CJohn

Friday Numbers (U4: 9.8M; RT: 6.2M; EL&IC: 3.2M; Haywire: 3M; Contraband:- 3.7M)

I don't think Lucas is too worried about how much he makes off of Red Tails. I think he just wanted to get the movie made and out there because it was a story that he always wanted to tell.I don't think it really matters how well it does box office wise. Whatever amount he stands to lose he more than made up for with the recent release of the Star Wars saga on Blu-ray. The mans a billionaire! He'll be ok. :)

That's good to know but i'm sure it would be nice if it could make it's budget back.

I for one love seeing classics on the big screen again. There's nothing like a movie theater to watch a film and there's absolutely nothing wrong with giving people a chance to do that with some older favorites. As far as unoriginiality, these 3D re-releases really have nothing to do with the studios not having new ideas. For example, this one was a fairly last minute call by Disney after TLK's success, and it's not like BATB3D wasted any creative resources that might have prevented Disney from putting some other new movie out instead. That would be called a remake, and I'll take these 3D re-releases over most of the crappy remakes anyday. Maybe you could call these things cash grabs, sure, but they really have nothing to do with the lack of ideas in hollywood.And speak for yourself on the "inherently bad 3D", since both TLK and BATB shocked me with how well the 3D worked. Speaking of things inherent, animation inherently lends itself to 3D technology irregardless of the style of animation. So I especially welcome these 3D animated re-releases because not only are they back on the big screen, there is something new added to them as well. Now Titanic and TPM are the ones I would be very skeptical about 3D adding anything, since it only ever has in a handful of live action films to date.

Great post. Wish they would release old classics all the time. I would go to all of them in the theatre. Just saw Beauty and the Beast and it was great.