baumer

Racism and the Oscars thread

As I said in the other thread:

IMHO the problem isn't so much the lack of nominations this year in particular but the lack of diversity among the Hollywood elite in general. That is only to some degree within the sphere of the Academy (though they have something to do with it, of course). A forced quota (either an actual quota or one forced on them by the media or others) will not help, though. The glass ceilings for many groups of people have to crack for true change to happen.

• Like 3

It was only 2 years ago the 12AS won best picture and its black supporting actress went away with an Oscar too. Its clear the Academy aren't racist, Literally one year later when no black people were nominated the racist card was pulled out and now its being done again. Its a joke. Id understand if there were some obvious amazing performances this year from black people but there wasn't. Its just a fucking award, people should stop caring so much about what a bunch of old out of touch pretentious ----s think of the films released that year when we all know the awards are practically brought anyway.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

I wish someone would just step out and say the reality: there are no nominees because there were no movies and that happens because studios and producers refuse to give big/strong roles to black people. 

• Like 5

“Why classify people? These days everyone is more or less accepted,” Rampling said. “People will always say: ‘Him, he’s less handsome’; ‘Him, he’s too black’; ‘He is too white’ … someone will always be saying ‘You are too’ (this or that) … But do we have to take from this that there should be lots of minorities everywhere?”

Tbh, she is saying some truths and the trades are blowing it out of proportion with those catchy headlines. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Whats going on?

5 minutes ago, CJohn said:

What is happening?

From what I gather she believes that the oscar boycott is "racist against whites". If she thinks that a boycott calling for Hollywood to give chances on ethnically diverse actors and filmmakers is 'racist against whites' then I don't know what it. 

4 minutes ago, AJG said:

From what I gather she believes that the oscar boycott is "racist against whites". If she thinks that a boycott calling for Hollywood to give chances on ethnically diverse actors and filmmakers is 'racist against whites' then I don't know what it. 

She says that but it is so out of context that it is insane. She also says people shouldn't be categorized by being black or white and everyone is the same.

She is right, you know?

Well, I think the main problem is when she said the Oscar boycott is racist against whites. Kinda devalues her entire point. Anyways, loving how super-liberal film industry/Hollywood is engaging in a race war over a stupid fucking awards show.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CJohn said:

She says that but it is so out of context that it is insane. She also says people shouldn't be categorized by being black or white and everyone is the same.

Well she just learned a valuable lesson about the importance of media training and a good publicist. I'd love to be a fly on the wall when she sees her phone when she wakes up.

Edited by AJG

Hell, this is probably all staged. You're telling me they randomly chose Chris Rock to host this year? Come on now. It's must-see TV.

Edit- I should note this is sarcasm. But it is a little suspicious they got Rock to host this year. He's going to tear into this like there's no tomorrow.

Edited by Jayhawk
  • Like 1

Also, lets not forget there were no contenders this year. In past the Academy has given awards to black people. Didn't Lupita won in the same year Chiwetel was also one of the strongest contenders in the Best Actor race? 

They should be all blaming the studios and executives!!! This is pure nonsense.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AJG said:

Well she just learned a valuable lesson about the importance of media training and a good publicist. I'd love to be a fly on the wall when she sees her phone when she wakes up.

Yes, it is sad how media is nowadays. 

But she said a lot of right stuff that will get overshadowed by a stupid phrase being quoted out of context. 

Again, no black nominees this year because none were really in the race. Last year David Oyelowo deserved to be nominated but unfortunately he was snubbed. But so are many others that are not black :lol: Will Smith and her stupid wife should just stfu. Smith was nominated twice in the past. Her wife wanted what? To be nominated for MMXXL?

People should be pointing fingers at studios and executives but of course they would be marked and it would be harder to get a job so instead they will point fingers at the easy target: a stupid awards show :rofl: 

• Like 3

In past the Academy has given awards to black people.

Lmfao.

Because black people are the only people of color.

Either way, that's a stupid thing to say. Because the number of nominees and winners is so disproportionate to whites.

So, take a few seats.

DKsYAFJ.gif

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Rey said:

Lmfao.

Because black people are the only people of color.

Either way, that's a stupid thing to say. Because the number of nominees and winners is so disproportionate to whites.

So, take a few seats.

DKsYAFJ.gif

No, I am right. WTF did you want them to do? Nominate the entire cast of fucking SOC to fill the spots?! C'mon, you know they should be all pointing fingers at studios and executives but of course they are not. 

• Like 1

Just now, grim22 said:

CZVf-2IUsAAGlYx.jpg

But of course this got overshadowed and everyone is discussing nonsense about the Oscars. Fuck all of those who are calling for a boycott and blaming the Academy tbh. They are not right. Gain some balls and blame studios and executives. Oh, but of course you won't do that because they pay you to star in their movies, whatever they are, not the Academy.

7 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Also, lets not forget there were no contenders this year. In past the Academy has given awards to black people. Didn't Lupita won in the same year Chiwetel was also one of the strongest contenders in the Best Actor race? 

They should be all blaming the studios and executives!!! This is pure nonsense.

Everyone was. It was all about what the nominations told us about Hollywood rather than just the nominations themselves. But then Will Smiths wife spun it to be about the academy and the nominations just because her husband didn't get nominated for his BS performance, and the media ran with it. They completely missed the point, made the story only about black people when it was about everybody, and turned the whole thing into a joke.

Just now, AJG said:

Everyone was. It was all about what the nominations told us about Hollywood rather than just the nominations themselves. But then Will Smiths wife spun it to be about the academy and the nominations just because her husband didn't get nominated for his BS performance, and the media ran with it. They completely missed the point, made the story only about black people when it was about everybody, and turned the whole thing into a joke.

You have got to be kidding me... What did Spike Lee said? 

6 minutes ago, CJohn said:

No, I am right. WTF did you want them to do? Nominate the entire cast of fucking SOC to fill the spots?! C'mon, you know they should be all pointing fingers at studios and executives but of course they are not. 

Lmfao, not in that case.

I see your point, but your wording is all off, sis.

I know they should do that. I've said it a MILLION times that it's because the films and roles are simply not there for people of color.

Edited by Rey