Avatree

Treeroy's Quinquennial Quaesitum - a Quaint Queue of Quintessial Films | Quibble away...

WILD TALES

8029520141113011129.jpg

Black comedy doesn't always work, but when it does work, it really works. This had me in stitches...

it's a brilliantly shot and edited movie about Argentinian society which remains the funniest thing I've seen in cinemas this year.

• Like 1

THE GREY

diaz.jpg

It looks like a generic post-Taken action movie, but THE GREY is anything but ordinary. It's a contemplative thought piece on survival and what it means to be alive. Watching it, you feel your soul being cleansed as you are taken to a beautiful landscape of lost hope.

• Like 1

CHRONICLE

20111030151255Chronicle_film.jpg

This is to superhero films what Lord of the Flies was to adventure books. For decades, superpower-infused stories have been portrayed in a certain way, and Chronicle is here to bring them back to reality. If you gave teenagers superpowers, they wouldn't fight crime. They wouldn't save innocent people. They'd fucking kill each other.

• Like 1

PRIDE

PRDG-57.jpg

This true story film is a passionate, tragic and hilarious affair. 

It really hit home for me. Not only did I cry at 5 separate points in the movie... but at the end of the film, I broke down, and cried more than I've ever cried before. I was in floods of tears, realising just how valuable my life is and how fortunate I am to have family and friends who love me and support me, no matter who I am.

• Like 1

THE SECRET LIFE OF WALTER MITTY

the_secret_life_of_walter_mitty-stiller-

One of the most pleasant cinema-going experiences I've ever had. A gorgeous, thoughtful, relaxing tale that earns its feel-good factor through real characters rather than gimmicks.

Ben Stiller is a brilliant actor and filmmaker, and this is now one of my favourite films evar.

THE TALE OF THE PRINCESS KAGUYA

kaguyamain-xlarge.jpg

This Japanese watercolour animation is stunning. From the shimmering hand-drawn outlines that wobble about in the film's ambiguous nature, to the heart-melting sounds, voices and music, to its contemporary feminist themes, everything about PRINCESS KAGUYA is immaculately designed to make my perfect movie.

• Like 1

Which means, finally, I reach the end of this stupidly dragged out list. Well, better late than never...

Richard Linklater's

BERNIE

bernie.png

Jack Black's best performance. Richard Linklater's best film. My favourite film of the 2010s is the marvellous drama/comedy/crime/documentary/mockumentary BERNIE.

• Like 2