kayumanggi

THE HITMAN'S BODYGUARD | 08.18.17 | trailer 1 on page 1

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

Was Green Lantern OW even good ? A 200+ million budget giant superheros movie supposed to start the DECU missing the top 10 OW of the year ? 12m below Thor, below First class, below planet of the apes. Look average to me.

Co-starring Bullock or Denzel, I would imagine the industry saw those 2 being mostly responsible for those great OW numbers.

Deadpool, total unknown open popular superheroes movies in the 9 figures these days... but it would be a good competition to that title for sure.

But we're not talking about any of this stuff.  You said best opening of RR career.  Obviously, it's not.

And for the record, Denzel has had one movie open higher than Safe House and than was American Gangster....so I think RR can take some credit for the opening.

7 minutes ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

But we're not talking about any of this stuff.  You said best opening of RR career.  Obviously, it's not.

I did not say highest number OW number (would not have added ? at the end, would just have looked, I suspected that it was heavily implicit that I was talking about that stuff) I said best opening weekend for him career wise, if it can do this 33-50% of the time that would project him in the rare A-list category able to do 20m OW and paid a fortune upfront.

Edited by Barnack

I did not say highest number OW number (would not have added ? at the end, would just have looked) I said best opening weekend for him career wise, if it can do this 33-50% of the time that would project him in the rare A-list category able to do 20m OW.

But it's not the best opening of his career, career wise. He was a lead in deadpool, Green Lantern, and one of the leads in Safe House and The Proposal. If you were to make a list of the best openings of his career THB would not be at the top. Especially with Deadpool. Deadpool was Ryan Reynolds. That was his vehicle. 

12 minutes ago, Nova said:

So had it gotten a good reception I'm sure it's OW would have been much higher especially when you look at its OD

Not following box office at all at the time, I would have to rely on you, because it does not look out of the ordinary preview or OD

preview / OD / OW of super heroes in 2011 (most of them were not more well known than Green lantern were they ?)

Green lantern: $3.350 / 21.387 M/   53 M

X-Men: First Class : $3.370 / 21.399 M/ 55.1M

Thor: $3.250 /25.482 M / 65.7m

captain america first avenger: $4.000/ $25.700 M / 65 M

Is OW / opening days was lower by I imagine not as good word of mouth but not by that much

OD / OW

GL: 2.478

X-Men: 2.575

Thor: 2.578

Cap america: 2.53

All pretty much at 2.5

Lantern look ok at best, not particularly good at least not Hitman Bodyguard good if it achieve to do 20m+.

10 minutes ago, Nova said:

Deadpool was Ryan Reynolds. That was his vehicle

Come on now, Deadpool was a popular superheroes also, Adam Sandler was Jack&Jill, Deadpool was not that much Ryan Reynolds (or all Reynolds movie would play the same way)

2 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Come on now, Deadpool was a popular superheroes also, Adam Sandler was Jack&Jill, Deadpool was not that much Ryan Reynolds (or all Reynolds movie would play the same way)

Deadpool, popular super hero character?  

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Barnack said:

In what world was Deadpool popular? To comic book fans maybe but to the GA Deadpool was a nobody. Do you forget that insiders had it opening at $65M? Do you forget the predictions on this board for that movie? There's a reason for that. Because Deadpool was a completely niche character that comic book readers loved but that the GA had no clue about. It was only when that movie opened that Deadpool went fully mainstream. 

And no not all Ryan Reynolds movies would play the same because not all Ryan Reynolds movies are the same. 

Deadpool was Ryan Reynolds vehicle. That movie was a success because of what he brought to that character. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

I do not follow those stuff much but apparently he was one of the best sellers in 2015/2016 in that world and the one that was dominating the poll of the type: From every superhero that has yet to have is movie, which one would who prefer.

Are we saying that the movie opened north of 100m because of Reynolds now, that it was him, that him doing a lot of voice over/4 wall breaking in a mid budget action/movie without an IP would have done close to the same ?

5 minutes ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

Deadpool was a D-list comic book character :lol: Maybe C-list at best. 

5 minutes ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

BTW....where is ClaudeManhatten?

Trying to figure out how the horrible Hitman's Bodyguard out opened the beloved Logan Lucky. 

Just now, Barnack said:

I do not follow those stuff much but apparently he was one of the best sellers in 2015/2016 in that world and the one that was dominating the poll of the type: From every superhero that has yet to have is movie, which one would who prefer.

Are we saying that the movie opened north of 100m because of Reynolds now, that it was him, that him doing a lot of voice over/4 wall breaking in a mid budget action/movie without an IP would have done close to the same ?

He was best selling because a movie was coming out. Remember Deadpool marketing was done in 2015 and the movie came out in 2016. But don't forget that just because a comic book character is liked by comic book readers, doesn't mean he's well known to the GA

I can bet you if Dane Cook was Deadpool, that movie wouldn't have reached $130M total. 

Do you know any non strong IP movie that insider have it opening at 65m ? That was the same for Wonder Woman for a while, that how big 65m is.

No. Insiders had it at $90M. Warner Bros had WW at $65M. Insiders had Deadpool at $65M up until the week of its release and didn't know how big it would be until it actually happened. 

Edited by Nova

3 minutes ago, Nova said:

No. Insiders had it at $90M. Warner Bros had WW at $65M. Insiders had Deadpool at $65M up until the week of its release and didn't know how big it would be until it actually happened. 

I mean by that having a movie at 65m OW is giant, that not something a Reynolds action-comedy would do. There is obviously a major element that boosted it, the superheroes genre, the actual superheroes, etc...

But if you said that it was mostly an unknown and would have stayed that way with an unknown actor in the role until it's release, than fair enough, I would believe someone with that avatar over me, I thought he was a popular character (for as much popular they can be without a movie....).

Edited by Barnack

7 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I mean by that having a movie at 65m OW is giant, that not something a Reynolds action-comedy would do. There is obviously a major element that boosted it, the superheroes genre, the actual superheroes, etc...

But if you said that it was mostly an unknown and would have stayed that way with an unknown actor in the role until it's release, than fair enough.

I think you're misunderstanding what I'm saying. Comic book movies will always have an advantage because they already have a fanbase. 

Deadpool was one of the characters who was very niche. Those who loved him LOVED him. But he was not a character that the GA knew at all. In fact if you asked most people who Deadpool was before that movie came out chances are they'd say Spider-Man or Daredevil. 

But that movie was able to break through because of a fantastic marketing campaign by Reynolds and Fox AND because of how well Ryan portrayed that character. It's like would Iron Man be as big as he is if it weren't for RDJ? I don't think so. Some actors are just born for certain roles and when those roles finally fall into their laps, they take off. So yes I do believe that had Deadpool been played by anyone else, the movie would have been a bit more successful than Kick Ass but anymore than that just like I believe that if Iron Man were played by anyone other than RDJ, it would not have reached the height of success that it did. Some actors can really really bring a character to the screen and sometimes that's the difference between having your Deadpool's/Iron Man's and having your Ant-man's (no disrespect to Rudd or anything) 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 2