The Stingray

BOF's Top 25 Sci-Fi Films of the 21st Century | COUNTDOWN

I wish we could have used 2014 movies as well.  I feel like Interstellar and Edge of Tomorrow would have made the list.  Maybe Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, but I haven't seen that yet.

Yes.  Edge of Tomorrow and DotPotA would have been in my top ten. I LOVED both of those. Not sure about Interstellar. I liked it but not one of my favorites of the last 13 years. But then again I would put there just for the fact they depicted a generation ship like imagined in "Rendezvous with Rama" and "The Expanse Series". I was actually shocked when I saw it. Awesome sci-fi reference.

Yes.  Edge of Tomorrow and DotPotA would have been in my top ten. I LOVED both of those. Not sure about Interstellar. I liked it but not one of my favorites of the last 13 years. But then again I would put there just for the fact they depicted a generation ship like imagined in "Rendezvous with Rama" and "The Expanse Series". I was actually shocked when I saw it. Awesome sci-fi reference.

More like an O'Neill space station but yes... still awesome. Too bad about the

teamamericadamon.jpg

• Like 1

#10:

MINORITY REPORT (2002) - 202 points

"There hasn't been a murder in 6 years. There's nothing wrong with the system, it is perfect."

image.jpg

Director: Steven Spielberg

Premise: In a future where a special police unit is able to arrest murderers before they commit their crimes, an officer from that unit is himself accused of a future murder.

The film's central theme is the question of free will versus determinism.

2SXIv0l.jpg

BOF user review: A really smart, thought provoking thriller with some great visuals and effective performances. I miss Spielberg's big summer blockbusters. - Spaghetti

Trivia: The adaptation of short story "The Minority Report" by Philip K. Dick was originally planned as a sequel to Total Recall (1990).
Edited by The Stingray
  • Like 16

#9:

STAR TREK (2009) - 209 points

"Your father was captain of a Starship for 12 minutes. He saved 800 lives, including your mother's and yours. I dare you to do better."

image.jpg

Director: J.J. Abrams

Premise: The brash James T. Kirk tries to live up to his father's legacy with Mr. Spock keeping him in check as a vengeful, time-traveling Romulan creates black holes to destroy the Federation one planet at a time.

The story takes place in an alternate reality due to time travel by both Nero and the original Spock (Leonard Nimoy). The alternate timeline was created in an effort to free the film and the franchise from established continuity constraints while simultaneously preserving original story elements.

mYhD96a.jpg

Trivia: Steven Spielberg convinced J.J. Abrams to direct the film, and provided advice on some of the action sequences.
  • Like 11

#8:

THE PRESTIGE (2006) - 224 points

"You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled."

image.jpg

Director: Christopher Nolan

Premise: The rivalry between two magicians becomes more exacerbated by their attempt to perform the ultimate illusion.

bh9TmCD.jpg

BOF user review: It's a film that gets better on repeat viewings. The first time I saw it, I had some issues with pacing and structure. The second time, you could see what Nolan was setting up (very carefully). It's also unusual (for a big studio film) to have 2 leads that are essentially unlikeable characters. - Tele

Trivia: Sam Mendes had shown interest in adapting Christopher Priest's novel for the big-screen, but Priest insisted that Christopher Nolan direct the film, based on his love for both Following (1998) and Memento (2000).
  • Like 12

#7:

MOON (2009) - 228 points

"Gerty, we're not programmed. We're people, do you understand?"

moon-e1344820915963.jpg

Director: Duncan Jones

Premise: Astronaut Sam Bell has a quintessentially personal encounter toward the end of his three-year stint on the Moon, where he, working alongside his computer, GERTY, sends back to Earth parcels of a resource that has helped diminish our planet's power problems.

OiDnRP9.jpg

BOF user review: For a movie that cost about $3.85, the production values are outstanding.  Rockwell is also outstanding.  In fact, the film is quite outstanding as well. - baumer

Trivia: Kevin Spacey read the script and agreed to voice Gerty but only when the film was finished and only if he liked it. Having loved it, he recorded his lines in half a day.
  • Like 17

#6:

HER (2013) - 269 points

"Sometimes I think I have felt everything I'm ever gonna feel. And from here on out, I'm not gonna feel anything new. Just lesser versions of what I've already felt."

image.jpg

Director: Spike Jonze

Premise: A lonely writer develops an unlikely relationship with his newly purchased operating system that's designed to meet his every need.

CZXEhqS.jpg

BOF user review: I was completely floored by this. Theodore's relationship with Samantha is meaningful and real, as both Phoenix and Johansson hit it out of the park in their performances, especially with Johansson having the harder material to pull of.  It's not only a smart exploration of our modern obsession with technology, something which is a catalyst for isolation, joy, and interestingly enough, closer connections, in this film, but it truly acts as a powerful study of love, life, and happiness. The characters in this film find such in unique, bizarre, and perhaps off-putting manners, but Jonze makes everything seem so real and honest, simultaneously breaking and warming our hearts.

A beautiful exploration of the world we live in, and possibly my favorite movie of the year. - Spaghetti

Trivia: Samantha Morton was originally the voice of Samantha. She was present on the set with Joaquin Phoenix every day. After the filming wrapped and Spike Jonze started editing the movie, he felt like something was not right. With Morton's blessing, he decided to recast the role and Scarlett Johansson was brought and replaced Morton, re-recording all the dialogue.
  • Like 17

#7:

MOON (2009) - 228 points

"Gerty, we're not programmed. We're people, do you understand?"

moon-e1344820915963.jpg

Director: Duncan Jones

Premise: Astronaut Sam Bell has a quintessentially personal encounter toward the end of his three-year stint on the Moon, where he, working alongside his computer, GERTY, sends back to Earth parcels of a resource that has helped diminish our planet's power problems.

OiDnRP9.jpg

BOF user review: For a movie that cost about $3.85, the production values are outstanding.  Rockwell is also outstanding.  In fact, the film is quite outstanding as well. - baumer

Trivia: Kevin Spacey read the script and agreed to voice Gerty but only when the film was finished and only if he liked it. Having loved it, he recorded his lines in half a day.

Crap, I forgot to put Moon in my list.

• Like 1