baumer

Monday Numbers (holiday drops are here)

That's great for New Year's Eve. I think it's going to manage to save some face over the next 2 weeks and reach about $45m.

Of course it should made half of that on opening weekend. but hey ho.

I still say it should be able to make at least $50M in the long run and probably nearly that much by the end of the holidays (through Monday, January 2). Comparing it to The Holiday (without adjusting for inflation), NYE had a slightly better opening ($13.0M vs. $12.8) and has already fallen slightly behind (gross through 11 days $25.8 vs $26.2), but really it's keeping pace pretty well considering that The Holiday was actually a pretty nice movie and how poor the reviews for NYE were. Indeed, I think NYE might be able to catch up with The Holiday again during the week, since it looks like it may be a stronger weekday movie than The Holiday, if slightly weaker on the weekends -- its Monday number was higher, despite a Sunday number 15.6% lower.

Anyway, through January 1 (the equivalent Monday to January 2 for NYE both in terms of days in release and the last real day of the holidays -- most people will have January 2 off in 2012 since New Year's Day falls on a Sunday), The Holiday had made $52M. So unless NYE starts to fall behind much faster than it has so far (We Bought a Zoo looks like the most direct competition among the openers and isn't expected to do huge numbers, but NYE is facing alot more new openers than The Holiday did, which might cost it theaters if nothing else), a number in the upper 40s at least seems likely to be in the cards for NYE by that point, possibly more if it gets any kind of bump from its titular holiday. It probably won't be able to match The Holiday's hold much beyond that point, but, then, it shouldn't need to to hit $50M -- The Holiday made over $10M after January 1, if NYE is really in the upper 40s by January 2, then it will need less than half as much as The Holiday got from that point on to reach $50M.