score oscars just for showing up in a best picture winner.

I understand that, but I think Stunt Ensemble or Stunt Choreography should be considered for inclusion.

• Like 1

Don't know if we already have a thread for that, but a discussion about proposed Oscar categories would be worth having.

I think "Best Soundtrack" should be considered to recognize films that use music from other sources well to set a mood (whether classical or pop-based).

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

Part of the reason Oscars are so prestigious is because they didn't go for category bloat (unlike music industry where everyone and their mothers has a Grammy). So I would say no, studios should work on getting mo-cap performances into existing acting categories

• Like 2

best ensemble is also a terrible idea. works for sag because it's all about actors, but I wouldn't want actors to score oscars just for showing up in a best picture winner.

I agree with Blanks, give it to the casting director, and maybe allow them to choose a couple actors to receive it.

A good ensemble is very different from multiple good performances, it implies that all of the actors worked well together on screen.  

I do think voice actors and motion capture actors need a way to get credit though, either they need to add a vocal/digital performance award, or be more open to motion capture actors getting in.

• Like 1

No, just no. If a blockbuster is truly great, it will be up for best picture.

I agree with this, there really doesn't need to be genre best pictures.

Honestly if there were I'd have it be Best Comedy, but even then no, this isn't The Globes or People's Choice Awards.

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 2