ddddeeee

Film scores 2012

This year is so promising for film scores.

The Hobbit - Howard Shore returns to the series that earned him two Oscars. I find LOTR to be in a league of it's own as far as scores go and the idea of Shore returning to Middle Earth is mouthwatering.

Brave - Patrick Doyle had one hell of a year this year, and I dare say Brave can topple all four of this years scores. Doyle has dabbled in celtic music here and there with Goblet of Fire, Jig and even a little in Thor, and I cannot wait to hear it in fullblown, blockbuster fashion.

Dark Shadows - Danny Elfman's 14th score for a Tim Burton film, and something like their 35th collaboration in total. The original Dark Shadows had a tone unlike anything I've ever seen and based on the stills Burton has captured that perfectly, curious to how Elfman will tackle it. Expecting some gorgeous, gothic goodness.

Frankenweenie - Elfman's 15th score for a Tim Burton film. Given that the movie is in black and white I'm hoping for Elfman to go on full old fashioned mode, which he's never done before.

John Carter - I've found Giacchino's work outside of Lost to be varying degrees of underwhelming. But the three tracks that are already available are excellent, 'Dejah's Theme' is stunning.

The Hunger Games - I was much more excited for this score when Elfman was in charge. JNH can write stunning music, but he can also write some crap. Overall the movie has ridiculous potential for a fantastic score, and JNH can nail it if he's on form.

Honourable mentions to Skyfall by Thomas Newman who is finally leaving his comfort zone, Stoker by Philip Glass who couldn't write a bad score if his life depended on it and Lincoln by the always reliable John Williams.

What are you looking forward to?

Edited by ddddeeee

SO glad to see Glass getting back into scoring films. I need another score like the Hours for my library. I'm looking forward to seeing what Zimmer does with TDKR and JNH with the Hunger Games. If he delivers a Village-level score I would be extremely happy.

• Founder / Operator

Hobbit, TDKR, Lincoln, Brave, Dark Shadows, Skyfall, John Carter ... immediately come to mind.Should be a great year for film scores. I'm even curious to hear what comes out of The Avengers, though my expectations aren't as high for it as these others.

And I've been wondering, does Tarantino ever actually get an original score? It seems like he usually just uses random songs and then takes music from that one composer's catalogue.

No, Tarantino always uses previously existing material to use with his films to fit the mood. 90% of the time it's a great fit.

Interesting results from the FSM poll regarding 2012 film scores.The Hobbit and Lincoln are neck and neck at the top with over 100 votes, while Skyfall is in third place and is followed by TDKR, Dark Shadows, and TASM. John Carter and TA are the only other two making any kind of impression.

^ that sounds pretty good, I love what Giacchino composed on JC, though it does not top UP score and some tunes in Super 8 and Cars 2 , which were catchyI wanna hear Zimmer (Bane chant is awesome), Doyle, Shore