This is Where I Leave You (2014)

11 members have voted

1. 1. Grade It:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

One of the best of the year.  Each adult was dealing with their own personal dilemma and there are no easy answers in real life and subsequently, there were no real easy answers here.  Bateman made me empathize with him every step of the way and even though a couple story lines didn't flesh out, enough of them did to make this one of the best films I've seen this year.

9/10

• Like 4

Saw this just a bit ago and I liked it. The acting was good from everyone and I enjoyed the story of each member of the family and how they all had different issues they were going through. It even made me emotional in parts. I would give it a....B(87)

Edited by Empire
  • Like 1

Just looking at the cast of this film and the subject matter and this looks like it could of been a great film. Sadly the movie decides that it needs about ten different plot lines that each could of been their own movie. Jason Bateman, Tina Fey, Jane Fonda, Corey Stoll, and Adam Driver have great chemistry together and truly act like that dysfunctional family. The main problem with this film is that again, there's so much going on that the film gets a tiring towards the end. Not to mention the out of left field twist that did get a good reaction out of me. If this film cut about 2 of the story lines and cut the running time down a good 15 minutes, it would of been fine.

This Is Where I Leave You is still a good watch, has some very effective funny and sad scenes throughout the entire film that never leaves you board but its not a film I would rush out to see.

Grade: B

Edited by Scott Pilgrim vs The Forum

Well, there is an interesting conundrum for this movie.

The main reason I wanted to see this movie besides the cast was because my biggest Oscar contender in CAYOM basically had this plotline. One main critique that film got was that it played the concept (have to stay in the same house after the death of a loved one) way too straight and dramatically. And that's what my issue was with this really.

Any comedy scene I thought was great. The three brothers smoking pot probably will be up there with one of the funniest scenes of the year to me. The problem was I just wasn't sold on the dramatic scenes. Both Bateman and Fey aren't that great dramatic actors and it shows. And it's a shame this movie tried so hard to be dramatic when a simple dark comedy would've been fantastic with this cast. Or if the movie wanted to be dramatic, Levy should've focused on it making more of an ensemble movie rather than just Bateman's show. As it is, I felt bad for Bateman having so much work to do.

Positives though: If Corey Stoll ever needs work, comedy is surprisingly his thing. Adam Driver too, but he'll be busy with Star Wars. They were both surprises to me in how much I laughed at them. Fonda is great in her role, and Bateman and Fey are still charismatic. I felt even kinda like Bateman may have just took the role to make out with Rose Byrne, and I can't blame him for that. Byrne was lovely too.

Such a great cast that try hard to but ultimately fail to save this movie from more than being just okay in my eyes. B-

• Like 2

This was a huge surprise. Just watched it at home with a couple of people and it was amazing. It wasn't a comedy but I don't think it was supposed to be. You know the actors did a great job when after the movie you think about your life and how you can relate to the events in the film. One of the best movies this year.

A+

• Like 1