kayumanggi

WHEN THE BOUGH BREAKS | 09.09.16 | Sony | final domestic gross: $29,747,603

33 minutes ago, BoxOfficeChica said:

Looks like this one won't reach the OW heights of No Good Deed or The Perfect Guy...what went wrong? Audience fatigue? Lack of star power? The female villain? Though if they'd somehow gotten, IDK, Zendaya to play the surrogate....

Love Morris Chestnut but I feel like this one lacked a bit in starpower. Think it's fair to say that Idris Elba/Taraji P Henson and Morris Chestnut/Michael Ealy/Sanaa Lathan is better than this cast.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, MrPink said:

Love Morris Chestnut but I feel like this one lacked a bit in starpower. Think it's fair to say that Idris Elba/Taraji P Henson and Morris Chestnut/Michael Ealy/Sanaa Lathan is better than this cast.

I don't think it was a starpower issue, tbh. The premise of this just seemed too silly (Surrogate Mommy From Hell), and one of the few critics that saw it said it was the same exact premise as that Will Ferrell/Kristen Wiig spoof that aired on Lifetime last year.

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

I don't think it was a starpower issue, tbh. The premise of this just seemed too silly (Surrogate Mommy From Hell), and one of the few critics that saw it said it was the same exact premise as that Will Ferrell/Kristen Wiig spoof that aired on Lifetime last year.

All the movies from the past 3 years are basically remakes of 90s thriller concepts with black actors. Depends on which concept catches on along with star power IMO. Sanaa Lathan and Michael Ealy are definitely more well known than a debutant for sure.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, MrPink said:

I agree. I think they thought they could sell this on Morris Chestnut alone because The Perfect Guy was popular and Rosewood had solid ratings.

This review is interesting...he basically calls out Screen Gems for thinking they can just throw a few black actors into any old lazy script and expect it to open to $20M, and that he won't be fooled anymore. He suggests people save their money and choose better TV/movie options with black actors, instead.

There aren't spoilers but it suggests the major shift in tone at a certain point. He calls it a

Spoiler

male fantasy....I guess Morris Chestnut is "forced" to hook up with the psycho chick?

If the target audience starts to feel burned by one or two or these things, over time it would make sense if the box office started dropping off.

Edited by BoxOfficeChica