CJohn

Superman | July 11, 2025 | James Gunn writing and directing | David Corenswet is Clark, Rachel Brosnahan is Lois

4 hours ago, 21C said:

Borys was the first one to break the news DC was rebooting though. He also received the exclusive of Gunn being the head of DC. He seems very well connected to this current WBD/DC Studios administration.

Borys Kit is not only extremely well connected, but knows his superhero stuff and has an insane track record with both Marvel and DC scoops. I might actually side with him if there is a divergence between the two scoops. 

He was also the one breaking this:

If he is saying that Hoult is actually angling for Lex, it makes a lot of sense to me. Younger than I was expecting for Luthor, but at same time I didn’t want Bradley Cooper to play Lex either so… intriguing. The Superman / Lois / Lex bizarre love triangle aspect was never actually explored in live action like it did on several iterations of the characters in the comics, here is hoping that Gunn is being inspired not only by Morrison, but John Byrne’s, Mark Waid’s and Dan Jurgens Supes as well.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, ZattMurdock said:

Borys Kit is not only extremely well connected, but knows his superhero stuff and has an insane track record with both Marvel and DC scoops. I might actually side with him if there is a divergence between the two scoops. 

He was also the one breaking this:

If he is saying that Hoult is actually angling for Lex, it makes a lot of sense to me. Younger than I was expecting for Luthor, but at same time I didn’t want Bradley Cooper to play Lex either so… intriguing. The Superman / Lois / Lex bizarre love triangle aspect was never actually explored in live action like it did on several iterations of the characters in the comics, here is hoping that Gunn is being inspired not only by Morrison, but John Byrne’s, Mark Waid’s and Dan Jurgens Supes as well.

I have to wonder if the "Lex Luthor for President" angle will be brought in....I admit today'sheadlines sort of put that idea in my head.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dudalb said:

I have to wonder if the "Lex Luthor for President" angle will be brought in....I admit today'sheadlines sort of put that idea in my head.

Luthor for President and Fisk for NYC mayor are plot points I hope and bet both DC and Marvel Studios are exploring in the future. Haunting and scary how those elements feel like imitated fiction, since they happened before the clusterflark that became our world.

3 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Luthor for President and Fisk for NYC mayor are plot points I hope and bet both DC and Marvel Studios are exploring in the future. Haunting and scary how those elements feel like imitated fiction, since they happened before the clusterflark that became our world.

I could do witout the Fisk for Mayor idea, that never worked for me, Fisk was too obvious a crime boss for that to be beleivable.

But Lex had  managed to fool the world into thinking he was a respectable businessman. Much more beleivable.

Just now, dudalb said:

I could do witout the Fisk for Mayor idea, that never worked for me, Fisk was too obvious a crime boss for that to be beleivable.

But Lex had  managed to fool the world into thinking he was a respectable businessman. Much more beleivable.

Have you read Chip Zdarsky’s and Marco Checchetto’s Daredevil? It’s one of the best character studies I’ve ever read on Daredevil, Elektra and Kingpin, with Mayor Fisk being a major plot point. It’s one of my favorite comic book runs of the 21st century.

6 hours ago, excel1 said:

...isnt this kinda the same mistake we made in BvS...?

I feel like this could be better executed. Especially if Lex is aligning himself with The Authority, it could be an exploration of corporate backed superheroes/militia like The Boys's The Seven versus a morally uncompromising Superman.

You can go to places with The Authority that you never could with Batman whom WB would never allow to portray in too terrible a light. Which is why I hate Batman vs Superman stories because either they play out as rich dude trying to take down Supes fanboy fantasy like in The Dark Knight Returns or Bruce just comes across as a total insecure asshole like in BvS.

• Like 2

On 6/9/2023 at 2:34 PM, ZattMurdock said:

Have you read Chip Zdarsky’s and Marco Checchetto’s Daredevil? It’s one of the best character studies I’ve ever read on Daredevil, Elektra and Kingpin, with Mayor Fisk being a major plot point. It’s one of my favorite comic book runs of the 21st century.

Yes, and was not that impressed by it. Can't hold a candle to the Frank Miller run.

Never bouth the Fisk fo rMayor angle.too obviious a swipe from the Luthor for President routine. The Kingpin is a good villian, but he ibetter asn out and out moblord.

49 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Yes, and was not that impressed by it. Can't hold a candle to the Frank Miller run.

Never bouth the Fisk fo rMayor angle.too obviious a swipe from the Luthor for President routine. The Kingpin is a good villian, but he ibetter asn out and out moblord.

I absolutely love it lol. It might be my favorite Daredevil run of all time.

• Like 1

That he seems to have such a deep understanding of who Clark is and understands that the importance of Superman goes beyond the trunks is definitely encouraging, and while he doesn’t flat out denies it let me say it:

Fuck the trunks. They are dumb. There is a reason not a single superhero character in the comics use them save Superman himself. He doesn’t need the trunks, and that’s the one backlash from the Zack Snyder’s take that I’m still mad over it happened. In order to deny what Superman became at the movies, DC Comics went too hard on the opposite direction. No I don’t need Superman and Clark to be married, neither I need to see the adventures of Pa Clark Kent despite me loving Jon Kent in concept. It ages and dates the characters, we need some love and care with the DC Comics aspect of things because other than Tom Taylor’s Nightwing and some cool creative teams here and there, it’s a disjointed mess right now. It’s time for another Crisis / soft reboot over there imho.

2 hours ago, ZattMurdock said:

I can see that James Gunn knows his Superman’s mythology.

Also he has excellent taste. Yeah Superman and DC are in good hands.

So nice to see him being written by someone who has read something other than Frank Miller.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, JWR said:

So nice to see him being written by someone who has read something other than Frank Miller.

Blaze is such an underrated Superman and DC villain. This comic saga terrified the shit out of me as a kid, since Supes is vulnerable to magic:

Superman_v.2_47.jpg

Action_Comics_Vol_1_656.jpg

57 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Man of Steel directly quotes All Star Superman. Just saying. 

Watchmen directly quotes Watchmen. And it was what it was. It’s not about simply "quoting it" or translating comic book panels to live action. It never was, it’s missing the whole point. Several of the best films of the superhero genre can never quote one single line from a comic and still capture the spirit of what the comic book creators were going for to perfection.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ZattMurdock said:

Watchmen directly quotes Watchmen. And it was what it was. It’s not about simply "quoting it" or translating comic book panels to live action. It never was, it’s missing the whole point. Several of the best films of the superhero genre can never quote one single line from a comic and still capture the spirit of what the comic book creators were going for to perfection.

Watchmen is a pretty faithful adaptation, so I’m not sure what your argument is. All I was saying was that they clearly read things besides Frank Miller.