Avatree

Treeroy's Quinquennial Quaesitum - a Quaint Queue of Quintessial Films | Quibble away...

Don Hall & Chris Williams's

BiG HERO 6

Starring: Ryan Potter, Scott Adsit, Daniel Henney

Box office: $222M

Rotten Tomatoes: 89%

e024c0db42d7570a0d5bdace14f727c5.png

"Falalalala."

Unlike normal humans on earth, I am not a particularly big fan of Disney animations. I don't think the classics are anywhere near as good as how they are worshiped, and I haven't been very pleased with the recent 3D-animated films by WDAS either. I didn't connect with Frozen, didn't care about Tangled, and I got bored by Wreck-It Ralph. Big Hero 6, fortunately, is a big step up. It deals with important issues, as kids' films should. San Fransokyo is gorgeously realised - I just wanted to hop onto a bus and wander through the streets. Although the focus is on just two characters, the world around them feels completely real and vast. But while it is pretty and it has a thoughtfully drawn out - if clichéd - story, what matters most is the sheer amount of joy you feel while watching. Thanks to Baymax, every second of the film is delightful, and plastered a stupid grin across my mouth. His and Hiro's relationship makes for one of the most satisfying screen duos of 2014, helped in large amounts by the authenticity of Ryan Potter, who at 18 was excellently cast. Clearly, the star of the show is Baymax, the most adorable creation of animated movies since Boo (of Monsters, Inc.). He continues to surprise - the low battery scene in which he effectively becomes drunk is a perfect showcase of this. Despite - or rather, because - of his slow movement and monotone voice, he'll remain a memorable Disney character for decades to come. It's a gentle, fun, and colourful film that reminds us of why these tales are so enjoyable.

• Like 3

Louis Letterier's

NOW YOU SEE ME

Starring: Jesse Eisenberg, Woody Harrelson, Isla Fisher, Dave Franco, Mark Ruffalo, Mélanie Laurent, Morgan Freeman, Michael Caine

Box office: $117.7M
Rotten Tomatoes: 50%

Red_2_36311.jpg
"Magic is about deception, but deception designed to delight, to entertain, to inspire."

This film is a big step up for Clash of the Titans director Louis Leterrier. It's a dazzling magic show of a film - using spectacular and blinding effects, fast cuts and suspicious plot points, it manages to hide what's going on in its complex underlying plot by distracting you with a thrilling rollercoaster ride. Should it then be a wonder that the end was so divisively shocking? The movie's structure matches its theme closely, something we're told by Eisenberg at the beginning. You are wondering how on earth the magicians are doing what they are in exactly the same way that you would be at a real-life performance of magic. There have been some comparisons with Christopher Nolan's The Prestige, which similarly is a film about magic, presented in the form of a magic show, albeit a complex, time-twistingly strange one. Make no mistake: this has nothing to say about the philosophy of magic - it's like a version of The Prestige made for the Disney channel - but that's kind of the point. Magicians like dressing up what they do, because otherwise it wouldn't sound so fabulous; and so Leterrier sprinkles evocative thoughts about philosophy across the film in an attempt to hook you into believing in things which might not be real. The film does leave us with a few too many questions regarding this - to be answered, no doubt, in 2016's sequel - but the fact remains that this is a thoroughly enjoyable film. Performances all around, though particularly by Eisenberg, Harrelson and Ruffalo, are terrifically shown off through a smart and witty script by Edward Ricourt, Ed Solomon and Boaz Yakin. It's a gem of witty, flimsy blockbuster entertainment. Now You See Me is more show than it is anything with substance -- but what a show it is.

• Like 3

Despite that Now You See Me was in a similar position on my own list, I still think the film was really disappointing. The film could've used a little more trickery if you well as far as the magic goes. A little more uncertainty. The question of whether the magic was real or not should have been left unanswered until the very end

Despite that Now You See Me was in a similar position on my own list, I still think the film was really disappointing. The film could've used a little more trickery if you well as far as the magic goes. A little more uncertainty. The question of whether the magic was real or not should have been left unanswered until the very end

No matter how much we might like to believe it, we all know that magic is not real and that all the tricks they perform are indeed tricks. 

Now You See Me was okay. I felt it was mostly style over substance though. 

It was, but it gets away with that downfall so well that it just about creeps its way into my top 50. I mean, magic is all about style over substance, and the film reflects that.

There aren't many others like this in the list, don't worry! :)

Edited by treeroy

What ranks would you give your starting point movies on this list? I would give like 77 movies from 2010-2014 an A- or higher.

I don't generally use the A-F scale that some people use, I prefer to use traditional stars out of 5. This list starts from 4/5 with the lowest couple being equivalent to B+ I suppose.

• Like 1

4/5 is an A- for me.

If you translate it to a 10-point or 100-point scale, 4/5 is anything over 7.0/10, which I would consider B. All these different ratings are quite arbitrary though. I just  usestars so that people can get a quick, basic impression of what I think.

• Like 1

Richard Glatzer's

STILL ALICE

Starring: Julianne Moore, Kristen Stewart, Alec Baldwin

Box office: $17.3M

Rotten Tomatoes: 90%

still-alice-alec-baldwin-julianne-moore-

"I don't have to be fair. I'm your mother."

Every year, billions of dollars are donated to charities in order to combat cancer. Everyone is sympathetic to those who suffer from the most well known diseases, but the truth is, there are equally horrible illnesses that get overlooked in society - and this simple film is an attempt to bring the effects of Alzheimer's to a mainstream cinemagoing audience. There's an overwhelming moment in the film in which Alice says, "I wish I had cancer". It's the most moving line of dialogue in the tragic 2 hours, and it gets to the heart of what the film is trying to do. In this respect, it is a tremendous success: never have I seen a movie with the sheer number of moving, powerful moments. Julianne Moore gives one of the best performances in her career, showcasing how Alzheimer's can affect anyone, even the most intelligent and articulate of people, and completely take control of their life. I genuinely do not know how she managed to accomplish this, but by the end of the film she doesn't even look like the same person. Her body looks empty. She deserves that Oscar more than almost any other winner in 2014. Kristen Stewart is great as always, embodying the effect of Alzheimer's on a family. Her character, Alice's daughter, is the only person to really understand what's going on in her mother's head, and she's a heartfelt character. Denis Lenoir's cinematography is light and has a peculiar use of distance and focus, reflecting the nature of Alice's loss of character and sense.

The film is arguably a tad vacuous - take away its emotional tugs, and the writing lacks the depth that one might hope to find in a film like this - but ultimately its purpose is to provide an understanding of the power of Alzheimer's, and in every respect Still Alice hits the nail on the head.

R.I.P. Richard Glatzer. I'm glad he got to accomplish what he wanted with his final picture.

Edited by treeroy
  • Like 3

Still Alice surprised me. I thought it was going to be pure Oscar bait, but it's actually a well made movie about early Alzheimer and features more realistic characters then a lot of films that deal with those kinds of diseases, in addition to having really good performances, especially Moore who was excellent as ever.

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

Danny Boyle's

127 HOURS

Starring: James Franco

Box office: $18.3M

Rotten Tomatoes: 93%

f3d5dc8c1efa78942b7ddc374388f81c.png

"The minute I was born, every breath I've taken, every action has been leading me to this crack on the earth's surface."

James Franco is often passed off as an immature comedy actor, but we're reminded here of his sheer ability. The film relies entirely on his performance - if he isn't great, then the film would be terrible - but under the direction of Danny Boyle, this story of a young man trapped under a boulder for 5 days works terrifically. It's about the purpose of life, what is worth living for, and the human drive to survive, no matter the cost. The fundamental scene in which Aron Ralston saws his arm off is appropriately brutal and tragic. When I originally heard about the real-life incident, I felt sick just thinking about it, and Boyle realises it in the filmbrilliantly. And despite the story being a lesson in being careful going out alone and unprepared, the film manages to inspire the audience to live their life fully. Not only does 127 Hours make it to my top 50 of the past five years, it's also my favourite Danny Boyle film.

• Like 6

Guillermo del Toro's

PACIFIC RIM

Starring: Charlie Hunnam, Rinko Kikuchi, Idris Elba, Charlie Day, Burn Gorman

Box office: $101.8M

Rotten Tomatoes: 72%

1683357-slide-s-4-pacific-rim-del-toro.j

"TODAY WE ARE CANCELLIN THE APOCALYPSE"

PACIFIC RIM IS SO MUCH FUCKING FUN. OKAY? I CAN'T EVEN EXPLAIN HOW MUCH I LOVE THIS MOVIE.

It's big and dumb, but it puts a grin on my face bigger than any other movie does. In other hands it could have been as dull as something like Transformers, which is a similar premise (robots hitting each other), but del Toro pours his heart into the film, and throughout you can feel the love he has for the anime genre on which Pacific Rim is based. The attention of detail is outstanding, and while I know that in ten years time the visuals will have aged, but as of right now it has some of the most impressive CGI I have ever seen. All of the actors are clearly having a lot of fun, perhaps due to the film not getting tangled up in its simplistic plot. Thanks to the composition of the jaegers in each frame, it has a domineering presence in front of your eyes. Watching the movie makes your feet stomp on the ground like a massive robot, thanks to its energetic jet-fuelled Djawadi score, the authenticity of the action, and the stupid dialogue.

But most of all? It's FUCKING AWESOME. Seriously, I challenge you to watch Pacific Rim and not have fun, to not absolutely love the experience of being enthralled by the movie.

pacrim8.gif

elbow_roket_by_xxsederapxx-d6y4avf.gif

pacrim4.gif

ibah0q9OXY1EfM.gif

• Like 5

Lisa Cholodenko's

THE KIDS ARE ALL RIGHT

Starring: Annette Bening, Julianne Moore, Mark Ruffalo, Josh Hutcherson, Mia Wasikowska

Box office: $20.8M

thekidsarealright.jpg

"I don't think you guys should break up. I think you're too old."

Every family has its problems, and this sweet film is a depiction of the everyday problems that families face. A fading marriage, kids wanting to grow up and be more involved with their parents' lives, struggling relationships between every character - if your family's had a problem, it can be found here. I watched it with my brother and parents, and all of us related to a fair few things in the movie in the context of our own family. It's made by someone who clearly understands that when you feel like your family is dysfunctional, you just need to look at those around you, because everyone has issues. More importantly, we all get through our problems in one way or another, and from that perspective, The Kids Are All Right is an enjoyable, soft, feelgood film that just so happens to be rather insightful, rather than its understanding being the focal point. Its visually gentle hues of green and blue, its calmly written, frequently amusing dialogue, and its 5 engaging characters all make for not just an interesting and ultimately true film, but a straight-up enjoyable one too. All five performances are strong, though nothing fantastic, but particular praise must be given to 16-year old Josh Hutcherson, who gave an impressively mature performance for a child actor. The actors all play off each other and it works wonderfully. Everything about the film is, really, quite lovely, and will resonate with each and every person who watches the film.

• Like 2

Paul Greengrass's

CAPTAIN PHILLIPS

Starring: Tom Hanks, Barkhad Abdi

Box office: $107.1M

DF-08996.jpg?f6a06b

"I am the captain now."

This film is an astoundingly well built thriller. It's engaging right from the start, and by the end it will have had you sweating in unbearable tension throughout, as it never slows down. The film appeared to be clear from the trailer, but there's actually a surprising second half to the film, which is even better than the takeover of Richard Phillips's ship. The interesting thing about the movie, though, is how much time Greengrass spends with the pirates - he provides a desperate insight to the state that many Africans are suffering. He brings life to what could otherwise be very two-dimensional characters, and his uncanny ability to film a scene as if he just dropped a camera crew into the real world is remarkable at the beginning, setting up the pirates' motives. The two crews of boats run in parallel to each other - both are utterly out of their depth, neither particularly likes their leader, and their situations become more and more desperate when members of both factions start to die. In many of the shots, the film is visually split horizontally, reflecting this nature. The two lead actors are incredible, particularly Abdi, who had never acted in a movie before. He is utterly terrifying and convincing as a pirate, and Tom Hanks feels like a real, desperate man just trying to do the best thing. There's a remarkable moment at the end of the film for Hanks, which reminds you of why he's such a revered actor. It's hard, really, to fault many things of the film - it is simply an exceptionally well-made thriller.

• Like 4