Ezen Baklattan

The 4th Annual BOX OFFICE THEORY Awards: Official Ceremony

BOFFY IV  

26 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think will win Best Picture?

• The Big Short
    • Bridge of Spies
    • Creed
    • Ex Machina
    • Inside Out
    • Mad Max: Fury Road
    • The Martian
    • Room
    • Spotlight
    • Star Wars: The Force Awakens
  2. 2. How angry will CJohn be with these awards?

• Absolutely
    • Extremely
    • Intensely
    • Profusely
    • Quite a lot

While Jack Nevada lets it all out, we have a big award next: Best Actor in a feature film.

Steve Carell

THE BIG SHORT

Matt Damon

THE MARTIAN

Michael Fassbender

STEVE JOBS

Michael B. Jordan

CREED

Jacob Tremblay

ROOM

Who will join the ranks of Joaquin Phoenix, Leonardo DiCaprio, and Ralph Fiennes?

ap_film_review-creed_77900086.jpg?w=1000

giphy.gif

• Like 12

3 minutes ago, Spaghetti said:

And likewise, Adapted Screenplay.

The Big Short

ADAM MCKAY, CHARLES RANDOLPH

Mad Max: Fury Road

GEORGE MILLER, BRENDAN MCCARTHY, NICK LATHOURIS

The Martian

DREW GODDARD

Room

EMMA DONOGHUE

Steve Jobs

AARON SORKIN

The BOFFY goes to...(Prepare to get mad)....

Hidden Content

giphy.gif

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Spaghetti said:

While Jack Nevada lets it all out, we have a big award next: Best Actor in a feature film.

Steve Carell

THE BIG SHORT

Matt Damon

THE MARTIAN

Michael Fassbender

STEVE JOBS

Michael B. Jordan

CREED

Jacob Tremblay

ROOM

Who will join the ranks of Joaquin Phoenix, Leonardo DiCaprio, and Ralph Fiennes?

Hidden Content

#Boffyssodiverse

• Like 1

Just now, The Panda said:

In no world (or even planet named Mars) is The Martian a worthy best screenplay winner. 

I hope Jason Bourne and Alien: Covenant bomb for that disgrace of a film.

Panda, quick question: you do realize it showed up on your top 15 of the year list? :ph34r:

And now, our second to last write-up.

THE BIG SHORT

bgs-01810r2.0.jpg

Screen_Shot_2015-12-14_at_5.17.32_PM_i24

“There are many films that pop up around Oscar season that are hailed as an “important viewing”, and very rarely is that term justified.  Usually when I hear about these films I roll my eyes and scoff a little, because it’s typically a case of the filmmakers being too egotistical about their film.  The Big Short is an exception to this case, not that it takes itself over-serious, or that when you’re watching it you feel like you are watching something important, but because The Big Short boldly attempts to explain an all too important issue in America today that most Americans would rather plug their ears and not pay attention to.  It’s a complicated issue, filled with financial jargon, and one hard to gain a grasp on, but the Big Short thrives at removing these curtains the Big Banks have hidden behind and to expose their fraud that led to the 2008 Economic Collapse to the viewers in spectacular and entertaining fashion.

The Big Short is a dramatic narrative that feels as truthful and real as a documentary creeping into the lives of individuals who placed a Short (a bet) against the big banks.  It feels like an outrageous comedy, meant to poke fun and satire against the workers on Wall Street and at the Banks in a way that makes Jordan Belfort seem like a small-fry in comparison.  It feels like a horror movie that ends in a harrowing way, one that sucks the life out of you when you realize just how much awful truth the film managed to let down on you, and how despite the devastating consequences of the films events, how nothing was done to stop it from happening again.  The Big Short is pieced together brilliantly to grab your attention through the quirky and fun humor, inform you and make you enjoy being informed, and then let down the conclusion and leave even the people most knowledgeable (or unknowledgeable and uncaring about) the events shocked at the results and how we were blind when the obvious was right in front of our faces.

The Big Short is a rare film, not necessarily that it was revolutionary in any filmmaking techniques, or featured a performance so powerful you forgot it was an actor behind the character, or that it blew you away by the artistic mastery of wide natural lighting shots of Leonardo DiCaprio grunting in the wild while getting raped by a bear.  While, yes, the Big Short is undeniably quality in its technical aspects, what makes it rare is that it has a subject material told with passion.  The script, the performances, McKay’s direction, are all filled with a passionate rage in a raw but refined way that results in the audience feeling the same.  McKay truly has something to say, and he uses his talents to say it, and say it in a way that makes everyone else care.  There are few cases where I would classify a film as an essential viewing because of its subject matter, but because of how well The Big Short is handled, it is absolutely the essential and most important film to see of the last few years.”

-Panda

"It's kinda funny. I actually didn't vote for Big Short in any category. Yet, here I am, doing a write-up for it. Why? Well, to be honest, The Big Short isn't the type of movie I fall in love with. I love movies that make me feel emotions of joy or sadness. The Big Short only gets one thing from me, plot-wise: anger. And that's what Adam McKay is going for. He wants you to watch The Big Short and get pissed that this happened and is still happening. And he completely nails it.

That said, I do get some joy from it. On a technical level, this movie is really, really fun. The editing is eclectic and takes cues from documentary montages. The use of multiple sources in the montages adds to the true splendor of the film, and nonstop assault of the senses take place during these. The documentary style extends to the cinematography, which feels like The Office in humorous zooms and going in and out of focus on purpose. Those fourth wall breaks too. The most impressive thing the film does is with its three "Here's a celebrity to explain something complicated." I laughed throughout all of these just because of the sheer audacity of their existence, but despite laughing through them, I retained all their lessons. It matches the brilliance of the script, which condenses one really difficult crisis into two hours of bliss.

The cast is astounding. Carell breaks new ground in his dramatic acting, playing a much more subtle character than John du Pont. This is slightly amusing though, as Mark Baum still isn't a subtle character, but the tics Carell gives him are really enjoyable and you buy into him. Christian Bale is alright and probably the film's most subtle performance... which is probably why I think it's the weakest part of the film. The Big Short isn't subtle. It's mad and loud. That's why I love Ryan Gosling in it. His shit-eating grin and condescending wall-breaks make him the perfect guide to this wacky world that's sadly quite real. The rest of the cast is good too, but if I kept on naming actors, it would significantly make this write-up double the length.

All in all, The Big Short is a spectacular condemnation of the people on Wall Street. Although it's not my favorite of the year (not even in my top 3 to be honest), it's easily the most important film I saw from 2015. It's brash, incendiary, and a fantastic choice to be considered for multiple honors this year.“

-Blankments

• Like 6