6 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Simply a damn cool film.

Whereas the similarly-themed Enemy is more interested in the cerebral aspect and corresponding emotions of seeing one's identical self, here we have a different vision.  I have this feeling it would be quite easy to watch The Double and claim the film is nothing more than an exercise of style over substance.  While that may seem a somewhat fitting categorization on first glance, I will have to disagree here.

I've always been a fan of well-placed atmosphere in a film.  I find well-placed atmosphere to be more than just a conveyor of mood and tone, but rather atmosphere that is used to development the characters in context of the film.  There is nothing quite like atmosphere that is used in such a way that the atmosphere in effect brings forth the substance in the film.  Thankfully for the viewer, such is the case here.

At first glance there is not much going on with Simon.  Not only literally, but also in terms of what the film wants to show you.  However, the film understands here that it is the atmosphere that is driving the development of Simon.  The atmosphere on display here is the perfect conveyor of Simon's inner psyche.  As a viewer we are introduced to a brown and gray word in which any and all associated feel very lifeless.  The atmosphere and mood here establish the isolation and loneliness that so clearly consumes Simon.  

The establishment of the atmosphere serves as the jumping board for James to come into the picture (in my opinion, of course).  It is from the established mood and tone that allows James to enter the picture.  This is simply a damn cool aspect of the film here.  Perhaps more interesting is the fact the atmosphere does not change, even with the emergence of James.  As a result one has to infer that the film is still all about the inner anguish of Simon even with Jame's appearance.

One has to make mention of Eisenberg here as well.  While it's not particulary challenging to play such extremes as what is on display here, it is nonetheless essential for this film to work.  Eisenberg does a good job in making James/Simon seem very different.  

Simply put..........a damn cool combination of acting and atmosphere.