Impact

2012 Best Picture Thread

Move to one of them and you'll get all the weather coverage you desire! If you come to NY now, you can hear about the Frankenstorm 24/7. ;)

I could careless about the weather. Weather Channel does a pretty good at doing the weather. But Fox/NBC/ABC/CNN do a shitty job with the weather

How many movies have opened in other cities first? I think if a movie opened in Chicago/Houston/Boston/Toronto San Fransisco it still have a huge theater average.

Not nearly as impressive, and studios don't like that. You do realise how many people NY has right? About 4-5 times Toronto's population, 3 times as many as Chicago, and ... The metro area of NY contains something like over 20 million people, that's more than the population of most states, and 66% of the population of Canada.

Not nearly as impressive, and studios don't like that. You do realise how many people NY has right? About 4-5 times Toronto's population, 3 times as many as Chicago, and ... The metro area of NY contains something like over 20 million people, that's more than the population of most states, and 66% of the population of Canada.

I know that but if it is one theater or two theater in the city I am sure other large cities would be able to sell out the movie.

I know that but if it is one theater or two theater in the city I am sure other large cities would be able to sell out the movie.

You can't built excitement that way, if people who normally see these movies see a movie did something like 150 grand a theatre, they're much more likely to go see that movie than something say like Perks which did 20 grand I think.

You can't built excitement that way, if people who normally see these movies see a movie did something like 150 grand a theatre, they're much more likely to go see that movie than something say like Perks which did 20 grand I think.

I would pay a lot to see a movie in advance.

I would pay a lot to see a movie in advance.

I think a lot of people think they're overpaying for movie tickets. I don't mind because the tickets in Vancouver are cheaper than London's, but I doubt it'd work if they charged more for tickets. The gentle platform rollout is designed so that movies gradually build steam as they go along, from NY/LA, to the second tier cities, and then third tier cities, after which they go through one or two more expansions, or directly go to a wide opening. The Master's biggest problem was the The Weinstein's pushed it too hard, and they didn't give it enough time to gather steam in the second tier, and third tier expansions where the arthouse market is big enough to sustain something that's quite inaccessible tot he general public before letting it go wide.

I suppose it depends on your financial situation and your interest level in movies. I personally don't mind shelling on a twenty for a movie if need be but a lot of people are balking at the average big city price of about a tenner.

I think it's going to be the seven in Dexter's post plus Moonrise Kingdom.BTW, Hyde Park got received pretty coldly in Toronto so it's not in contention here.

Thank God, it looked like shit.Moonrise Kingdom could get in. What about Hitchcock has that been screened yet?.

Moonrise Kingdom could get in. What about Hitchcock has that been screened yet?.

It's probably too crowded for Moonrise to get in, and Hitchcock is currently in my predictions as the character driven movie tested at a 92% with the General Public, which is pretty amazing.