Dementeleus

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 5:51 AM, JamesCameronScholar said:

I hadn't considered this, but I think you're right. I think Bay could really thrive given the right material. 

I have on idea why he is given so much flack around here, he consistently does great at the box office, and isn't that what we're supposed to be about? 

If people want to discuss weak directors who can't make serious bank like Tarantino, they should be looking to other forums, no? 

I find your idea that "Big Box Office meand a Great Director" to be stupid and foolish/

I don't like everything that Tatantino does, but as filmmaker he is much more creative and interesting then James Cameron.

16 hours ago, DMan7 said:

I think with Bay possibly doing Lobo and those Homecoming writers directing Flashpoint, WB/DC really hasn't learnt anything about putting the right talent behind the camera for these DC movies. They were able to do so quite well with the Harry Potter movies as all 8 of those movies were drama free and held a high fresh RT critics score. I think WB/DC today is no different than back when they did movies like Steel, Catwoman, Jonah Hex and Green Lantern, they have no plan for these DC movies and are just randomly throwing out movies based of very little knowledge or what the competition is doing. They shouldn't be looking to do spinoff movies like Joker / Harley Quinn or even Nightwing / Batgirl when there are endless amount of main character titles they can pull from for movies. Its not like they are Sony or FOX who only has 1 or 2 comic book movies where if they wanted to do more would require them to do spinoffs like Wolverine, Deadpool or Venom.

I think DC wants a Lobo movie to be their answer to "Deadpool".

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 10:06 AM, DMan7 said:

So are we roasting James Cameron fanboys in here or what?

When the Cameron fanboys imply you can judge a movie's artistic worth by how much money it's makes,they deserve to be roasted.

4 minutes ago, dudalb said:

When the Cameron fanboys imply you can judge a movie's artistic worth by how much money it's makes,they deserve to be roasted.

It's weird I don't feel "roasted". I don't know about JSC but all I've said (in other threads) is that the only objective measure we have is dollars grossed (which is true), you're the one who added the artistic worth bit.

Also calling Tarantino more creative and interesting than Jim? To me that means you don't really know much about him and are basing your opinion solely off Avatar's story, which you think is a just copied from Pocohontas, how uncreative!

4 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

It's weird I don't feel "roasted". I don't know about JSC but all I've said (in other threads) is that the only objective measure we have is dollars grossed (which is true), you're the one who added the artistic worth bit.

Also calling Tarantino more creative and interesting than Jim? To me that means you don't really know much about him and are basing your opinion solely off Avatar's story, which you think is a just copied from Pocohontas, how uncreative!

It's not an opinion. It's an objective fact. Hollywood has been telling that type story for decades. Westerns had plenty of "white man take over to run railroad through holy ground" stories that just reflected actual events. 

Avatar does not have an original story. If you think it does the joke is on you. 

On 2/11/2018 at 8:51 AM, JamesCameronScholar said:

I hadn't considered this, but I think you're right. I think Bay could really thrive given the right material. 

I have on idea why he is given so much flack around here, he consistently does great at the box office, and isn't that what we're supposed to be about? 

If people want to discuss weak directors who can't make serious bank like Tarantino, they should be looking to other forums, no? 

I imagine you are only trolling, but look at Bay non transformer track record:

Armageddon 553.7
Pearl Harbor 449.2
The Rock 335.1
The Island 162.9
Bad Boys 141.4
Pain and Gain 86.2
13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi 69.4
Average 256.84

vs Tarantino

Django Unchained 425.4
Inglourious Basterds 321.5
Pulp Fiction 213.9
Kill Bill Vol. 1 180.9
The Hateful Eight 155.8
Grindhouse 25.4
Average 220.48

Tarantino made serious bank many many time, Pulp Fiction is one of the biggest money maker ever, Tarantino has one of the best track record at the box office ever and much more constant, he does not have has many movie failing at doubling their budget or not reaching 100m like The Island, Benghazy, Pain&Gain

6 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I imagine you are only trolling, but look at Bay non transformer track record:

Armageddon 553.7
Pearl Harbor 449.2
The Rock 335.1
The Island 162.9
Bad Boys 141.4
Pain and Gain 86.2
13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi 69.4
Average 256.84

vs Tarantino

Django Unchained 425.4
Inglourious Basterds 321.5
Pulp Fiction 213.9
Kill Bill Vol. 1 180.9
The Hateful Eight 155.8
Grindhouse 25.4
Average 220.48

Tarantino made serious bank many many time, Pulp Fiction is one of the biggest money maker ever, Tarantino has one of the best track record at the box office ever and much more constant, he does not have has many movie failing at doubling their budget or not reaching 100m like The Island, Benghazy, Pain&Gain

Why do you act like the rest of the world doesn't exist?

Sorry I didn't read the first line and just skimmed through the numbers, apologies on my part. I didn't see the transformers big grosses so assumed you were listing their domestics.

Removing Transformers? Are you sure you aren't the one trolling.

Edited by IronJimbo

3 minutes ago, Captain Craig said:

It's not an opinion. It's an objective fact. Hollywood has been telling that type story for decades. Westerns had plenty of "white man take over to run railroad through holy ground" stories that just reflected actual events. 

Avatar does not have an original story. If you think it does the joke is on you. 

On the contrary I think no story is original, it's all derived from something. Also do you know what an objective fact is?

That's all besides the point, I'm talking about Jim being more creative and interesting than Quentin here.

8 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

I think he ignored Jim on purpose, or perhaps the lack of knowledge is the reason why we see so many Star Wars Avatar's and few Jim ones.

Or that everyone when into great length to not use CGI in the mid 90s ?

26 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Removing Transformers? Are you sure you aren't the one trolling.

It is quite different to achieve box office success in the established franchise model.

Both Bay and Tarantino achieved great commercial success outside of it, it is to show that Tarantino is not far from Bay on that point.

World fan base by market for both director:

Bay, Michael Awareness Total Popularity Total Score
Australia 0.30 0.39 0.12
France 0.31 0.30 0.09
Germany 0.34 0.39 0.13
Italy 0.34 0.44 0.15
Japan 0.36 0.30 0.11
Mexico 0.36 0.50 0.18
Spain 0.27 0.30 0.08
UK 0.37 0.38 0.14
Int'l Average 0.33 0.38 0.12

Tarantino, Quentin Awareness Total Popularity Total  
Australia 0.78 0.51 0.39
Brazil 0.73 0.68 0.50
France 0.89 0.53 0.47
Germany 0.76 0.56 0.43
Italy 0.91 0.70 0.64
Japan 0.66 0.29 0.19
Mexico 0.74 0.68 0.50
Spain 0.89 0.63 0.56
UK 0.87 0.54 0.47
Int'l Average 0.80 0.57 0.46

Tarantino is quite the bigger deal in most market, except for Spielberg and those who went in front of the camera a lot he is pretty up there in the most well known/liked movie director in the world.

15 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Or that everyone when into great length to not use CGI in the mid 90s ?

Cameron is cutting edge on film technology, but if he wants to make "Avatar" the next Star Wars , he is going to have do much better in the story and characters department then he did that three shour tech demo film that was "Avatar".

4 minutes ago, Barnack said:

It is quite different to achieve box office success in the established franchise model.

Both Bay and Tarantino achieved great commercial success outside of it, it is to show that Tarantino is not far from Bay on that point.

World fan base by market for both director:

Bay, Michael Awareness Total Popularity Total Score
Australia 0.30 0.39 0.12
France 0.31 0.30 0.09
Germany 0.34 0.39 0.13
Italy 0.34 0.44 0.15
Japan 0.36 0.30 0.11
Mexico 0.36 0.50 0.18
Spain 0.27 0.30 0.08
UK 0.37 0.38 0.14
Int'l Average 0.33 0.38 0.12

Tarantino, Quentin Awareness Total Popularity Total  
Australia 0.78 0.51 0.39
Brazil 0.73 0.68 0.50
France 0.89 0.53 0.47
Germany 0.76 0.56 0.43
Italy 0.91 0.70 0.64
Japan 0.66 0.29 0.19
Mexico 0.74 0.68 0.50
Spain 0.89 0.63 0.56
UK 0.87 0.54 0.47
Int'l Average 0.80 0.57 0.46

Tarantino is quite the bigger deal in most market, except for Spielberg and those who went in front of the camera a lot he is pretty up there in the most well known/liked movie director in the world.

Waiting for James Cameron Scholar to bad mouth Martin Scorsese next.......

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

Also do you know what an objective fact is?

I do, it's why I used the phrase. Objectively and through observation of Hollywood films the story trait in Avatar is factually not unique. There is no subjectivity at play here, no emotions involved, nothing to interpret.

:redcapes:

8 minutes ago, Captain Craig said:

I do, it's why I used the phrase. Objectively and through observation of Hollywood films the story trait in Avatar is factually not unique. There is no subjectivity at play here, no emotions involved, nothing to interpret.

:redcapes:

You said it's an objective fact that Avatar is copied from Pocahontas. Firstly can you prove Cameron has even watched Pocohontas, then if you can do that you now need to prove he copied his work from Pocahontas.

Sadly you can't do that.

Edited by IronJimbo