chasmmi

Chasmmi's Top Rundown of 2015 from worst to best - Time to release 7th up to 4th, I predict 2 yays, 1 huh? and 1 $%@! from the viewing public :D

14 hours ago, Kalo said:

I LOVE you posters! they are so adorable! use them for everything!

Maybe I shall :)

The reason I put the comments in spoilers is so that people can play the game of trying to work out what the hell film I am trying to draw.

Speaking of which...

69th

knock_knock.png

Spoiler

Knock Knock

Anticipated /Expected Score - About 60-70/100

Actual Score - 53/100

Unlike The Green Inferno, I had little to no expectations for this film. I wanted to see it purely because I was hoping that Keanu would be able to follow up John Wick with anther great film. Alas, this was the Keanu Reeves that we all know and love - bad film, awful acting and just very silly in the wrong ways.

The message of the story was very silly too and just didn't work or make sense and the twist failed big time. Overall though, I wasn't expecting big things from it, so I don't despise the film, it's just a film whose only impact on my life was that after watching it, I was about 100 minutes closer to death.

68th

Peanuts.png

Spoiler

Peanuts

Anticipated /Expected Score - About 75-85/100

Actual Score - 55/100

I'm sorry, I wanted to like it, really I did. Sadly the mistake the film made if it was trying to market itself to me specifically, was that it feels like a true Charlie Brown film. I never really like Charlie Brown, even as a kid and so me not liking it actually probably means the film did a pretty good job for the audience that mattered.

I gave it a shot though, wasn't my thing (felt too much like 9 short cartoons smashed together to make a film), I am going to move along to an entry that will likely piss 1 or 2 people off for placing where it is placing :)

• Like 2

67th

It_follows.png

Spoiler

It Follows

Anticipated /Expected Score - About 85-92/100

Actual Score - 59/100

This is yet another horror film that I am placing low on my list. Unlike things like Poltergeist though, this one has a lot of love from the film-going populace. Therefore I was ready to get on board with the hype and the opening scene kept me on board. I really liked the build up of something horrible was happening and it was inescapable.

However (and this I accept can happily be because I merrily miss the whole point of the film), after the opening 30 minutes or so, I found myself wanting the film to go somewhere. I have read a couple of people's views that the great thing about this film is that there is no reason, no escape, no way to 'win' the film so to speak, but for me that was the weakness.

I was hoping to see this film take a ring style turn where the main characters go back through the time line of victims to find the original victim (I would assume maybe a girl who was murdered by drowning in the ocean just after sex or something). I wanted some semblance of reason as to why this was happening and it didn't come. This one minor thing became the difference between a film I could have found great to a film that I almost liked (60/100 is my bar for kind of liking a film at least to some extent.)

• Like 1

66th

Get_Hard.png

Spoiler

Get Hard

Anticipated /Expected Score - About 70-80/100

Actual Score - 61/100

And we finally turn the table from a film I almost liked onto a film I almost disliked. There are distasteful jokes in this, it isn't the most politically correct film ever made, but it has moments of being funny and was pretty fine to get through.

This is the second lowest comedy on my list which suggest I am pretty easy to please with comedies. I can watch them and accept them about 97% of the time (which often means when I dislike them, I really really dislike them).

Overall, this film is what you would expect from Ferrell and Hart cashing in a pay check and is the sort of film I would have rented from Blockbuster  as the second film you could rent for 99p if you rented it alongside a premium title. Your life is not any emptier for having not seen it, but there is stuff to enjoy.

• Like 1

65th

The_Visit.png

Spoiler

The Visit

Anticipated /Expected Score - About 75-85/100

Actual Score - 65/100

M. Night has been doing whatever the opposite of going from strength to strength is with his recent films (although I did not mind After Earth personally), but this film was vaunted as a much welcome return to form from the once future Steven Spielberg.

For me though it was a very mixed bag, parts of it were creepy and well done, but other things (like the rapping) were cringeworthy to say the least. Overall though, this was a decentish film that could have been a lot better or a lot worse.  

• Like 2

64th

The_Night_Before.png

Spoiler

The Night Before

Anticipated /Expected Score - About 70-75/100

Actual Score - 66/100

Seth Rogen is the sort of comedian I will always try to see the films of even though 85% of what I see is pretty meh. This is another case of meh-ness being the case. There are parts of this I really though was well done and was quite funny, but there were other parts that didn't work at all and those parts also sadly dragged longer than they needed to.

This film is ultimately harmless enough to put on in the background, or to watch when it hit TV over Christmas time. But it is not worth specifically tracking down to add to your DVD collection.

• Like 1

63rd

50_shade.png

Spoiler

Fifty Shades of Gray 

Anticipated /Expected Score - About 5-15/100

Actual Score - 68/100

This film really annoyed me, but not for the reasons one would expect. I sat down to watch this fully prepared to sit through the worst thing I  had seen since Twilight or maybe even worse. Everything was lined up for this to be an abomination with tits, it was going to be glorious.

But what happens? It seems that the actors never got the memo that this was supposed to be awful. There were people in this film that actually tried to put together a half decent film and what happened is that it actually lifted itself to watchable. I by no means enjoyed or liked the film and if it had been something I was looking forward to, it may have scored about 45 or 50.

The fact that it stems from such rotten source material and had everything going for it to be totally awful, is why I give this film like 20 bonus points for not being terrible. I would actually sit through this film again (although not of my own volition).

Luckily for 2017, the book's writer noticed the undertone of some semblance of quality threatening to break through onto screen and is now doing their utmost to make sure that doesn't happen again by removing everyone of competence from the production. :)

• Like 1

62nd

Krampus.png

Spoiler

Krampus

Anticipated /Expected Score - About 78-87/100

Actual Score - 68/100

Another film with moments (including one that made me think there was a better animated film that did not get made) that could have been great given the premise but too often fell into the realms of silliness.

This film took about 70 minutes to get going properly, but there was enough here for me to consider it a decent camp Xmas horror film and again, I would watch this again if it was on, but if I never saw it again so be it. I do hope it inspires more films like this to get made at a cinematic level though.

• Like 1

61st

Fantastic_4.png

Spoiler

Fantastic Four

Anticipated /Expected Score - About 35-45/100

Actual Score - 69/100

The next film that I refused to believe could be as bad as people said it was, but by the time I headed into the cinema, my head had been turned by the naysayers and I was prepared for a disaster.

Then for the next 45-60 minutes I sat there wandering who had pissed in so many peoples' shreddies in order for them to be so disproportionately irate at this film. It was fine. Dare I say even good. ...and then 'One Year Later' happened, and then the Thing never jumped out of a helicopter, and then the ending.

This is a rare beast where you can literally see a studio executive do a Simpsons style 'Yoink!' of the camera from the director and shut him in a box somewhere until filming was done. The final 20 minutes of this is stupid ridiculous and awful. Thus, instead of redeeming the dearth of action in the opening 80 with an awesome final conclusion, it turned a film that had promise into something that can and should be ridiculed.

Still isn't as bad as most say though.  

• Like 2

60th

What_we_do_in_shadows.png

Spoiler

What We Do in the Shadows

Anticipated /Expected Score - About 75/100

Actual Score - 72/100

A comedy that many people here were really talking up but I was still dubious about. I'm not a big fan of the Conchords stuff and this general brand of humour is something that I don't hate, but also don't see why people rave about it.

The film is silly and sweet and if you like the humour style, you'll likely think it was great. Personally for me though, there were a lot of funnier films out there this year.

• Like 1

59th

Sisters.png

Spoiler

Sisters

Anticipated /Expected Score - About 45=50/100

Actual Score - 74/100

We are finally going on a solid run of films that exceeded expectations (well if 3 films can be considered a run and if it counts when expectations were the gutter :) )

Sisters looked bad. Sisters sounded bad. Everything about sisters made me think that Pitch Perfect 2 may get a run for its money as worst comedy of the year. Yet that was not the case. This film actually had some heart, actually had some jokes and actually made me want to see John Cena get more film roles, just so long as they are comedies.

There are many worse ways to spend 90 minutes of your life than this. I recommend it.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, chasmmi said:

61st

Fantastic_4.png

Hide contents

Fantastic Four

Anticipated /Expected Score - About 35-45/100

Actual Score - 69/100

The next film that I refused to believe could be as bad as people said it was, but by the time I headed into the cinema, my head had been turned by the naysayers and I was prepared for a disaster.

Then for the next 45-60 minutes I sat there wandering who had pissed in so many peoples' shreddies in order for them to be so disproportionately irate at this film. It was fine. Dare I say even good. ...and then 'One Year Later' happened, and then the Thing never jumped out of a helicopter, and then the ending.

This is a rare beast where you can literally see a studio executive do a Simpsons style 'Yoink!' of the camera from the director and shut him in a box somewhere until filming was done. The final 20 minutes of this is stupid ridiculous and awful. Thus, instead of redeeming the dearth of action in the opening 80 with an awesome final conclusion, it turned a film that had promise into something that can and should be ridiculed.

Still isn't as bad as most say though.  

I had almost the same reaction. expect I think the ending was so horrific it almost ruined my enjoyment of the first 45 minutes or so.

• Like 1

58th

paul_Blart.jpg

Spoiler

Anticipated /Expected Score - About 45-55/100

Actual Score - 74/100

I saw the first Paul Blart film and it was as one would expect: a film that exists which can cause a chuckle or two if you refrain from engaging brain. Since comedy sequels are rarely great and this wasn't the most groundbreaking of films to sequel to, I wasn't expecting anything at all from this.

However, there are actually a chuckle or two to be had here also. Of course it is neither big, nor clever and is easy to hate if you want any dort of substance to your comedy. But in the end, if you want something to exist in the background that is in cinematic form, this film does that job just fine.  

57th

Cooties.jpg

Spoiler

Cooties

Anticipated /Expected Score - About 60-65/100

Actual Score - 75/100

This was good ol' B Movie fun. Silly premise, essentially a zombie film but the children are zombies. With a school setting suitably claustrophobic for this type of film, there was potential for this to be pretty great but it also could have been pretty awful. In the end, it was just pretty decent.

If you come across it, and you like silly, but not that scary horror, give it a try and have a bit of fun. Not much more to say about it really.   

On 3/14/2016 at 7:58 PM, chasmmi said:

57th

Cooties.jpg

Hide contents

Anticipated /Expected Score - About 60-65/100

Actual Score - 75/100

This was good ol' B Movie fun. Silly premise, essentially a zombie film but the children are zombies. With a school setting suitably claustrophobic for this type of film, there was potential for this to be pretty great but it also could have been pretty awful. In the end, it was just pretty decent.

If you come across it, and you like silly, but not that scary horror, give it a try and have a bit of fun. Not much more to say about it really.   

Which movie is this?

So this kind of got seriously delayed due to becoming deathly ill and so I need to try and complete it sooner rather than later. Sadly this means putting the pictures on the back burner until I hit top 20 :(

But that said, time to burn through 10 entries now and with any luck be at the top 25 by Tuesday at latest...

54th

In The Heart of the Sea

Anticipated /Expected Score - About 80-85/100

Actual Score - 75/100

This film went onto my radar when it got moved into Oscar Season. A Moby Dick epic with big special effects and a good story sounded like something I could really get on board with.

Sadly after a promising opening 30 minutes or so, it kind of fell away into okay-ness. There are some nice scenes and good set pieces. Hemsworth also does a good job leading the film, but it could have been so much more.  

53rd

Ted 2

Anticipated /Expected Score - About 70-75/100

Actual Score - 76/100

So I find Family Guy to be one of the worst things to ever happen to either television or animation, it is horribly awful in my eyes. So the prospect of watching the Ted films was not high on my agenda. However I happened to see the first one and it was surprisingly okay, actually even had some nice moments and I was thus prepared to give the second one a shot too…

… and it was perfectly serviceable. There were some high moments and some low moments and I have to admit I laughed more than once. I am down with there being no more installments of the franchise, but I may be tempted to watch the third one if it ever happens.