PDC1987

Diversity and Gender Representation in Movies

4 minutes ago, Jessie said:

actually it's higher than 62% when you take the UK into consideration too

UK Population - 66.02 mil, I'll estimate 80% white, as it was 82% in 2011. 52,816,000 are white.

US Population - 325,719,178, 60.7% white. 197,711,541 are white.

Total Population - 391,739,178, 250,527,541 white. About 64%

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Then why would anyone or anybody get offended about white people reviewing films about diversity? 

She did not say "I would like to see more diverse viewpoints"

She Said "I dont care what they have to say".

That is a clear distinction and a deeply flawed and troubling one. 

WTF are you talking about? Nobody got "offended" by white people reviewing films "about diversity".

She said she cares more about a diverse critics opinion about a diverse movie, rather than a white critics opinion about a diverse movie.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jessie said:

it's a statistical fact that women take time off to raise kids. Calling someone sexist over bringing this important bit of information up is counter productive. leave the debates to terrestrial because you are obviously thick as shit kid

It's a statistical fact that men take time off to raise kids. (it's true! men raise children too!)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChipMunky said:

WTF are you talking about? Nobody got "offended" by white people reviewing films "about diversity".

She said she cares more about a diverse critics opinion about a diverse movie, rather than a white critics opinion about a diverse movie.

No she said I dont care lol 

"I dont need a white males telling me what I should think about this movie"

using that logic non fanboys cannot review films about franchises that they do not know about. 

My review of crazy rich Asians is not as valid as I am indian lol

Where do you start and where do you end? 

Edited by Lordmandeep

7 minutes ago, ChipMunky said:

It's a statistical fact that men take time off to raise kids. (it's true! men raise children too!)

it's nowhere near as many though is it mate?

Best way to get an answer for this 'racial discrimination' is to see how many people from different cultures actually apply to be a critic. I'm guessing people are picked for their writing merits and not to do with skin colour and gender. A critics job is hardly an important job in the grand scheme of things, seems to me that people are overreacting but then again this is 2018

30 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

"I dont need a white males telling me what I should think about this movie"

using that logic non fanboys cannot review films about franchises that they do not know about. 

My review of crazy rich Asians is not as valid as I am indian lol

Where do you start and where do you end? 

Holy hell you are thick headed. You're making huge leaps from a simple statement.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Jessie said:

it's nowhere near as many though is it mate?

Best way to get an answer for this 'racial discrimination' is to see how many people from different cultures actually apply to be a critic. I'm guessing people are picked for their writing merits and not to do with skin colour and gender. A critics job is hardly an important job in the grand scheme of things, seems to me that people are overreacting but then again this is 2018

This. Wouldn't. Prove. Anything.

Do you even read the posts here? Or do you just reply with nonsense because you're bored?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ChipMunky said:

Holy hell you are thick headed. You're making huge leaps from a simple statement.

oh the irony that a SJW wants people to see levity and context to someone's statement

lol

Edited by Lordmandeep

18 minutes ago, ChipMunky said:

This. Wouldn't. Prove. Anything.

Do you even read the posts here? Or do you just reply with nonsense because you're bored?

how would it not? so if you're telling me 10 people applied to be a critic and all were white it proves nothing? or if 9 out of 10 of the applicants were of an ethnic minority and they didn't get the job it still proves nothing? really?

14 minutes ago, Jessie said:

how would it not? so if you're telling me 10 people applied to be a critic and all were white it proves nothing? or if 9 out of 10 of the applicants were of an ethnic minority and they didn't get the job it still proves nothing? really?

Really.

3 hours ago, Lordmandeep said:

The issue is her flawed viewpoint is one that some users on here think is 100% right so it is valid to bring it up and one cannot ignore as it shows the flaw of individuals who support 'your side'. 

The problem is that there is no real case or evidence that the lack of diversity with critics has lead to films with diversity to get bad reviews from critics from 'out of touch white people'.  That is something some users on here and the actress have tried to push with nothing to back up that statement. 

My point it is great to have more diversity with critics but there was never a serious racism or sexism issue in the first place with critic reviews. 

That’s exactly why a white savior complex movie is taking critics awards over stuff like Beale Street, BlacKkKlansman and Black Panther

7 minutes ago, Jessie said:

don't care to explain why then? Or do you just feel like ranting because it's nearly christmas and you want to be the first snowflake 

Multiple people have explained it already in this thread, including me, MULTIPLE times.

7 minutes ago, PANDA said:

That’s exactly why a white savior complex movie is taking critics awards over stuff like Beale Street, BlacKkKlansman and Black Panther

and a movie about a white saviour was the highest grossing film of all time globally?

What is your point... 

Edited by Lordmandeep

4 minutes ago, Jessie said:

which movie are we referring to here?

Green Book

8 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

and a movie about a white saviour was the highest grossing film of all time globally?

What is your point... 

More diversity in film criticism (and industry in general) and movies like Green Book would be sunk.

Also, that movie isn’t good so?

Edited by PANDA

2 hours ago, PANDA said:

More diversity in film criticism (and industry in general) and movies like Green Book would be sunk.

Or not, it is a really well directed solid script movie (that won film festival audience price and A+ cinemascore for reason), specially in a post diversity obtain world where it would not be a sensitive issue anymore, take the french mega success The Intouchables, it is the exact same movie than Green Book and was really well received.

The HFPA is one of the most diverse group has a jury out there:

https://www.vulture.com/2015/01/who-exactly-picks-the-golden-globes-winners.html

The small memberships is from Brazil, Columbia, Mexico, Canada, Spain, Malaysia, Germany, Italy, Dominican Republic, France, Denmark, Portugal, New-Zealand, Japan, Poland, Ireland, Greece, India, UK, Egypt, South Africa,  etc... and it got 5 nominations there.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2