baumer

Baumer's/Tele's/Chas' 25 films that have brainwashed people into mindless adulation (Tele pg 26)

You can't say that the man behind one of the best comedies of all time has made only one great movie...

And while I do like TDKR I can't understand those who think it's better than TDK.

it hits all right emotional notes, unlike TDK imo

• Like 3

NUMBER 13 - HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE

149th IMDB top 250, Grossed $200M in Japan (5th all time), 1 Oscar Nomination

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlVZ0ehquYc

Just like Meryl Streep could take a role in Scary Movie 6 and still get an Oscar Nomination for it, Studio Ghibli could make an adaptation of a book nobody has probably really really, completely murder it by making a travesty of a film interpretation and still get a best animated film nomination regardless as they are Studio Ghibli... oh wait, that's exactly what happened here!

I've seen 3 Ghibli films, no not a huge number i accept, but enough to know that this film was phoning it in on a Cars 2 level in regards to what a studio is capable of. Maybe it doesn't help that I've actually read the book which was pretty awesome to be honest and so spent my time wandering when the storyline from the book may actually turn up on screen but regardless of that, this is just a boring, mononous, dirge of an animation. It is pretty but it is awful.

Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke both managed to be awesome despite the fact that there were large expanses of the films where very little is essentially happening but this one just made me want to burn things. Liking Studio Ghibli films is probably a sign that you have good taste in animated film, liking Howl's Moving Castle is probably a sign that Studio Ghibli the Japanese Illuminati have control of your soul. 

Philistine!!!

This is probably my favorite Ghibli film and I have read the book and the Baba Yaga folktales --- so there.

• Like 5

I'll just assume people were brainwashed by Shawshank afterglow, frank darabont + prison + king, people thought they were getting something as good, even if they weren't. (shawshank itself is just ok btw)

barkley-head-shake-o_zps97414cc8.gif

• Like 9

A tease before the next batch: movies that are "honorable mentions" but didn't quite make the top 25, for any number of reasons.

(in no particular order)

Spider-Man 1 and 2

The Departed

Gangs of New York

The Green Mile

The wonderful Spider-man 2 and the ridiculously macho and stupid 300 in the same grouping.

tumblr_inline_nhtqc9oAuM1rheovy.jpg

• Like 3

Coming up in about 15 minutes, the Speilberg directed classic that enjoyed an unprecedented blockbuster box office run and is still in the top 10 AFI to this day (or is it...?)  :ph34r:

Don't...just stop right there.  

• Like 2