terrestrial

Wednesday's Revenant 1.58 | SW7 1.32 | DirtyGrandpa 956k | 13h 911k | RA2 848k | Boy 606k | 5thWave 602k | BigShort 400k | DH 359k | Brooklyn 284k | chart p.1

2 hours ago, nilephelan said:

Not sure if that holds, but it looks like a gigantic bomb.  

I am afraid too, I really hoped for a small success at least (as I do always anyway)

The-Numbers WE prediction:

Kung Fu Panda 3 the only real competition is from last year, when American Sniper earned $30.66 million. Kung Fu Panda 3 should top that by about $20 million = ~ $50m / $50m+

Additionally, no other film earned more than $10 million last year, while this year there could be five films in the top five reaching that mark...

The Revenant will get pushed well back into second place with just under $11 million...

Star Wars 7 should be close behind with just over $10 million

The Finest Hours... will open with just under $10 million. ... that cost $85 million to make.

Fifty Shades of Black... over $8 million

Jane Got a Gun...  is unlikely to reach the top ten and it would only need a $6 million opening to get there. I'm going with an opening weekend of $4 million.

8 hours ago, JonathanLB said:

The theater drops don't make sense on any level whatsoever. First of all, it's 2nd at the box office, and 1st on Sunday, so there's no reason for it to lose even one theater let alone 800, let alone the 800 that came before.

Second, is the rest of the U.S. like the Twilight Zone or something? In Portland, we have maybe 25 metro theaters or so, and I check them all. As of tomorrow it has not lost ONE, not a single theater. Not even the 6-plex Downtown that usually throws movies out within a month tops. Even they're keeping TFA. It has definitely lost screens, but no theaters.

Furthermore, Portland has 2 IMAX screens and as I posted on here earlier this week, TFA kept them both, including my local theater -- so excited, as I'll be seeing it in IMAX for the next week. I'm at 23 viewings after today. Portland METRO area has 3 IMAX theaters and it did lose the one across the river in Vancouver, WA, to Finest Hours. But it looks like 190 IMAX screens (per Box Office Mojo) went to Finest Hours and that would leave, what, 110 for TFA? In my area though it kept 2/3 of them and in most other areas appears to have lost 2/3. I guess Portland is an "over perform" market for TFA, but I still don't understand how it has lost more than a couple of theaters nationwide.

I can understand if it was playing 4,100 theaters and of those, maybe 300 of them are 3-plexes or less and they ditched TFA for the first big movie that wasn't Star Wars, I guess, or something. But that doesn't account for losing 1,600 theaters completely. WHAT are they playing instead?! Were these just massively underperforming markets or something?! It makes literally no sense to me since my actual experience is completely the opposite -- nobody has gotten rid of Star Wars yet.

In fact, I will go a step further than that. EVERY THEATER in Portland has Star Wars on a full screen. Nobody has it below one screen yet. 

Like I was saying on the other page, it's mostly smaller theaters getting rid of it. They can't get rid of any of last weekend's releases yet.

5 hours ago, terrestrial said:

I am afraid too, I really hoped for a small success at least (as I do always anyway)

The-Numbers WE prediction:

How on earth are they expecting Jane to open to $4M when its only in ~400 theaters and is getting bad reviews to boot?

Edit - Ack! Up to 1210 for Jane. Yesterday it was 410. Maybe it will get $4-6M after all, though it *still* only has 4 reviews at RT.

Edited by Wrath
  • Like 1