15 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it:

It's weird. One of the weirder big budget films I've seen in a while. It's also super endearing. Miller does admirably, and Hedlund gives what first seems as a misguided combination of Harrison Ford and Clint Eastwood impression but becomes its own charismatic role. Jackman is hilarious, hamming it up in every scene. The only miscast person is Tiger Lily, what a shock; Mara doesn't even try to justify her dumb casting. The action is creative and bonkers, and the score is Powell's best non-HTTYD score yet. The last 20 minutes are outright awful though; doubling down on the "chosen one" narrative with some dumb BS, though the fight between two flying pirate ships in a fairy realm is sorta cool. I also don't get why it took place in WWII, although I did like the hammy nuns. It's a hodgepodge of mis-matched tones, but it oddly worked for me. Probably wouldn't work for most though. B-

Edited by Blankments
  • Like 1

Eh, I guess I can appreciate it for being different but for as out there as it was at times, it was also strangely forgettable. I guess at least Jackman seemed to be having a good time and Levi Miller made for an OK Peter Pan, but all in all, just never could get into the movie. After seeing it, I can understand why Warner had no idea what to do with it, how to advertise or when it should even open.

**½/*****, (C, 5.2/10, 2/4)

Pan packs some solid heart and Jackman makes for a very entertaining, more than a blur of a villain. 

Still, there are many other problems preventing this thing from being actually good, like the choppy editing or the overreliance on CGI for example. Also, it jumps the shark desperately trying to appeal to its target demo, several times. 

I know I'm not saying much, but I thought Pan was one of the best problematic big-budgeted movies that studios are churning out these days.

It's not a snooze like the majority of them are. 

50/100

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2015 at 6:35 PM, Vanilla said:

Pretty dang good.

Liked where it went.

Well, this is one of those times where I posted to soon after the film. I still overall like it, but not "pretty dang Good".

6/10