baumer

The Expendables 3 (2014)

27 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

I was pretty disappointed in this. I loved the first, liked the 2nd but here it doesn't seem like they tried to up the ante at all. The plot is nothing great (buy who cares in a movie like this) however the interactions between the characters and the humour seemed a lot more forced in this movie (with the exception of Antonio Banderas who is a scene stealer).A big complaint from me was how watered down this is compared to the first two. The over the top violence is what I watch these movies for and there wasn't a single drop of blood to be seen in this so you're essentially just watching a bunch of guns going off for 2 hours with no satisfaction. Another complaint is the inevitable final showdown between Sly and Gibson, it lasts about 20 seconds and, well I won't say anymore other than it was lame. Most of the actors weren't utilised the way they should have been. They have 2 masters of martial arts in this team up so give them more to do than just shoot at people, Jet Li didn't become popular because he looked good with a gun.Gibson and Banderas were easily the best parts of this movie, if anything Expendables 3 exists solely to prove that we still need more Mel Gibson in our lives, he's just got that natural charisma about him. Overall this was a disappointing big step down from that last 2 for me and it really felt like they but as little effort as possible into this just for a pay check.D-

Edited by jessie
  • Like 2

Aside from Mel Gibson this is complete rubbish that caters to neither the new audience they tried for with the pg-13 rating nor the old one when they decided that it doesn't need to bring absolutely anything to the table aside from incoherent scenes with various actors collecting their paychecks for glorified cameos

2/10

Harrison you were in Blade Runner dude like seriously WTF

Can't blame Bruce for not bothering with this at all

• Like 1

Surprised at how good it was.  If you come in NOT expecting deep character studies, you won't be disappointed.  

If you come in expecting hot action and great fighting, you won't be disappointed.

I was pleasantly surprised at the action sequences, Wesley Snipes, the "new" crew, and the cameos.

B+  

Yea unfortunately I saw it at a buddies house and right now im with Jessie. Very disappointed for all thr same reasons he mentions. Ill write more later.

• Like 1

we should have been it's been screenwriters on this film.When u have Dolph Jet Jason all terrific martial artists and you waste their talents by simply having them do nothing it really pisses me off. I have an ending for this film. Same thing could have been done in the last one as well. I will write more later

Plus you have all these juicy connections....Dolph and Van Damme in Universal SoldierJet and Mel in LW4in the first one stallone understood that it was not just about him. The sequels became all about him....its no coincidence that he didnt direct the last two.....he should have. there are way too mant guys that should have been given way more to do.

• Like 2

Plot - predictable. Humor - forced. Level of invulnerability - over 9000. Level of fun - well, it's not over 9000, but it's pretty damn close :D

In a third movie of a franchise that had its brightest moment when Bruce Willis said to Arnie: "You've been back enough", you can know what you can expect and this one meets exactly those expectations. It's a fun, over the top, nostalgic action movie, which is exactly what this franchise set about to be when it started, or at least when the second movie came out (which is still the best one).

The Pg-13 of it all didn't bother me at all since the director did a pretty good job with the action actually, even if the special effects weren't good at all. The performances are okay to good, with the stand outs being Banderas, Grammer and Gibson although I wish they gave Mel more to do. The biggest problem is the script, of course, which is predictable and doesn't take any risks, like KILL SOMEONE already, none of them even got injured except Crews :rolleyes: The final showdown was just a worse version of the fight with Van Damme which was kinda annoying too. Though, the sequence with the new guys was the best one which really surprised me.

But yeah, had fun with it, even with all its flaws. It's worse than the second but better than the first.

7/10

• Like 1

Confusing, this different reactions ;)

Perhaps this is a movie for the big screen.

When I saw the Expendables on DVD, I would have rated the film 6/10, but as a theater-film with all the laughing and as an event, I would rate it 10/10. And it was almost the same with the second one.

Dear Sly,

You are a terrific writer. You have made and written some of the best screenplays of my youth and of my adult life. You wrote Rocky, did the screenplays for First Blood, Rambo, Cliffhanger, The Expendables and Homefront. All fantastic films.

When you made The Expendables, you thought to bring some of the best action guys around, and put them in one film. You called on your friends and because of this you were able to get Dolph, Mickey, Eric and of course Bruce and Arnold. But more than that, you had an ideal. You let each actor do his thing. Jet and Dolph had terrific battle and then you had Jet and Jason fight it out in an epic battle against Gary Daniels. Then you had Randy fight it out with Austin, after you had an epic battle with him. Then, in perhaps one of the most unselfish moves in the film, you got Terry to toss the bomb when you couldn't. The whole point to this is you let everyone shine. The first film was bad ass because of this.

The second film got away from this. You still let Statham do his thing but your battle with Van Damme was poorly executed. And in my opinion, the last battle should not have been with you and him, it should have been with Dolph and Van Damme, for obvious reasons ( I know you know this but to spell it out for you...they were in Universal Soldier together and both are world class martial artists).

Then comes the third. You get a dream cast. All your friends are in it and you even manage to get Harrison Ford and Mel Gibson. It's never been done before and it certainly got me interested in the film. But once again, you messed it up. You forgot what made the first so special. It wasn't because all these guys could fire guns, it was because they could kick some serious ass. Dolph and Jet are world class martial artists,Statham and Gibson have played ones in films. You have MMA guys and of course Snipes who is also a real life ass kicker. Then you get Banderas to come in, talk the whole film about how good a killer he is, and then what do you do with all these guys? NOTHING. They just come along for the ride, shoot a few guns and then you fight Gibson for about 15 seconds. WTF!  The story line with the young kids was interesting but again, you did nothing with it.  Why not let Roussey show her stuff?  Why not let Lutz fight someone?  And how about killing a few people?  You did none of this, you just had a bunch of actors fire guns.  

You have so many story lines here. You even set it up by saying that you were all getting too old for this stuff. But you just let it go. You should have done what you did in the first. Here is how the end of the third film should have went.

The bomb is defused. You find Stonebanks. You guys start to fight. But just like Grammer told you, you can't win this thing. Stonebanks is too good. As you are hiolding your own, but clearly losing, out of the smoke, in a slow motion shot, comes Jet Li, who as we all know was in Lethal Weapon 4 with Mel. The two of you stop fighting. Mel looks at Jet, makes some kind of comment about how short he is. Jet stops, takes his jacket and weapons off. He squares off to fight Gibson and the two of them put on on a martial arts display while you stand aside. Jet eventually destroys him, because, you know, he's a true life bad ass. With Gibson dead, Jet picks you up and helps you to the chopper. As he does, he tells you that now you should pay him more money. The two of you laugh and then you live happily ever after.

The Expendables was never all about you. It was about a team. But with the sequels, you took the focus away from the team and made it all about you. Shame on you, Sly. You let me down, big time.

And you let your fans down.

• Like 5

Dear Sly,

You are a terrific writer. You have made and written some of the best screenplays of my youth and of my adult life. You wrote Rocky, did the screenplays for First Blood, Rambo, Cliffhanger, The Expendables and Homefront. All fantastic films.

When you made The Expendables, you thought to bring some of the best action guys around, and put them in one film. You called on your friends and because of this you were able to get Dolph, Mickey, Eric and of course Bruce and Arnold. But more than that, you had an ideal. You let each actor do his thing. Jet and Dolph had terrific battle and then you had Jet and Jason fight it out in an epic battle against Gary Daniels. Then you had Randy fight it out with Austin, after you had an epic battle with him. Then, in perhaps one of the most unselfish moves in the film, you got Terry to toss the bomb when you couldn't. The whole point to this is you let everyone shine. The first film was bad ass because of this.

The second film got away from this. You still let Statham do his thing but your battle with Van Damme was poorly executed. And in my opinion, the last battle should not have been with you and him, it should have been with Dolph and Van Damme, for obvious reasons ( I know you know this but to spell it out for you...they were in Universal Soldier together and both are world class martial artists).

Then comes the third. You get a dream cast. All your friends are in it and you even manage to get Harrison Ford and Mel Gibson. It's never been done before and it certainly got me interested in the film. But once again, you messed it up. You forgot what made the first so special. It wasn't because all these guys could fire guns, it was because they could kick some serious ass. Dolph and Jet are world class martial artists,Statham and Gibson have played ones in films. You have MMA guys and of course Snipes who is also a real life ass kicker. Then you get Banderas to come in, talk the whole film about how good a killer he is, and then what do you do with all these guys? NOTHING. They just come along for the ride, shoot a few guns and then you fight Gibson for about 15 seconds. WTF!  The story line with the young kids was interesting but again, you did nothing with it.  Why not let Roussey show her stuff?  Why not let Lutz fight someone?  And how about killing a few people?  You did none of this, you just had a bunch of actors fire guns.  

You have so many story lines here. You even set it up by saying that you were all getting too old for this stuff. But you just let it go. You should have done what you did in the first. Here is how the end of the third film should have went.

The bomb is defused. You find Stonebanks. You guys start to fight. But just like Grammer told you, you can't win this thing. Stonebanks is too good. As you are hiolding your own, but clearly losing, out of the smoke, in a slow motion shot, comes Jet Li, who as we all know was in Lethal Weapon 4 with Mel. The two of you stop fighting. Mel looks at Jet, makes some kind of comment about how short he is. Jet stops, takes his jacket and weapons off. He squares off to fight Gibson and the two of them put on on a martial arts display while you stand aside. Jet eventually destroys him, because, you know, he's a true life bad ass. With Gibson dead, Jet picks you up and helps you to the chopper. As he does, he tells you that now you should pay him more money. The two of you laugh and then you live happily ever after.

The Expendables was never all about you. It was about a team. But with the sequels, you took the focus away from the team and made it all about you. Shame on you, Sly. You let me down, big time.

And you let your fans down.

Emo as fuck.

IMO.

B)

• Like 3