BadAtGender

Best Animated Feature - 2016: Zootopia, Moana, Kubo, Zucchini, Red Turtle

The Little Prince has just won the Oscar of French cinema, "Cesar Awards". I believe this accredits to be remembered by the Academy at the Oscars 2017. So follow my list:

1- Zootopia

2- Findind Dory

3- Moana

4- The Little Prince

5- ????

Edited by Gabriel Sales

On 25-2-2016 at 9:36 PM, DamienRoc said:

Familiarity in the US isn't really required for a nomination. The voting there is done entirely by the animation branch, not the Academy as a whole. Also I believe in order to vote they have to watch all potential nominees, so it's not a selection based on popularity so much as a comparison of all the films.

Heck The Boy and the World got a nom and barely anyone even knew it existed before that.

Good to know, that gives the little prince a bigger chance. Although part of the reason I liked the film as much as I did was because I read the book years ago.

Having now seen Zootopia, I have a feeling it's not a surefire win (like Inside Out). It should very much get a nomination though.

Zootopia and Finding Dory are the only 2 films locked to be nominated as of now.

I am not absolutely sure about it, but Little Prince has been garnering enough recognition to get one of the usual two foreign spots.

There has to be one anime film of course. What could it be? There's lots of possibly-good sequels and TV show movies coming this year but Oscars seemingly ignore those. So among the rest one that comes to mind as deserving (based on source material and studio) is Koe no Katachi. But oscars mostly only take up the old-school movies so that might work against it...

Anyways the fight for the third american spot will be tough. Many big movies coming out this year. I guess Moana has relatively higher chances, simply going by the WDAS' recent quality level, but that way all 3 movies would be disney's. If nothing else gets acclaim, KFP3 might get the slot too. It got decent reviews and both the prev films got a nom. Then there's Kubo and the Two strings which probably has the highest chance of them all. Its Laika's, stop-motion (so diversity), its got a fantastic cast and apparently it looks stunning. 

Nothing else stands out.

18 minutes ago, Infernus said:

There has to be one anime film of course.

Lolwut? So far, the only anime the Academy acknolledges is from Studio Ghibli, and the only announced project from that studio is an international co-production called The Red Turtle. That movie doesn't even have a confirmed American release date yet.

On 3/1/2016 at 4:12 PM, DamienRoc said:

I wonder if we could see a first. In all previous times WDAS and Pixar have both been up for the award, Pixar has won. That might change this year.

In 2013 Monster University was released and it didn't even get nominated. so technically WDAS has already beat Pixar once.

31 minutes ago, Kalo said:

In 2013 Monster University was released and it didn't even get nominated. so technically WDAS has already beat Pixar once.

Since it didn't get nominated, they were not both up for the award. 

44 minutes ago, DamienRoc said:

Since it didn't get nominated, they were not both up for the award. 

True, I am not a fan of Finding Nemo. one of the few apparently. and Finding Dory hasn't done anything to sell me to go see it, and aside from Toy Story pixar doesn't have the best track record when it comes to sequels. at this point I know it's early, but I'd say Zootopia is pretty much a shoe for BAP. kind of would like it to go up against Dory just so it can beat it though. man I really do not like Finding Nemo. really hope Dory is bad to be honest.

Edited by Kalo

1 hour ago, Kalo said:

True, I am not a fan of Finding Nemo. one of the few apparently. and Finding Dory hasn't done anything to sell me to go see it, and aside from Toy Story pixar doesn't have the best track record when it comes to sequels. at this point I know it's early, but I'd say Zootopia is pretty much a shoe for BAP. kind of would like it to go up against Dory just so it can beat it though. man I really do not like Finding Nemo. really hope Dory is bad to be honest.

:mellow:

16 hours ago, tribefan695 said:

Zootopia's a lock for a nomination to be sure, at least assuming no Lego Movie dumbassery

It's Disney. There's no way the Academy will ignore it.

Edit: Now that you've seen Zootopia, do you think it will win? I do.

Edited by cannastop

1 hour ago, cannastop said:

It's Disney. There's no way the Academy will ignore it.

Edit: Now that you've seen Zootopia, do you think it will win? I do.

It has an honest shot. It's such a surprisingly cinematic, crowd-pleasing allegory on modern culture itself, that I think it has an honest shot.

It'll just have to make the nomination hump. This is a very competitive year in animation with many big names, so something's going to have to give, but if Zootopia is one of the chosen five, it can surely contend for the win.

Just now, slambros said:

It has an honest shot. It's such a surprisingly cinematic, crowd-pleasing allegory on modern culture itself, that I think it has an honest shot.

It'll just have to make the nomination hump. This is a very competitive year in animation with many big names, so something's going to have to give, but if Zootopia is one of the chosen five, it can surely contend for the win.

How the fuck is it not going to get a nomination? Have you seen the acclaim it has, and the money it's making? I think whether or not it gets a Best Picture nomination is a better question.

On 3/2/2016 at 2:40 AM, tribefan695 said:

I'm very hyped for Finding Dory but I don't want to call it a lock yet. Until the finished product is shown to critical eyes there will always be some doubt about whether it will deliver.

I believe it will have to be straight-out bad or blandly average to not even get a nom. Even if its just above average and quite likeable, close to 80% RT, I think they will give it a nom. Being Pixar's and the sequel to such a great great movie (far more loved and praised than Monsters Inc was, if anyone wants to bring that up) would definitely mean it will get an advantage. It will have to be a 7/10 to get in line with 8/10s. In the end, though, nothing can really be said with absoluteness and there's a 100% probability of there being a probability that it might not get nominated even if it gets a 100% & 10/10 RT score and avg (an extraterrestrial attack who will leave only on the condition that it doesn't get nominated because their original planet was destroyed by a fish-alien species and so are on a mission to ignite hatred against those things in all planets or something so that they find allies in the mega war that their grand oracle predicted will happen a thousand years hence? I dunno..) so I'll say it has high enough chances to be said to be locked in a universe where nothing ever really is.

Edited by Infernus

The thing that makes it less than a lock is Andrew Stanton's last film, which with its reception would not be a best movie contender in any capacity. One could compare this to Peter Jackson doing The Hobbit after The Lovely Bones crashed and burned

• Like 1