Impact

2012 Best Picture Thread

Yeesh, yeah. Those Hugo trailers were so bad that even after the great reviews and the fact it had picked up some critics awards I still refused to predict the movie, I don't think I predicted it until I actually saw it.

Yep. I thought it was some odd kids sci-fi/fantasy. (They really went off on that dang robot too much in the trailers, which was not even a robot)

Yep. I thought it was some odd kids sci-fi/fantasy. (They really went off on that dang robot too much in the trailers, which was not even a robot)

Also it was a mistake to advertise Scorsese name for box office reasons-parents were not about to take there kids to a film by him and his audience wouldn't quite go see it either. So yeah...

I don't think they should've aimed the marketing at kids in the first place. Since it ultimately becomes a movie about film restoration (a subject I don't think kids care too much about) should've concentrated on Ben Kingsley character more in marketing, but it is a very hard film to market, I think.

I be more amazed if someone predicted the Artist would win back in Summer 2011 ;)

Not quite. I had Artist to win back in September 2011. Though my year in advance predictions was for J.Edgar, which bombed epicly. :lol: Last year was really good for me. I missed Dragon Tattoo, and 2 shorts, which was pretty good.

I'll just point out that the LES MIZ screening was under perfect circumstances... in NY with big time theatrical and Broadway fans. Is it any wonder that it went over like gangbusters?

Should get more reactions over weekend. More screenings coming.

I'll just point out that the LES MIZ screening was under perfect circumstances... in NY with big time theatrical and Broadway fans. Is it any wonder that it went over like gangbusters?

That is like whenever someone says "Film had a great reactoin at comic con" when it was based off of a comic book film.

I'm not worried for the LA screenings. Tapley loved it and he's a cynic, it should play very well tomorrow as well. Guess we'll find out for real in about 16-20 hours. Oh and the Crone's going tomorrow, gonna be hilarious to see her meltdown when the audience gives Les Mis an ovation. :lol:

I'm not worried for the LA screenings. Tapley loved it and he's a cynic, it should play very well tomorrow as well. Guess we'll find out for real in about 16-20 hours. Oh and the Crone's going tomorrow, gonna be hilarious to see her meltdown when the audience gives Les Mis an ovation. :lol:

Is she anti-MIZ? I haven't been following these things...

Is she anti-MIZ? I haven't been following these things...

She's still butthurt from Fincher loosing. :lol: She's more anti-hooper than anything. Plus she's on the Lincoln train like JackO and a few other members are, gonna be so glorious to see her meltdown when Les Mis turns out victorious. :D:excited:
  • Like 1

She's still butthurt from Fincher loosing. :lol: She's more anti-hooper than anything. Plus she's on the Lincoln train like JackO and a few other members are, gonna be so glorious to see her meltdown when Les Mis turns out victorious. :D:excited:

Don't count Lincoln out, he's an American icon, so I think some people may gravitate towards the film based on that.

Don't count Lincoln out, he's an American icon, so I think some people may gravitate towards the film based on that.

If Les Mis based on the early reactions is like the monumental 700 pound Gorilla that people say it is, Lincolm stands no chance. BD could still see an Affleck victory though even if Les Mis wins BP and Sweeps, just might. Edited by riczhang

If Les Mis based on the early reactions is like the monumental 700 pound Gorilla that people say it is, Lincoln stands no chance.

I think you're being a little too sure a little too early. Both movies will get double-digits nominations. Lincoln is on its way to a huge gross. Let's wait till the hyperventilating stops ;)

I think you're being a little too sure a little too early. Both movies will get double-digits nominations. Lincoln is on its way to a huge gross. Let's wait till the hyperventilating stops ;)

I'm just saying that a monster-epic will trump a bio-pic anyday. Les Mis is reminiscent of the epics that they used to award but haven't recently because they're just not made that often anymore.And I know it's a bit early to call it, but this is the first contender I've called correctly a year in advance. Everything else I thought would do win a year out has failed in the most spectacular fashion, and I intend to stay on the Les Mis ship until the very end. ;) Hopefully this and August: Osage County next year will change my track record for the better. :lol: Edited by riczhang