The Panda

The Panda's 100 Most Important Blockbusters (From 1975 to Now)

Films that could rank #3: Titanic-Showed that a female audience could contribute to the Box Office as strongly as a male audience.

Harry Potter 1-Opened the door for YA films. 

The Matrix-Created the influx of blockbusters that challenge reality.

Spider-Man-While, it's not the first ever comic book film to be a big hit, it signaled this current age of Comic Book Films. 

Avatar-Biggest Film of All-Time/Helped 3D grow. 

What about TDK it should be pretty high for popularizing the darker, grittier, style blockbuster. 

• Like 1

Rambo: First Blood Part 2

This movie is the high point of the Rambo franchise box office wise and played a tremendous influence on the action genre (well at least Rambo did, not really this movie particular) with its leading man Sylvester Stallone in one of his most iconic roles to the general audience. This movie is another that really might not be the greatest of films, but it sold and represents the franchise as one of its decades most definitive series of blockbusters.

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 4

I think you aren't giving enough credit where it's due.  An R rated film in the summer of 85 makes 300 million WW.  That was one of the highest grossing R rated films at the time.  

• Like 3

[*]The Dark Knight Rises - A

[*]Hancock - D

[*]Shrek - A+ 

[*]Platoon - B 

[*]Man of Steel - B+ 

[*]Beauty and the Beast - A+ 

[*]Total Recall - A-

[*]Ratatouille - B+ 

[*]Alice in Wonderland - C+

Seen 9 of those listed so far... of the other 5 (in terms of anticipation or desire to watch) 

[*]Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan - as a nerd, but not a Trekkie, I definitely want to see it since it's still considered one of the best sci-fi films of all time. 9/10 

[*]300 - it looked cool when I was 11 years old, but I wasn't allowed to see it. Just have been too lazy to get around to watching it. Maybe I'll buy it at Walmart or Target since I keep seeing it priced at $5. 7/10

[*]Rambo: First Blood Part II: not really big on 80s action movies (or really non-genre based action movies in general) but I love the 80s as a whole. Even the bad movies from that era are fun to watch. 5.5/10

[*]Armageddon - not fond of Michael Bay at all. Transformers 1 and Pain & Gain are the only enjoyable ones of his I've ever seen (The Rock is one I got to see because of Nicolas Cage and Sean Connery, though)  0/10

[*]Twilight - never plan to see any of these ever.. negative infinity/infinity 

Overall, a solid list so far! 

What about TDK it should be pretty high for popularizing the darker, grittier, style blockbuster. 

You guys are forgetting Batman and Robin!! It set the trend for ruining/sabotaging superhero franchises (Amazing Spider-Man 2, Spider-Man 3, X3, Fantastic Four 1 & 2, Daredevil, Ghost Rider 1 & 2, Elektra, Green Lantern)  :D

• Like 3

[*]The Dark Knight Rises - A

[*]Hancock - D

[*]Shrek - A+ 

[*]Platoon - B 

[*]Man of Steel - B+ 

[*]Beauty and the Beast - A+ 

[*]Total Recall - A-

[*]Ratatouille - B+ 

[*]Alice in Wonderland - C+

Seen 9 of those listed so far... of the other 5 (in terms of anticipation or desire to watch) 

[*]Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan - as a nerd, but not a Trekkie, I definitely want to see it since it's still considered one of the best sci-fi films of all time. 9/10 

[*]300 - it looked cool when I was 11 years old, but I wasn't allowed to see it. Just have been too lazy to get around to watching it. Maybe I'll buy it at Walmart or Target since I keep seeing it priced at $5. 7/10

[*]Rambo: First Blood Part II: not really big on 80s action movies (or really non-genre based action movies in general) but I love the 80s as a whole. Even the bad movies from that era are fun to watch. 5.5/10

[*]Armageddon - not fond of Michael Bay at all. Transformers 1 and Pain & Gain are the only enjoyable ones of his I've ever seen (The Rock is one I got to see because of Nicolas Cage and Sean Connery, though)  0/10

[*]Twilight - never plan to see any of these ever.. negative infinity/infinity 

Overall, a solid list so far! 

You gave Armageddon a 0/10?

Seriously?

You guys are forgetting Batman and Robin!! It set the trend for ruining/sabotaging superhero franchises (Amazing Spider-Man 2, Spider-Man 3, X3, Fantastic Four 1 & 2, Daredevil, Ghost Rider 1 & 2, Elektra, Green Lantern)  :D

You bring up a very good point.
  • Like 1

You gave Armageddon a 0/10?

Seriously?

In terms of interest in seeing it. Based on how bad the Transformers sequels were, I don't particularly desire to see Armageddon, Pearl Harbor, Bad Boys II or The Island since they all seem not particularly different in terms of quality. 

Not saying it's terrible, but I just don't want to see it. If someone asked me to watch it with them, I'd probably say yes but I wouldn't openly seek out the movie.

I ranked it above Twilight!  :lol:

Sadly it decreased so much it doesn't even adjust to 200m so I cannot count it as a blockbuster

Mrs Doubtfire

A blockbuster comedy of massive proportions, it adjusts up to 412m and played out an incredible run.  The movie is Chris Columbus' second biggest hit and played a large influence into many future comedic blockbusters that would follow it, as well as the random Mrs Doubtfire 2 that got announced recently (a testament for its staying power in culture).  The movie is the height of Robin Williams' star power, which says something given that 18 of his movies adjust to over 100m which shows the amount of pull he had in the day.

• Like 6

Probably the most iconic role of Robin Williams' career. 

The Genie from Aladdin is probably a little higher. Definitely his most iconic live-action role (with Mork from Mork & Mindy being the runner-up) 

Chris Columbus was a GIANT in Hollywood for about 20 years.  Yet no one really knows who he is.  

Great inclusion there Panda.

The Goonies (story/screenplay) 

Adventures in Babysitting

Home Alone 1 & 2

Mrs. Doubtfire

Harry Potter 1 & 2

Haven't seen Nine Months, Rent or Percy Jackson 1. Thought I Love You, Beth Cooper was dumb. 

Definitely one of the most underrated directors of all time. He's the only reason I have high hopes for Pixels 

• Like 3

Dances With Wolves

The movie pulled off a remarkably well run (Well thanks to all of its awards notice as well as word of mouth) and adjusts as Kevin Costner's biggest hit (and unadjusted its the second biggest movie, yet still the biggest out of those he starred in).  It's a bit of a shame that his career took a nosedive after the release of Waterworld.  This movie however has had a very large cultural influence, inspiring future blockbusters such as Pocahantas and even Avatar with its inspiring plotline.

• Like 9

oh, we're gonna rate them?

99. ratatouille 7/10

96. armageddon 4/10

92. twilight 4/10

91. shrek 5/10

89. dark knight rises 5/10

88. 300 0/10

86. mrs doubtfire 3/10

Edited by lisa

Spider-Man 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvRCBzwV88g

Maybe it's a bit questionable that Spider-Man 2 is this low on the list, but the more I thought about it the more I realized it really should go around here.  Spider-Man 2 is the sequel to the comic book movie that really started the new superhero craze that is now at its peak, and it was a tremendous success at the box office.  It was seen by many as an improvement on its predecessor as well as the last good Spider-Man film by a lot.  It set a new standard for comic book sequels in the future and proved their franchisability.

• Like 8