BadAtGender

Best Animated Feature - 2016: Zootopia, Moana, Kubo, Zucchini, Red Turtle

5 minutes ago, lolifofo said:

Interesting...Wasn't really a big fan of Kubo. 

Lots of critics are. Not sure if Zootopia's going to win any more critic awards other than the NYFCC it already has. Still, critic awards don't always predict the Oscars in this category. Strong Disney bias in the Academy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

FUCKING KEITH IS THE GUY PREDICTING SING TO WIN :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: 

I feel like I'm missing out on why this is so hilarious. Has he made bad predictions in the past or something?

9 hours ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Is it safe to say this is between Kubo and Zootopia??

If so, although both are GREAT, I am rooting for Kubo!

Any other year i'd like Kubo to win just to break up the Disney Pixar monotony.

14 minutes ago, Morieris said:

Yep.

One day, Laika, but today is not that day....

I'm personally not a huge fan of Kubo. I don't think it's better than Inside Out, for instance. I wouldn't mind if it edged out Big Hero 6 for its Oscar, though.

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I'm personally not a huge fan of Kubo. I don't think it's better than Inside Out, for instance. I wouldn't mind if it edged out Big Hero 6 for its Oscar, though.

The more I think about it, the less i'm impressed with anything but the animation and fight scenes. Even in the theater I guessed the plot twist and thought, while a good bit of mythology, didn't work as a ~twist.

I'm sure their next entry will give it a sporting chance, but even with Dragon 3 being pushed back 2018 is looking fierce. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cannastop said:

Don't downplay Inside Out that much. It still has the best message I have seen in an animated movie and the whole story was far more creative than Zootopia.

Overall, it seems to me that Inside Out must be my favourite animation of the 10's... The technical aspects may not be perfect but I loved the creativity in this.

On 12/6/2016 at 4:43 AM, FantasticBeasts said:

Is it safe to say this is between Kubo and Zootopia??

If so, although both are GREAT, I am rooting for Kubo!

I think it is safe the say it is between those two, I just don't see the strong buzz for Moana in terms of awards.

2 hours ago, Morieris said:

Did anyone expect Big Hero 6 to win two years ago? I sure didn't, but it was HTTYD 2's to lose and lose it did.

BH6 made more money. And more than that, it wasn't ever viewed as a box office disappointment. HTTYD2 had a few things that probably held it back. First, it wasn't quite as good as the first film, so even though it was great, it was seen as a step down. Second, it got overshadowed in terms of business by 22 Jump Street, so not only did it underperform, it looked like it lost. Third it wasn't a Disney film. In comparison, BH6 beat a Christopher Nolan film, didn't have any other film to specifically be compared against, and was actually from Disney. It also didn't have to contend with a Pixar film in the same year, historically a problem point for WDAS.

However, had LEGO gotten a nom, it almost certainly would have won. (It shouldn't have, IMO, but it would have.) The thing about the Animated Feature Oscar is that while it sometimes might happen that the best film gets the award, the inherent quality isn't going to be the reason for said win.

• Like 1