#ED

Weekend Official Estimates: SA 53.2m, PP 14.4m, TL 13.8m, MMFR 13.6m, AOU 10.9m, Aloha 10m

Apart from one good shot of the Space Needle collapsing, there really aren't many other familiar structures you can show being destroyed to really sell the movie to everyone not from the area. Maybe we will see the space needle as one of the landmarks destroyed in the next disaster movie.

In most cases people aren't going to be familiar with many buildings in a region outside of the big landmarks. Besides the big circular building, I couldn't identify a skyscraper from LA out of a lineup.

The Space Needle's Seattle's clear point, but there's a lot of other buildings that are big and interesting. I mean, hell, the Rainier Tower would be really cool to see in a disaster, even if it's not a super famous building.

While the "see the buildings I'm familiar with get destroyed" is definitely a thing, I think in general people are happy to just see building carnage.

With that budget and these grosses, this is absolutely spawning a franchise. Who knows, maybe this will finally be the Rock's signature starring franchise.

I doubt this will be a franchise, it doesn't seek to be the type of movie that would get a bunch of sequels (but who knows cause I won't see the film until tomorrow). Rather, we will probably see more ad more disaster movies in the future, and more starring roles for The Rock.

I doubt this will be a franchise, it doesn't seek to be the type of movie that would get a bunch of sequels (but who knows cause I won't see the film until tomorrow). Rather, we will probably see more ad more disaster movies in the future, and more starring roles for The Rock.

I'm sure it will get at least one sequel. Though I doubt there's much opportunity for it to be very good.

Edited by MovieMan89

Woah. If either number is true I'm amazed at what they were able to do with the VFX off of a relatively moderate budget in today's blockbuster world. Really puts some of these 200m+ ones to shame.

The first thing my mom asked when we got in the car was "how do they do the effects like that?" It really does put some to shame. Some parts were so photo-realistic it was terrifying.

• Like 3

The first thing my mom asked when we got in the car was "how do they do the effects like that?" It really does put some to shame. Some parts were so photo-realistic it was terrifying.

Yeah, there were a few shots that were chill inducing in seeing mass destruction look that real.

• Like 1

I'm sure it will get at least one sequel. Though I doubt there's much opportunity for it to be very good.

But what would they do? I mean, 2012 never got a sequel, because where would it go from the ending of that movie, despite it almost grossing 800M worldwide.

San Andreas doesnt need a sequel. I am suprised though that Warner threw so much money at that, but decided to make Into the Storm "low" budget. They couldve easily turned ITS into a 2010's version Twister and just amped up the destruction and mayhem and effects.

Im also sure we'll be getting another volcano movie soon. Yellowstone looks like a good target. That volcano, well supervolcano if you want to get technical, is so powerful, it could in a way, end the world. Im sure Hollywood is getting drafts in order.

I say just drop the characters/actors from SA into a new disaster. I mean we already have likable characters established, which is something I feel like disaster flicks usually fail at.

Does that ever work out well? I recently watched Speed and Speed 2, half of Bullock's lines in the second movie just seemed to be references to the first movie just to remind audiences that they are watching the sequel to that movie where the protagonist just finds herself in a similar situation again.

I say just drop the characters/actors from SA into a new disaster. I mean we already have likable characters established, which is something I feel like disaster flicks usually fail at.

I doubt it at this point, but maybe my opinion will change after I see the movie and maybe I'll want a "quasi-sequel" :)

Does that ever work out well? I recently watched Speed and Speed 2, half of Bullock's lines in the second movie just seemed to be references to the first movie just to remind audiences that they are watching the sequel to that movie where the protagonist just finds herself in a similar situation again.

It's more bankable to the studio, hence why I'm arguing it will happen. And if they could manage to nail the spectacle as well again I wouldn't really have any objections. Again, the odds of getting more likable new characters/actors in one of these movies is slim.

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

It's more bankable to the studio, hence why I'm arguing it will happen. And if they could manage to nail the spectacle as well again I wouldn't really have any objections. Again, the odds of getting more likable new characters/actors in one of these movies is slim.

I keep thinking of Poseidon when "likable characters" are mentioned, because the one place where that movie really failed was creating likable characters.
  • Like 2

I keep thinking of Poseidon when "likable characters" are mentioned, because the one place where that movie really failed was creating likable characters.

Are you talking the remake? Never saw the original, but the remake was terribly forgettable. I don't remember much of anything about it.

• Like 1

I checked BOM disaster movies list and it has very small-scale destruction stuff like Apollo 13, Gravity, Vertical Limit, The Grey etc. I get Titanic, Poseidon's Adventure and Towering Inferno being disaster films even if it's just one ship or one building getting destroyed but Apollo 13 and Gravity?