terrestrial

25 Movies That Audiences Loved But Critics Hated

I've seen today a lot of tweets about critics / RT and metacritic in relation to e.g. genre movies....

http://www.hollywood.com/movies/movies-audiences-loved-critics-hated-rotten-tomatoes-57160822/#/ms-249/1

Might be a nice basis for discussions?

They give the audiense - critic scoures...

#25 Bad Boys II

AUDIENCE SCORE: 78%. CRITIC SCORE: 23%. Critics weren't exactly kind to the first Lawrence/Smith outing, so no one really expected them to love the reunion.

#24 Super Troopers

AUDIENCE SCORE: 90%. CRITIC SCORE: 35%. The first and most popular of Broken Lizard's irreverent comedies maintains a cult fervor, but never quite won over the critical population.

#23 Raise Your Voice

AUDIENCE SCORE: 71%. CRITIC SCORE: 15%. Hillary Duff at a school for privileged yet unappreciated musical talents? Not exactly Oscar bait.

#22 National Lampoon's Van Wilder

AUDIENCE SCORE: 74%. CRITIC SCORE: 18%. You knew right when you hit the scene featuring eclairs filled with dog semen that this wasn't going to be a critical favorite.

#21 Stomp the Yard

AUDIENCE SCORE: 82%. CRITIC SCORE: 26%. The first of the urban dance flicks to grace this list, and (believe it or not) the one to score better in reviews.

#20 The Covenant

AUDIENCE SCORE: 62%. CRITIC SCORE: 3%. Just one of Renny Harlin's many critically reviled horror flicks.

#19 A Night At the Roxbury

AUDIENCE SCORE: 70%. CRITIC SCORE: 11%. Frequently quoted, critically lambasted.

#18 Madea's Family Reunion

AUDIENCE SCORE: 84%. CRITIC SCORE: 25%. Tyler Perry holds the distinction of having two films on this list. 'Family Reunion' did far better with critics than the one yet to come.

#17 Because I Said So

AUDIENCE SCORE: 65%. CRITIC SCORE: 5%. Balance out Diane Keaton with Mandy Moore and you've got this polarizing rom-com.

#16 Empire Records

AUDIENCE SCORE: 84%. CRITIC SCORE: 24%. A favorite among Gen Xers, but without enough bite or sincerity to earn it critical acclaim.

#15 Step Up

AUDIENCE SCORE: 83%. CRITIC SCORE: 19%. Bad reviews didn't stop this dance flick to spawn a legion of sequels.

#14 Grandma's Boy

AUDIENCE SCORE: 86%. CRITIC SCORE: 18%. Allen Covert's only starring vehicle might have been popular in your college dorm hall, but it was far from appreciated in the critical world.

#13 Grind

AUDIENCE SCORE: 79%. CRITIC SCORE: 8%. A skateboarding comedy that apparently struck a cord with viewers... but viewers alone.

#12 Last Ounce of Courage

AUDIENCE SCORE: 70%. CRITIC SCORE: 0%. Our first critical zero! The overzealously jingoistic war film scored well with patriots, but critics found it repugnant.

#11 Rise of the Footsoldier

AUDIENCE SCORE: 84%. CRITIC SCORE: 14%. Just like Carlton Leach himself, this biopic is mighty polarizing.

#10 Diary of a Mad Black Woman

AUDIENCE SCORE: 87%. CRITIC SCORE: 16%. Tyler Perry No. 2! The first Madea film didn't quite set the bar high for those to come.

#09 The Boondock Saints

AUDIENCE SCORE: 91%. CRITIC SCORE: 20%. Remember how badass you and your pals thought this movie was back in the day? Well, critics didn't agree.

#08 Shottas

AUDIENCE SCORE: 91%. CRITIC SCORE: 19%. A "crime does pay" film that may have reminded viewers of 'Scarface,' but paled in comparison as far as the reviews were concerned.

#07 Facing the Giants

AUDIENCE SCORE: 86%. CRITIC SCORE: 13%. Underdog football movies are an easy sell with many viewers, hence the popularity of this clunker.

#06 Modigliani

AUDIENCE SCORE: 79%. CRITIC SCORE: 4%. Like 'Amadeus' about the painting world, but without any of the artistry.

#05 Belly

AUDIENCE SCORE: 89%. CRITIC SCORE: 13%. Nas and DMX do not a good movie make. A popular one? Sure. Maybe.

#04 Out Cold

AUDIENCE SCORE: 85%. CRITIC SCORE: 8%. This quirky Alaskan-set comedy was good for an occasional quote, but not for anything above a one-and-a-half star review.

#03 Only the Strong

AUDIENCE SCORE: 78%. CRITIC SCORE: 0%. Crime! War! Fighting! Soldiers! Everything that viewers love and critics hate.

#02 Sparkle

AUDIENCE SCORE: 92%. CRITIC SCORE: 13%. Not the 2012 Whitney Houston remake, but the far more (publicly) adored and (critically) detested 1976 original.

#01 Rainbow Brite and the Star Stealer

AUDIENCE SCORE: 80%. CRITIC SCORE: 0%. Finally, our biggest distinction: a children's film that earned 80% approval among viewers and 0% among critics. Rainbow Brite is quite confusing.

I have only heard for sure about 3 of those titles, maybe about a 4th, all the others I didn't even knew they exist (or I do not recognoise the English title)

The discussion starter at Twitter were the actual Sinister 2 movie (I think) and American Ultra (that one I am sure about)

At my time critics... here hated e.g. Blade Runner and Star Wars IV, meant for both: as they got released here for the first time

• Like 2

Shocking that middle aged white critics don't like a film directed at middle aged black people (and me, since my mother raised me pretty much the way Madea believes in raising kids.)

• Like 1

Shocking that middle aged white critics don't like a film directed at middle aged black people (and me, since my mother raised me pretty much the way Madea believes in raising kids.)

Simply out of curiousity:

what movie do you think is the worst in relation to your rating and critics rating (I guess a horror gerne movie)?