CJohn

Friday Numbers (U4: 9.8M; RT: 6.2M; EL&IC: 3.2M; Haywire: 3M; Contraband:- 3.7M)

Once again, why is opening in the range of the first movie despite inflation, 3D and IMAX a good thing? I mean, isn`t it supposed to increase or something?

At this point, a crappy and tired B-movie franchise like Underworld should be decreasing. Despite inflation and all that, if it's still opening in the range of the other films or slightly better I'd say that's a good thing.

At this point, a crappy and tired B-movie franchise like Underworld should be decreasing. Despite inflation and all that, if it's still opening in the range of the other films or slightly better

Thanks to inflation, IMAX, 3D and embarrassing 83 minute running time.Not because demand increased. Edited by fishnets

Thanks to inflation, IMAX, 3D and embarrassing 83 minute running time.Not because demand increased.

So it retained most of its audience. What's wrong with that? Did you expect it to gain fans? I'd wait to see the 3D split before saying it saved the film too. People choose 2D more often these days.

• Founder / Operator

This will likely be the lowest opening weekend for the Underworld franchise in terms of ticket sales.If it can hold out around $23 million, that only puts it about $800k ahead of Rise of the Lycans adjusted (which didn't have IMAX or 3D).Not too bad of a drop when considering that the third film surely put off some of the fans (and this new one wasn't marketed as heavily as Evolution was, in my opinion).That being said, its still 30%+ off from Evolution's opening weekend ticket sales. I don't think there was any reason to expect it to come close, though.

Edited by ShawnMR

Not surprised at Haywire's cinescore. The (infrequent) fight scenes were great but the plot was needlessly convoluted, the funk soundtrack oppressive and the actors were wasted. It's just about watchable but totally forgettable.

Edited by Hatebox

• Founder / Operator

Really? The admissions talk? Then why don't you people factor in the overall drop in admissions in recent years in your informed assessments?$24M is a good opening for Underworld.

"Admissions talk" is a factual and relevant barometer of overall market performance when considered in the proper context (as I've noted on many occasions). Seeing as how fishnet is the only person (I think) downplaying its number to the extent that you imply, wasn't this kind of a reactionary response? Edited by ShawnMR

• Founder / Operator

And for the record:Underworld 4 looks to account for about 21-23% of this weekend's top 12 gross (based on estimates).Underworld 3 accounted for ~ 16% without 3D or IMAX (or Kate Beckinsale).Underworld 2 accounted for ~ 29% without 3D or IMAX.

Edited by ShawnMR