ddddeeee

Film scores 2012

Someone wanna explain which parts of BB and TDK JNH did? Because it sounds like all HZ to me. Just saying that losing JNH for TDKR is nowhere near of a change as losing HZ would be. I think their styles would clash anyway. While I love his work, JNH has always seemed like more of a Jerry Goldsmith clone to me(Especially Waterworld and The Fugitive).

James Horner.

Interesting...He used to be my favorite composer there for awhile. Some of my favorite scores are by him. If he just didn't steal from himself so much. Not sure he can top Elfman for a SH film score though. That guy was made to do them.

Avengers is pretty good. JC is still a cut above the rest so far.

Probably should have just quoted these all into one post, But, oh well...Yeah, I was a bit worried about Silvestri being able to pull off an original score, especially after GI Joe and Cap(Great score, but I hate the main theme), but TA was pretty good. Some cues seem ripped from other films though. Especially Subjugation, the beginning of which is a total rip from somewhere, but I just can't place where.

Someone wanna explain which parts of BB and TDK JNH did? Because it sounds like all HZ to me. Just saying that losing JNH for TDKR is nowhere near of a change as losing HZ would be. I think their styles would clash anyway. While I love his work, JNH has always seemed like more of a Jerry Goldsmith clone to me(Especially Waterworld and The Fugitive).

In BB JNH did most, if not all, of the Bruce stuff. The training music, all the piano stuff etc while Zimmer and friends did the action. In TDK JNH only did the Harvey/Two-Face material.

Interesting...He used to be my favorite composer there for awhile. Some of my favorite scores are by him. If he just didn't steal from himself so much. Not sure he can top Elfman for a SH film score though. That guy was made to do them.

I'm quite looking forward to his score actually, it's a nice change of pace. I don't think anything will top the responsibility theme as defining Spider-Man for me but I think Horner can do a great job.

Probably should have just quoted these all into one post, But, oh well...Yeah, I was a bit worried about Silvestri being able to pull off an original score, especially after GI Joe and Cap(Great score, but I hate the main theme), but TA was pretty good. Some cues seem ripped from other films though. Especially Subjugation, the beginning of which is a total rip from somewhere, but I just can't place where.

I don't know how to musically describe it, but the beginning of Subjugation is just going up and scale one consecutive note at a time andthen going down those exact same notes. It's a really basic progression that's been used thousands of times before.

I don't know how to musically describe it, but the beginning of Subjugation is just going up and scale one consecutive note at a time andthen going down those exact same notes. It's a really basic progression that's been used thousands of times before.

That's probably it. I've listened to too many scores over and over. ;)

Regardless, I still like that part and it fits Loki to a tee. I'm a huge Silvestri fan going back to his reworking of the CHiPs theme way back when I was a wee tyke. Yes, I used to watch that show religiously when I was a kid, and yes, I even noticed the theme change(mostly from reruns, I'm sure).

The original:

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtDlu-JQ-1k

The more famous Silvestri "Disco'd" up version:

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=hu4ZOAVidW8

I like where Parker was headed with the original theme but it just didn't match up. Silvestri's had so much more "pop". But, of course my favorite films he composed are BTTF, Predator, The Abyss and some lesser known films like Ricochet and Shattered.

Actually, I remember where I've heard that bit from now. LOTR.I remember reading an interview with Horner once about his start with Roger Corman films. How directors would use scores from other films to set up scenes then expect him to essentially duplicate that cue since they couldn't see the scene without it. He said that is why some of Battle Beyond the Stars sounds like Star Trek: The Motion Picture and why some of Humanoids from the Deep sounds like Jaws. He says this sort of thing still occurs to this day and he's found ways to adapt(This may explain why he "borrows" from his own work a lot). I wonder if Whedon used that as a substitute when he was setting up the beginning of the Subjugation scene then just couldn't hear anything else. Then he implored Silvestri to use a similar cue. Purely speculation on my part, and like you said, could just be a coincidence.

Maybe I don't have as much appreciation for scores but can't really link themes at all. I know Harry Potter's of course, being a Potter fan and hearing the familiar cue upon the title.The only film I can currently think of where I wanted to go download the score was How to Train Your Dragon. I love that. Most films I don't even remember the score. Like the Avengers or John Carter.

People generally assume if you don't remember a score that it's bad. If you don't take notice of a score that's probably a good thing, they're meant to enhance not distract.

Yeah, but that would mean any generic, middling score could be nominated for an Oscar. Most people's idea of "best" are the ones they immediately want to go out and buy after seeing the film.