chasmmi

The Top 100 Film Characters of All Time Countdown Thread - Top 20 incoming!

I think winter Soldier is due for a rewatch tonight, Captain America is by far the best superhero in the MCU (unless you count Daredevil, then they are neck and neck) and Winter Soldier is still by far the best film in the Series. So glad that the Russo brothers are taking over the next avengers, Whedon's take is too childish. appalled that Iron Man will most likely end up higher.

Huh? Cap is the most boring and annoying SH ever. Even Hulk is more enetertaining ffs.

How is it a surprise? Look at the solo movie grosses. And frankly, it is well-deserved. There would be no MCU if there had been no RDJ Tony Stark.

It isn't really that much, just that there is a lot of Love for Cap here, was hoping it would transcend to this countdown to put him above Iron Man. and Iron Man is awesome in the first Iron Man movie, but he quickly went downhill from there.

and Iron Man is awesome in the first Iron Man movie, but he quickly went downhill from there.

Seeing those freakish IM3 numbers, GA obviously disagree. Chris is great as Cap and the character is actually written far better in the movies than he has been in the comics, but when the dust has settled on this initial run of the MCU, it's RDJ as Tony Stark who will be remembered as the alpha and omega character by the majority of critics and audiences alike.

Seeing those freakish IM3 numbers, GA obviously disagree. Chris is great as Cap and the character is actually written far better in the movies than he has been in the comics, but when the dust has settled on this initial run of the MCU, it's RDJ as Tony Stark who will be remembered as the alpha and omega character by the majority of critics and audiences alike.

I was stating my opinion. just because the majority believes something, it doesn't make it true.  

• Like 1

I was stating my opinion. just because the majority believes something, it doesn't make it true.  

It doesn't make it false either. And it is as per the expectations of a popularity countdown where the majority vote.

Edited by Spidey Freak

34th - HAL 9000 - 2001: A Space Odyssey - Douglas Rain 

59pts - 3 Votes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MMmYyIZlC4

There we have it folks. The best character Kubrick ever put on film is a voice over actor speaking over a red circle light type thingy.

Well that's maybe unfair (just a little), but the fact of the matter remains that this is Kubrick's highest entry on the list 2001 is one of those films that splits audiences, some say it is a masterpiece, others consider it one of the most overated and dull pieces of cinema ever made. Regardless of personal tastes though, HAL 9000 is certainly a character known around the world and lines like one that appears in the cluip above, will be forever enshrined in cinema history.

• Like 7

33rd - Princess Leia - Star Wars - Carrie Fisher 

59pts - 4 Votes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRMFH71fDIE

And it's original trilogy time... hooray?

It's not exactly a shock to see Leia appear on this list I expect. Whether she is too high or low is another question. Whether she deserves to be lowest placed of the big five is yet another question and both are questions I am not qualified to answer. :)

Regardless though, Leia is certainly a massive name in the world of film characters and still one of the most popular female characters of all time (how many are left to come? that's for me to know and y'all to find out ;) ). Personally I was expecting Leia to finish closer to 50 than 30, but the people have spoken and it's a strong showing for the Princess of Star Wars.

• Like 10

32nd - Shrek - Shrek - Mike Myers 

63pts - 5 Votes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uo2SNtFofWI

Well there we have it, Shrek is officially the top Dreamworks animated character and I'd say he deserves it, the film did really send a shockwave through the world of animation when it was released and it was damn hilarious too.

Two fun, irrelevent facts I can add:

1. Korean Microsoft office autocorrects Shrek into Shr 다 every single time you type it becasue 다 is a real word and Shrek isn't. That made entering all the votes for Shr다 into Excel a lot of fun.

2. Two years ago I wrote a stage version of Shrek to be performed by 5 year old Korean students at my work. I was tempted to link the youtube video as part of this post, but decided against it. :)

• Like 5

31st - Magneto - X-Men - Ian McKellen 

65pts - 5 Votes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbTyTyizz1s

And the highest ranking X-Men character is next! They really did have a godlike casting director for that original film didn't they. McKellen owns this role to the point that you have to give credit to Mr. Fassbender for being able to hold a candle to him in First Class and DOFP (181st on our list for reference).

McKellen has been a great stage and film actor for decades, but it was only in the late 90s that the GA really got to notice his talents with the emergence of two great and legendary film characters added to his repetorie. One may be still to come, but Magneto is every bit as great in the role of villain who believes himself to be the hero.

Loki is good, granted. But Marvel would kill to have Magneto in their cinematic universe I'd wager.

• Like 7

30th - John McClane - Die Hard - Bruce Willis 

65pts - 5 Votes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnHKv2G0wCw

This is the first character on our list to make an appearence who was in the top 10 in 2013. It's a 21 place drop for McClane so some may say that this was a good day to drop hard... no? Not even a titter? Okay moving on...

Die Hard was the Commando Sequel we never got and who better to replace Arnie than some guy from a sitcom? It worked out though as Die hard to this day still gatecrashes top 10 polls that are meant to be about Santa and elves, and his famous catchphrase makes sure that bleeps and asterisks are used constantly when talking about classic film lines too.

I personally think he is too low, but I suppose that is what happens when too many inferior sequel cloud the memories and take away from the amzingness of the original, I'm gonna say trilogy.

Edited by chasmmi
  • Like 5

29th - Gandalf - LOTR and The Hobbit - Ian McKellen 

66pts - 5 Votes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sagg08DrO5U

And there you have it, Gandalf beat Magneto by 1 measly point. That is how closely matched these two franchise behemoths are and both deserve their high rankings.

It's also fun to add that this means that McKellen not only played the most popular Xmen character, but also the most popular Middle Earth one too. That's quite a feat. (However co-stars from both sets of films are still waiting to appear on this list, just from completely different franchises :) )

• Like 6